• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
suupah said:
ok.....t props....majors......

yes....no....?

When I interviewed with jetBlue I had 25hrs PIC in the rj, the other 1700 pic was turboprop, one of the guys in the crashpad all of his PIC was in the sabb. So I would answer your question as yes.

Continental loves to hire Gulfstream Airlines pilots. Gulfstream doesn't have any jets. The hate to hire Expressjet pilots. The only thing Expressjet has are jets.

Capt.LongThrust said:
Dude, just because you have jet PIC does not mean you are an experienced pilot. All it means is that your seniority number came up first. I can say first hand I have watched a TP driver fly circles around an "experienced jet pilot" on the first day in a jet sim. From the looks of your profile you will not be hiring anyone anytime soon, thankfully.

Sorry, didn't mean to get your panties all twisted...maybe I should be more clear.

10000tt 6000PIC T/P superb airmanship demonstrated in sim eval.

or

10000tt 6000PIC JET superb airmanship demonstrated in sim eval.

You can only pick one. Who do you pick? Who is less likely to crunch it in one day because they forgot that they ain't flying a straight winged airplane anymore?

I'm not knocking you...I won't have any jet PIC when I'm applying either. The company I fly for now does not even own a jet, the CEO has stated that we have no plans to ever get a jet. I have friends back at my old company that I know are better pilots than I am and they have ZERO PIC, why wouldn't they want to pick them?

Pilot Positions
Thank you for your interest in joining the Continental team. Continental anticipates the need to hire a significant number of pilots during the second half of 2005.
The following are the minimum qualifications to apply for a pilot position:
1,500 hours fixed-wing total flight time
1,000 hours fixed-wing PIC time, or 500 hours PIC time and 500 hours SIC time in a turbojet
1,000 hours fixed-wing turbine time
1,000 hours fixed-wing multi-engine time (civilian or military) or 1,000 hours single-engine military fighter jet time
A current ATP written exam
A current first class FAA medical
A current passport
A Bachelor's degree is highly desired

I guess it DOES matter.

Last edited:
igneousy2 said:
Sorry, didn't mean to get your panties all twisted...maybe I should be more clear.

10000tt 6000PIC T/P superb airmanship demonstrated in sim eval.

or

10000tt 6000PIC JET superb airmanship demonstrated in sim eval.

You can only pick one. Who do you pick?
The one that isn't a cocky tool.

igneousy2 said:
Pilot Positions
Thank you for your interest in joining the Continental team. Continental anticipates the need to hire a significant number of pilots during the second half of 2005.
1,000 hours fixed-wing PIC time, or 500 hours PIC time and 500 hours SIC time in a turbojet
1,000 hours fixed-wing multi-engine time (civilian or military) or 1,000 hours single-engine military fighter jet time
A current passport

I guess it DOES matter.

Not really.

igneousy2 said:
Pilot Positions
A current passport

I guess it DOES matter.

Hmmmmmmmm, I guess I am coming up short on my fighter jet time. I better receind my CO app. Now where is that AF recruiter.

Cardinal said:
Not really.

1. it's a 500 hour difference = about 1 year.
2. It shows that they do in fact value the jet time more.
3. In the past, only the military guys and a few corporate flyers had any jet PIC time to speak of, now there are THOUSANDS of civilian pilots with Jet PIC time wanting a job with a major.

I think over time it will be proven that it does in fact matter. Not that you won't be able to get a job with only t/p time but it will prove more difficult.

Who cares? Really. Most of my hours are turbo-prop and the majority of my learning experiences are from turbo props. Even though I fly a jet now, it's not really any diffrent, just a faster airplane that you can't do half the things in that you could in the prop.

I think is a matter of attitude rather than what your flying if your looking into the majors.

Look at Smoking Man, had 25 hours Jet PIC before going over to Blue. He had a great attitude and was a awesome stick on the Dork. Didn't seem to matter to their decision board.

I think the PIC issue is more important than what your flying.

Like every other pilot seeking to jump to a major when they are healthy and hiring, I listen when someone from an HR department is talking. As I understand, they are looking for attitute first. To get the interview, you will have to meet min quals and competitive quals. Where that level is, is determined partly by your background. They do not want only f16, or only cargo, or only civ airliner, in each class. They want a mix. So logic would dictate that you are in fact competing not against the other guys, i.e. f16 if you come from regionals, and cargo if you come from the f16, but against the other guys and gals from your subgroup. (Here is the sarcasm, this is Flightinfo after all) Right now, however, you still have to be related to the chief pilot to be considered.

Latest resources

Back