Jet Time and the majors

suupah

Total Time
Does anyone know of which majors will only hire if you have Jet time specifically and not just turbine time?

igneousy2

Total Time
100+
suupah said:
Does anyone know of which majors will only hire if you have Jet time specifically and not just turbine time?
Nobody says you have to have jet time vs. turbine time. Old school (pre 9/11) was that it didn't matter one bit as long as you were signing for the aircraft. At that time there wasn't thousands of guys with thousands of hours PIC in jets trying to get into the majors. The next time hiring starts up again, who knows what will be the case. If I were hiring at a major, I would prefer pilots with substantial PIC Jet time than substantial PIC turbo-prop time.

Later

California

Total Time
igneousy2 said:
Nobody says you have to have jet time vs. turbine time. Old school (pre 9/11) was that it didn't matter one bit as long as you were signing for the aircraft. At that time there wasn't thousands of guys with thousands of hours PIC in jets trying to get into the majors. The next time hiring starts up again, who knows what will be the case. If I were hiring at a major, I would prefer pilots with substantial PIC Jet time than substantial PIC turbo-prop time.

Later
Why would you want someone with more pic jet time vs a turboprop guy?

Oakum_Boy

supercalifragilistic
Total Time
I agree. Quality PIC time in turbine equipment is more important than jet vs. t-prop. Anyone can be taught how to fly a jet, so I would hire the competent pilot first.

Capt.LongThrust

Total Time
12teen
igneousy2 said:

Later
Dude, just because you have jet PIC does not mean you are an experienced pilot. All it means is that your seniority number came up first. I can say first hand I have watched a TP driver fly circles around an "experienced jet pilot" on the first day in a jet sim. From the looks of your profile you will not be hiring anyone anytime soon, thankfully.

General Lee

Total Time
A lot
Bart Simpson said:
The 'majors' hiring?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
How about Continental? Wake up Bart.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:

suupah

Total Time
Does anyone know, which majors require jet time specifically and which don't?

does continental hire t prop drivers?

taters

Total Time
Ya if ya blow who ya know at CO it is not impossible to be hired

HughBeamont

mmm... June...
Total Time
.46 yr
taters said:
Ya if ya blow who ya know at CO it is not impossible to be hired
It's poor taste to have a retarded person for your avatar.

Chosen One

Total Time
a bit
HughBeamont said:
Don't rush to judgement, maybe that's his picture! :D

mamba20

Do what now?
Total Time
Could be, his aircraft experience says "CRJ200 Sim" if that says anything.

whereamI

Total Time
HughBeamont said:
Following this line of thinking, I do believe it would be poor taste to refer to said person as "retarded". Definitely not the most politically correct descriptor.

Captain Overs

Total Time
California said:
Why would you want someone with more pic jet time vs a turboprop guy?
Maybe because you will be flying a jet. Where's your head?

California

Total Time
Captain Overs said:
Maybe because you will be flying a jet. Where's your head?
If I had a head I wouldn't be in this career or writing on a message board when I should be out meeting girls.

I don't think it matters if the multi turbine aircaft you fly turns a prop or a fan.

Last edited:

Captain Overs

Total Time
California said:
If I had a head I wouldn't be in this career or writing on a message board when I should be out meeting girls.

I don't think it matters if the multi turbine aircaft you fly turns a prop or a fan.
LOL! If any of us had brains we wouldn't be in aviation. I just do it to meet chicks.

HughBeamont

mmm... June...
Total Time
.46 yr
whereamI said:
Following this line of thinking, I do believe it would be poor taste to refer to said person as "retarded". Definitely not the most politically correct descriptor.
I was just kidding. The thread was still on track after several posts, and we all know that isn't how this board works.

suupah

Total Time
ok.....t props....majors......

yes....no....?

whereamI

Total Time
HughBeamont said:
I was just kidding. The thread was still on track after several posts, and we all know that isn't how this board works.
Yeah, I know. To get back on track, I say it doesn't matter. If it's over 20,000 lbs, PIC time is what counts. An airplane is an airplane, and a turbine engine is a jet engine driving a prop. But what the he!! do I know, I am just a pilot.