• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue ALPA drive

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm more comfortable with the notion of negotiating pay/benefit cuts and freezes as deemed necessary than simply having them imposed. Take it or leave it contract terms just don't cut it anymore.
screw'em might not have been the correct word, but to think you can operate without considering the impact on the people who buy tickets and have instant access to the cheapest fare from A to B, is not reality. You sound wise in understanding there may have to be give backs to survive. As man who has been between job many times, from my view a lower paying job is better than no job. But only my view, besides I really like flying airplanes

The 60 day window for the FAA's new flight/duty time NPRM has begun....

The ATA has some very strong opinions about it...
ATA: We back pilot-rest rules that are science-based, improve safety
The FAA on Friday unveiled its long-awaited rules on pilot rest, kicking off a 60-day public comment period that could generate significant controversy. Under the proposed rules, pilots would be required to have nine hours of rest time prior to flying, a one-hour increase over current levels. Weekly and monthly rest requirements also would be updated, with some guidelines increased by up to 25%. The airline industry has warned that inflexible work rules would drive up costs and endanger a shaky recovery. Bloomberg (9/10) , Reuters (9/10) , Google/The Associated Press (9/10)

Right now, the ATA speaks for Jetblue pilots. They will determine what is best for jetblue pilots. In their opinion a "shakey recovery" is more important than safety.

ALPA pilots, thru ALPA National who have long standing relationships with congressional offices, White House contacts and contact with FAA Administrator Babbitt, former ALPA president, will be able to discuss the issues with the above govt representatives. Will ALPA get everything it wants? Does anyone?

Who will the Jetblue pilots call? Ghostbusters? The fun times are over.... Seriously guys, it is time to take control of your careers.

unintended consequence things.

The 60 day window for the FAA's new flight/duty time NPRM has begun.....
So you are saying it will not change costs, and if it does change costs where will the additional revenue come from, the passengers? What if they elect to ride in fewer numbers and lay offs result?

Wait, you want the pilots to pay for the changes in the FAR's?

Should we then assume, that if the FAA required fire suppression in your freighters, you would take it out of your pilots pay check?

Take control? Isn't that a bit of a stretch, don't ya think? If the UAL pilots were in control right after 9/11, would they have taken the pay/benefit cuts?
They negotiated and voted for their own paycuts.... so the DAL and NWA guys... I call that control.... much more than what the jb have...

And will the jetBlue pilots get the payraises and retirements they're looking for if the company isn't profitable?
If it is in a CBA... yes.

Just how much "control" will the pilots REALLY have? This is the kind of false advertising that gets ALOT of people upset with ALPA.
Perhaps you dream of being a manager or get euphoric when management tells pilots that they are 'leaders' of the company.

Management controls the company. Always has, always will....

Air Line Pilots do not run airlines.

One thing is for certain if JB votes ALPA on property: alot more revenue for Herndon.
Not really.... I would suspect, initially, the JB pilot group would be an additional cost to ALPA... however, if the JB pilots decide that ALPA is not a good ROI they can decertify.... you know that whole control thing....

Look I know democracy and the addtional work of managing your own career is frightening for many. It is easy to get attracted to the ideal of "I just want to fly my trip and go home" and hand the reins over to management and let them decide pay, work rules and benefits.... but this has been going on for decades now, and since before 1931 pilots have wanted to self govern their profession.

Now that we are done... can you answer the following...

Since you advocate an in house union for jb pilots...

The in house effort, JBPA failed... Why?

How long will it take an in house union to become effective?

Who at Jetblue would be the leaders of this in house union?

Is USAPA a good or bad example of going in house?

What would the dues rate be at an jetblue in house?
Since there really isn't an in house option.. the only real choices are

Status quo. Management and the ATA speak for jb pilots

ALPA. jb pilots get their own MEC and self govern.
So of those two real choices? Which is best for jb pilots?

Just how much "control" will the pilots REALLY have? This is the kind of false advertising that gets ALOT of people upset with ALPA.

One thing is for certain if JB votes ALPA on property: alot more revenue for Herndon.

The most anyone can reasonably ask for is a seat at the table, and the authority to make enforceable agreements. That's it. The actual agreements depend largely on factors outside our, or anyone's, control. But even that limited influence is better than none.

Besides all that, certain basic services and protections are either disallowed or unproven outside of a CBA, even a really bad one. And I have enough faith in our pilot group to choose wise representation from among our 2000 pilots that I'm not concerned that our first CBA will be any worse than we have it right now, plus we'll be covered under the law for those things we can't do now. If that means 1.95% of my pay is deducted for such purposes, it seems like a bargain to me. We're giving away quite a bit more than that already by not having a CBA anyway.

Your argument sounds a lot like getting mad at the insurance company for taking your premiums if your house *doesn't* burn down. I'm frankly puzzled.

Take control? Like Braniff, Eastern, Pan Am, et al.?

Just three? Surely you can come up with more failed airlines than that!

Better yet... can you tie over 50 bankrupt airlines to just 5 guys?

Last edited:
Wait, you want the pilots to pay for the changes in the FAR's?

Should we then assume, that if the FAA required fire suppression in your freighters, you would take it out of your pilots pay check?
Pilots are not paying for increases in costs, purchasers of air fare will pay for the increased cost. Some will elect not to pay, and find a lower cost i.e Bus, car, etc.
Take control? Like Braniff, Eastern, Pan Am, et al.?
Hey this is FI, stop dealing in reality

Last edited:
The most anyone can reasonably ask for is a seat at the table, and the authority to make enforceable agreements. That's it. The actual agreements depend largely on factors outside our, or anyone's, control. But even that limited influence is better than none.
Actually there is an entire political world out there waiting to be tapped and leveraged....

For example, local politicians and boards can determine policy interpretations when a labor group pickets. From the size of the area to the number of pilots that picket.

Now, I am not saying that one should vote for a local candidate because you want a large area to march with many pilots... just don't be surprised if the opposite occurs because there is an anti labor politician or board that authorizes your picketing permit.

Dave Behncke ALPA's first President was wise to affiliate with the American Federal of Labor. He knew how to build relationships with political leaders. There is an entire support network out there to be tapped, but you gotta give to get.... It takes time and perseverance... It is not for the "I just want to fly my trip and go home" crowd.

Besides all that, certain basic services and protections are either disallowed or unproven outside of a CBA, even a really bad one. And I have enough faith in our pilot group to choose wise representation from among our 2000 pilots that I'm not concerned that our first CBA will be any worse than we have it right now, plus we'll be covered under the law for those things we can't do now. If that means 1.95% of my pay is deducted for such purposes, it seems like a bargain to me. We're giving away quite a bit more than that already by not having a CBA anyway.
No doubt there are smart and education pilots in your ranks. As a MEC you'd be able to really decide your own course...

In the bad times, like this decade, many pilots want ALPA to be a union, where a small group of leaders "get things done". However, when the economy booms and each pilot group can negotiate from its own growth, they don't want to be hindered by a national plan to set wages....

Thus the autonomy of the MECs.

Plus the 1.95% is tax deductible.

Your argument sounds a lot like getting mad at the insurance company for taking your premiums if your house *doesn't* burn down. I'm frankly puzzled.
I just was honest answers from him....

Latest resources

Back