JetBlue Aug. 5th

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
oldxfr8dog said:
As far as scheduling, pay, QOL life, it's just another airline.
Your enthusiasm is commendable, Dogwood. You will feel differently in a few years.

Freight Dog,

Yes, you are correct. In some ways it's just another airline. So is Southwest and all the others.

I have made the personal decision to have fun and enjoy my remaining years (14) in this industry. Some days it's easier than others. If I can't enjoy this, I will look for employment elsewhere.

I really doubt I will feel any differently down the road. Right now I am a bottom guy, commuting to JFK, to sit in a crashpad. I can't imaging it getting much worse than that, and it's not been that bad.

One can make up for that by having a good time on the trips, and enjoying the time at home. It's not that difficult.

JetBlue is, what you make it to be. You will only get out as much as you put into it.

It's the airline industry, what else can I say?

Thanks for the reply.

DW

If I were to be hired at Jetblue, which I would like to be, how is the commute? I am from Florida, the Tampa Bay area, and would like to return there and raise my family. How is the commute? Seats available? Flights per day? What is the callout? 24-hr reserve? 2-hr reserve? Can you watch your name on the reserve list via computer at home, and when you name starts coming up, then get on an airplane and get into position?
What are you getting for a crashpad, and what is it casting you?
Thanks

Pilottodd2 said:
If I were to be hired at Jetblue, which I would like to be, how is the commute? I am from Florida, the Tampa Bay area, and would like to return there and raise my family. How is the commute? Seats available? Flights per day? What is the callout? 24-hr reserve? 2-hr reserve? Can you watch your name on the reserve list via computer at home, and when you name starts coming up, then get on an airplane and get into position?
Thanks

I understand the commute from Fla is tough. I can't help you much on that one.

2 hr RSV callout, really need to be in base. It's hard to tell when they will call you. It's not strictly who's next on the list. Based on avail days, month to date time, etc.

Crashpads in JFK run about $200 - $275

DW

Corn Julio said:
Hey DW...
You have only a couple of months in B6. Please don't be a tool and speak for the pilot group and "the culture". I have over 5 years seniority on you. No I don't carry miniature airplanes for UM's, etc.
I still can do a fantastic job without all that koolaid!!!!

PUUUHHHLEEEZZZZEEE! how arrogant!

most guys hired at B6 in the last year or two have more time in the lavs of their formal airlines than you have at B6! i bet you don't run off about how senior you are at B6 to furloughed bubbas you fly with do you? they will put you in your place in a HURRY!

do us a favor...if you have issues (which we all do) take it out on your own family, and don't rain on the newbies parade!

Pilottodd2 said:
Thanks

Lots of commuters from just about all FL cities, except maybe Fort Meyers. There are 2 jumpseats in the cockpit and 2 F/A jumpseats in the cabin. The 2 up front are for the pilots first. The 2 in the back are for the F/As first. As far as flights per day...that changes a lot based on the season.

Commuting to reserve is no fun. However, reserve has only run as high as about 4.5-5 months within the last year for an A320 FO. I've heard numbers as high as 92% of flight crews commute to JFK from all 50 states (yes, I've met the guy from AK and another from Hawaii who are, or were based in JFK). Reserve has a two hour callout, so I would highly suggest that you not try to outsmart the system by staying at home and commuting in when your name starts getting towards the top. We use the "bucket system" for reserves. Say you have 5 days of reserve and there are only 2-day trips available. You probably wouldn't be called out. But, if someone were to call in sick for a five day trip, you'd get the call.

Crashpads in Kew Gardens are running in the $240-270 range per month. Some are nicer than others with gym membership, bi-monthly maid service, wireless high speed, etc... I had one in Forest Hills that was awful (way too many flight attendants)...do I hear George Thorogood singing "You Talk Too Much"? Company shuttle hourly from JFK-Kew Gardens-HQ-JFK costs $3 one-way.

Good luck with your pursuit. Have a great day.

Cheers!

GP

Pilottodd2 said:
Thanks for the info. Now all I have to do is get an interview.
Can anyone help me on that one?

Unfortunately the only way a buddy can help you out is by giving you a "Blue Dart" which basically guarantees you an interview. Only after the interview and background check will letter's of recommendation be considered.

Blue Darts are given awarded to pilots on a random basis (I may not get one for 5+ years). The JB pilot with the dart will give it to a buddy which, if he/she meets the minimum requirements, will get them an interview. The interviewers have absolutely no idea if the candidate they are interviewing is a "Blue Dart" or not. Pretty good system, I think.

GP

Corn Julio said:
Hey DW...
You have only a couple of months in B6. Please don't be a tool and speak for the pilot group and "the culture". I have over 5 years seniority on you. No I don't carry miniature airplanes for UM's, etc.

You're the tool. Please remind me to bow my head to you when you enter the crew room great senior pilot at B6. LOL.

Corn Julio said:
Hey DW...

Yeah boys let me you tell you how it was back in 2000. Yep it just ain't the same.......................WHATEVER!

If there's weather you don't want leather.

Latest resources

Back