• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue 190 Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

To answer your second question, well, I won't go there because I get flamed enough already. But IMO, a move from a regional to JB is not lateral in many respects. I guess from an equipment standpoint it is but QOL is pretty good at JetBlue and the future looks pretty bright from where I sit.

Yes those are all things to consider.

I just think that a guy that has been a regional Capt would hold out for the BUS. Pay wise may be a toss up.

Mark

Vette racer, did you read the posts above? The guy JUST said that it will be ONE LIST, there is NO flowthrough! Its a different equipment type, kinda like if you went from the BE1900 to the ATR or the MD80 to the 737. Just because it is an Embraer doesn't mean that you need a flowthrough to get to an Airbus, Are we so locked into the current lousy state of things that we can't accept this concept?!?

The Embraer 195 has 5 more seats than a 737-500. What's the difference? Because its an Embraer its an RJ? What if Embraer came up with an airplane that had as many seats as a 777, would that too be an RJ?

The major airlines of this world have done wonders to us, talk about a smoke screen. Pretty soon they are going to start painting the word "Embraer" on their 737's just so pilots will accept lower "RJ" pay on them without question. "Well, it is an RJ I guess."

No, I don't work at JetBlue but I at least understand the concept of a major airline flying Embraer equipment. In my opinion, ALL Embraer jets should be operated by the mainline. In this respect, Jetblue is FAR FAR ahead of the pack. To have all their airplanes operated by the same group is worth its weight in gold, even if they have to accept a lower pay rate initially to get all the airplanes on a single list. It stops that nasty whipsaw which is so prevelant at all the other airlines. Even USair screwed up because those E170's are NOT operated at USair, they are a seperate company. One list isn't just the best way, its the ONLY way to fix our dwindling profession. Which is why I hope JetBlue will call me every single day. Down the road, the pilots at Jetblue will be much better off as a result of their operating all their companies aircraft. Regardless of what manufacturer's name is painted on its side.

vetteracer said:
Thanks for the replies. What is the speculation for having them up and running?

I guess the question will be the availability to have the flow through to the A320.

Mark

Maybe I don't understand the term flow through, but if you meant switch from one airplane to another, I guess that could be considered flow through. And yes, after you have fulfilled your 2 year equipment freeze, you would be free to switch to the A320 (or vice versa) if you wanted to. Like I said, one seniority list for the company.

C yaaa

Mr HAT, sorry for my lack of airline vocabulary. I am not an airline pilot, never have been, so some of the industry lingo I am still learning. Sorry for the incompetence.

As a Regional Cpt/Check-airman there is no way I would take a job at JB only to take a 40k pay cut and then upgrade to the 190 and make less than I am making right now. With those pay rates you better start shopping for pilots at Perdue.

From the Financial Times
---JETBLUE PAYS HIGH PRICE FOR EXPANSION---
JetBlue confirmed the challenges of operating in the highly competitive
transcontinental markets when it reported its operating margin had fallen
24 percent over the year and its earnings were below expectations. The
airline has expanded aggressively to take advantage of the problems at the
legacy carriers. However, its operating revenue per available seat miles
fell 8.1 percent to 6.87 cents. In spite of the fall in margin, JetBlue's
margins remain the highest in the industry. The airline's cost structure
also remains among the best in the sector, with its costs per available
seat mile falling 3 percent in the quarter to 5.9 cents.

bad news for regionals

for all of those guys at regionals who don't want to work for jb because of the payrates...stand by for more bad news...the industry is changing...FOREVER!

majors are losing their defined benefit plans, and pay is going down up to 30% @ the legacies. and even if you wanted to work for a legacy you will eventually have to put time in at a "pinnacle" type operation to sneak onto a mainline seniority list then be able to flow up to mainline as positions avail. gone will be the days of interviewing with dal or ual and going into the right seat of a 737. you will go into the right seat of a embraer 190 or some 70 seater.

so, as a regional guy one has to ponder...making 90K forever...or biting the bullet and taking the hit to make a higher salary down the road. depends on lots of variables but i would imagine that you will see more career regional pilots over the long term

of course, this is just an opinion, but i hear dal is talking about a separate entity flying 70-100 seaters for mainline pilots/furloughs...then dci guys can decide if they want to come over to that list.

cheers

Turn&pull,

I find it odd that only a few years ago, most regional pilots were trying hard to leave their respective regional airline and the captain pay to go to a major airline and live their entire first year making 36K or less with NO opportunity for overtime and NO hope for anything other than reserve. Now, those same folks are complaining about making 45K or more (including perdiem) their first year with little or NO reserve. And that is ONLY if they choose not to upgrade when the opportunity comes which will probably be less than 6 months for the first year or so.

side stick-n said:
Turn&pull,

I find it odd that only a few years ago, most regional pilots were trying hard to leave their respective regional airline and the captain pay to go to a major airline and live their entire first year making 36K or less with NO opportunity for overtime and NO hope for anything other than reserve. Now, those same folks are complaining about making 45K or more (including perdiem) their first year with little or NO reserve. And that is ONLY if they choose not to upgrade when the opportunity comes which will probably be less than 6 months for the first year or so.
Hey Side stickn..

That was a point I made a few weeks ago...
First year at USAirways was $36,000... Granted ... 2nd year was in the $82-85/hr range...

The jetBlue career path for the next few years should be low $40,000 for the first 12 mos.... as emb f/o.... more than likely a very quick upgrade to emb captain for those hired as emb f/o.... should be able to make low to mid $70,000s/yr..... those that hire into the Airbus should make mid $50,000s (and higher) until the upgrade.....

upgrades will slow as the airline grows...

we'll have to see if some of the 10,000 applicants start to no show for interviews..... I doubt they will...

Last edited:
Mr Hat said:
Even USair screwed up because those E170's are NOT operated at USair, they are a seperate company.

Actually the 170's ARE operated by USAir. It is U's callsign, U's mainline 121 certificate, U's pilots. They only call it by another name so they can have the pilots on another contract and pay them dirtbag wages.

As far as the FAA is concerned, it is USAir. Those 170's fly on the same certificate as the 76's and A-330's.

Latest resources

Back