• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue and American?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OK. When? If JetBlue being stand alone after 12 years isn't enough, how many years will it take for you to stop saying "any day now, its about to happen, its only a matter of when"....

Just more vague open ended noncommittal fear mongering.

I get it. Its just about to happen! Any day now! Can't be much longer! Its just a matter of when, not if!

12... whole years?

All these airlines were on thier own too, until they weren't. It's not fear mongering, it's history. I'm not saying it's gonna happen, truely hope it doesn't. But don't pretend it can't or won't.

1. Air West
  2. 1968 - Pacific Air Lines (originally Southwest Airways), Bonanza Air Lines, and West Coast Airlines merged to form Air West
  • 1970 - Howard Hughes purchased Air West and renamed it Hughes Airwest
  1. AirTran Airways
  2. 1997 - Bought by ValuJet Airlines, kept the AirTran name
  1. Alaska Airlines
  2. 1986 - Acquired Jet America Airlines.
  • 1986 - Acquired Horizon Air, which continues to operate as a separate airline.
  1. America West Airlines
    • 2005 - Acquired bankrupt US Airways, retaining the US Airways name.
  1. American Airlines
  2. 1971 - Acquired Trans Caribbean Airways
  1. Continental Airlines
  2. - Texas International
  • - Frontier
  • - People Express
  • - New York Air
  • 2010-2012 - Merged with United Airlines. Overtook Delta as the world's largest airline by passenger traffic in 2011, kept United name.
  1. Delta Air Lines
  2. 1924 - Started as Huff Daland Dusters
  • 1928 - Huff Daland Dusters was purchased by C.E. Woolman and renamed Delta Air Service after the Mississippi Delta
  • 1953 - Purchased the Chicago and Southern Air Lines, and flew under the name Delta C&S for the next two years
  • 1972 - Purchased Northeast Airlines
  • 1984 - Established the Delta Connection (ASA, Comair, Skywest, ...)
  • 1987 - Merged with Western Airlines
  • 1991 - Purchase of Pan Am's European routes, and acquired Pan Am's shuttle, forming what is today Delta Shuttle
  • 1996 - Delta Express began service, ended November 2003
  • 2003 - Song began service, ended May 2006
  • 2008-2010 - Merged with Northwest Airlines. Became the world's largest carrier by passenger traffic in 2008, kept Delta name
  1. Eastern Airlines
    • 1991 -ceased operation while in bankruptcy
  1. Hughes Airwest
  2. 1970 - Howard Hughes purchased Air West and renamed it Hughes Airwest
  • 1980 - Republic Airlines bought out Hughes Airwest
  1. Northwest Airlines
  2. 1916 - Founded by Col. Lewis Patenaude, under the name Northwest Airways
  • 1927 - Began flying passengers
  • 1949 - With its new routes to the far east, re-branded itself as Northwest Orient Airlines
  • 1986 - Purchased Republic Airlines, and dropped the word Orient from its brand name
  • 2008-2010 - Merged with Delta. Became world's largest airline by passenger traffic in 2008 under the Delta name.
  1. Ozark Airlines
    • 1986 - Purchased by TWA
  1. Pan Am
  2. 1979 - Merged with National Airlines
  • 1991 - Delta Air Lines purchased Pan Am's European routes, and acquired Pan Am's Shuttle
  1. Republic Airlines
  2. 1979 - Formed by the merger of North Central Airlines and Southern Airways
  • 1980 - Bought out Hughes Airwest
  • 1986 - Northwest purchased Republic Airlines
  1. Republic Airways Holdings
  2. 2005 - Acquired Shuttle America.
  1. SkyWest Airlines
  1. Southwest Airlines
  2. 1985 - Acquired Muse Air
  1. Trans World Airlines
  2. 1986 - Purchased Ozark Airlines
  • 2001 - American Airlines purchased TWA, retained name American Airlines
  1. United Airlines
  2. - Merged with Capital
  • 2010-2012 - Merged with Continental Airlines. Surpassed Delta as the world's largest carrier by passenger traffic. Kept United name
  1. US Airways
  2. - Started as All American Aviation Company, renamed All American Airlines and then Allegheny Airlines
  1. Western Airlines
  2. 1925 - First incorporated as Western Air Express by Harris Hanshue
  • 1926 - Western's first flight took place
  • 1928 - Reincorporated as Western Air Express Corp.
  • 1930 - Purchased Standard Airlines (subsidiary of Aero Corp. of Ca. founded in 1926). WAE with Fokker aircraft merged with Transcontinental Air Transport to form TWA.
  • 1934 - Western Air Express broke off from TWA and briefly changed its name to General Air Lines, returning to the name Western Air Express after several months
  • 1941 - Western Air Express changed its name to Western Air Lines, which was later altered to Western Airlines
  • 1967 - merged with Pacific Northern Airlines
  • 1987 - Delta merged with Western Airlines (kept Delta name)

Last edited:
Obviously I was referring to the ELT and board being willing participants...

Never said it can't happen, if JB is willing.

Obviously I was referring to the ELT and board being willing participants...

Never said it can't happen, if JB is willing.

You're kidding right? The only reason we haven't been sold yet is because the right price has yet to be offered. What if someone offers $9,10 or 11 a share? SOLD!

You're kidding right? The only reason we haven't been sold yet is because the right price has yet to be offered. What if someone offers $9,10 or 11 a share? SOLD!

You're kidding right? How the ******************** do you know? God damn ********************ing pilots that think they are on the board of directors.

Tell me something skippy, if we are so hot, so valuable, so in play, so doomed to be acquired, why hasn't anyone offered the money yet? Where is the money? Were companies prohibited from making offers before right now?

You're kidding right? How the ******************** do you know? God damn ********************ing pilots that think they are on the board of directors.

Tell me something skippy, if we are so hot, so valuable, so in play, so doomed to be acquired, why hasn't anyone offered the money yet? Where is the money? Were companies prohibited from making offers before right now?

The value of our assets have matured and the "landscape" of the US airline industry has changed. Before Delta/NW, the shares of the pie were smaller. Today, with DL/NW and UAL/CAL, the pie has much fewer but much larger slices. To effectively compete at the party, a larger piece of pie is required. Why did SWA feel the need to acquire AT? They were already the largest domestic airline. Today, more so than at any other time, JB presents a true value to any company with a weakness in the NE and Carribean markets. As the competition decreases in size, the value of our slots also increases for anyone lacking access or looking for more. The value of JB can be seen simply by looking at the increasing RASM numbers coupled with the relative ease we have in quickly succeeding in new markets. At what point is the potential of our slots maxed out and are we making the maximum amount of money using them. If we have reached that point, the only way to further increase thier value is to sell them for a higher price. To whom, and how we, as a company go about that is inconsequential. The only thing that should matter to the pilots is how that COULD effect us. Will it happen? Your guess is as good as mine, but IF it does we will be an afterthought to the deal. A CBA will atleast move us a little closer to the middle and provide us a bit of a say in our futures. As it stands now, we have NONE.

You and I usually agree, but here you are wrong, my man.

JP and the board are numbers/money people. The reason we haven't been sold up to this point is that JP and his cronies believe that they can drive the price up and make more money by strengthening the balance sheet and acquiring more assets (i.e. slots, etc.) We haven't been sold because JP thinks if he hangs on to us a little while longer, and dumps a bit more money into asset acquisition (i.e. the slot buy, newer aircraft, 321's, etc.) he will get a bigger return on his investment.

Make no mistake about it, JP could give a $hit about the airline, running it, growing it, anything. He is a money man, plain and simple. This place is a cash cow to him. The only reason JetBlue is still JetBlue is because JP hasn't been offered what he feels is enough money yet. He thinks he can hang on and make more money, so that's what he's doing. Take a look at what has happened since Barger has took over. The balance sheet has gotten stronger. We have more slots than we used to have. We have less debt. All of this is intended to drive up the stock price, which they have been mildly successful at lately. It's closing in on $6 a share. Still less than when I got hired, but it's getting better.

Nothing is going to happen until AA emerges from BK. Horton wants to be the big fish eating the little minnow, and while he's in BK he can't do that. After they emerge, what will happen? Merger with B6? I don't know, I can't gauge what JP is thinking. If JP thinks he can still grow the company and increase his $$$$ before selling, he'll say no. If AA offers him enough and/or JP thinks that's the best he's going to do, then welcome to the AMR umbrella.

The point is, we've got time. We can get a union in place before this happens. AA is saying sometime after the first of the year they exit bankruptcy. When that happens, game on. We have until then. However, I believe this is our last chance. Could I be wrong? Sure, I could. I don't know what JP and the board is thinking. But, hope for the best and plan for the worst. Looking at the retirement picture, even with a staple, a merger with AA is not a bad thing. We'll all retire as widebody captains. I'm totally OK with that.

If we get a union, I say bring it on!

Don't worry, it won't take the management tools at AA more than a couple of years before they destroy all morale and customer service at Jet Blue.

It too the mananagment tools here at jetblue less than a decade to so that...

We're throwing around "you'd have to be a fool to believe" quite a bit here. Can I just say that we are on Flightinfo, and leave it at that? I think everything here speaks for itself. It's a bunch of blowhards posturing and getting all macho, all while remaining anonymous.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back