Jet Fuel Prices WILL Be Climbing A LOT, and Soon

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
T-Bags,

By the way if you're going to personally attack me and call me a Dumba$s Luddite, atleast spell "Luddite" correctly. OH THE IRONY!! :) :laugh: :D :p ;)

Jet

Last edited:
Forget petroleum...I wanna drive one of these:

http://www.teslamotors.com/index.php?js_enabled=1

I agree that electric cars like that Tesla Roadster or plug-in hybrids which drive 30-50 miles on electric batteries before using gasoline as the backup will be our future.

The batteries for the Plug-In hybrids keep getting better. Eventually we may be able to drive hundreds of miles on the batteries before using the gasoline as a backup.

That Tesla Roadster rocks doesn't it!? (Lotus body all electric with amazing range and acceleration)

I don't think Hydrogen should be our future. You have to use an equal amount of fossil fuels or some other energy source to produce the hydrogen.

It's not free!

Also hydrogen being the smallest element is very difficult to contain or keep as a liquid. The storage obstacle is almost unsurmountable and makes hydrogen not practical.

Plus Hydrogen is just a way for the BIG OIL COMPANIES to have a future after oil starts depleting. They were going to shift over their current gas stations to hydrogen stations, but this dream for the Oil Companies is quickly diminishing.

Electric transportation is a much more viable future.

Jet

Last edited:
I don't know why but a long post I did on the importance of oil to food production and a post by Rick James defending me are now gone.

Strange....

Well anyways I think that oil is so important to food production I'll post some highlights from what I said before:
From HERE:

WHY OIL IS SO IMPORTANT TO FOOD PRODUCTION

Petrochemicals are key components to much more than just the gas in your car. As geologist Dale Allen Pfeiffer points out in his article entitled, "Eating Fossil Fuels," approximately 10 calories of fossil fuels are required to produce every 1 calorie of food eaten in the US.

The size of this ratio stems from the fact that every step of modern food production is fossil fuel and petrochemical powered:

Pesticides are made from oil;

Commercial fertilizers are made from ammonia, which is made from natural gas, which will peak about 10 year after oil peaks;

With the exception of a few experimental prototypes, all farming implements such as tractors and trailers are constructed and powered using oil;

Food storage systems such as refrigerators are manufactured in oil-powered plants, distributed across oil-powered transportation networks and usually run on electricity, which most often comes from natural gas or coal;

In the US, the average piece of food is transported almost 1,500 miles before it gets to your plate. In Canada, the average piece of food is transported 5,000 miles from where it is produced to where it is consumed.

In short, people gobble oil like two-legged SUVs.

I recommend everyone read "EATING FOSSIL FUELS":
In the United States, 400 gallons of oil equivalents are expended annually to feed each American. Agricultural energy consumption is broken down as follows:

· 31% for the manufacture of inorganic fertilizer from natural gas

· 19% for the operation of field machinery

· 16% for transportation

· 13% for irrigation

· 08% for raising livestock (not including livestock feed)

· 05% for crop drying

· 05% for pesticide production from OIL

· 08% miscellaneous8

Energy costs for packaging, refrigeration, transportation to retail outlets, and household cooking are not considered in these figures.

Nitrogen is needed for crops to grow. Our topsoil is very deprived so natural gas is used for almost all of the nitrogen inputs today in our crops produced.

Without fossil fuels, the population of the Earth would not have gone from 1 billion in the mid-1800's to 6+Billion today.

When fossil fuels begin their decline the carrying capacity of the Earth will not be 6+ Billion any more, and there will be people struggling to get enough food.

So Bake I hope you can see, food production is very dependent on oil and other fossil fuels.

Hope you learned something!

Jet

Last edited:
I saw that tesla roadster on the discovery channel the other night ("future cars" or something like that).

With the exception of the 100-150 mile range (not positive on that, but still great for an electric car) one would hardly know it was all electric. 0-60 mph in roughly 4 seconds. Not bad looking either.

Too bad it is around $90k to purchase.

I saw that tesla roadster on the discovery channel the other night ("future cars" or something like that).

With the exception of the 100-150 mile range (not positive on that, but still great for an electric car) one would hardly know it was all electric. 0-60 mph in roughly 4 seconds. Not bad looking either.

Too bad it is around $90k to purchase.

Their site says 250 mile range, but I'm sure doing 0-60 in 4 secs a few times will reduce that to 100-150 mile range really quickly!

Jet

"Therefore, EOR is not likely to increase reservoir peak production"

Wow, silly me!! I'm now wondering how the Kern River field production, which had previously peaked at around 40,000 BPD could have possibly increased from approx 25,000 BPD to approx 140,000 BPD after steam injection was started...

"31% for the manufacture of inorganic fertilizer from natural gas"

I'm afraid now!! I didn't realize we fertilize our crops with CH4!! Oh wait... in reality, we use NH3!! The N doesn't come from Gas, the H's do. So, if you can use electricity to produce H2 for your nifty ALGORE 3000 sedan, then we can certainly use it to produce H2 for the production of NH3. If we can use electricity to power our ElectroNader mopeds, we can use electricity to power our tractors. Why do we use Natural gas? BECAUSE IT IS CURRENTLY THE CHEAPEST METHOD!!

Why did U.S. oil production peak in the 70's? BECAUSE IT WAS CHEAPER TO DRILL ELSEWHERE. PEAK OIL IS AN ECONOMIC PHENOMENON!! I could cut my family's petro consumption by 80% within WEEK if I needed to.

Why does it appear that oil production has "peaked"? Due to the extensive drilling done in OPEC countries during the 60’s and early70’s, the OPEC countries were able to hold back excess capacity after they organized which gave them the ability to influence world prices via output. Production capacity has not increased significantly in those countries since they nationalized the fields. They had no need to drill. Why waste money on a new well when you already have all the wells you need? Now we find ourselves in a differant situation. Now we are utilizing all of the world’s production capacity. Unfortunately, there is a lead time before you can start producing. When more capacity is needed, you must DRILL FOR IT. Our production today is based on PRICE EXPECTATIONS YEARS AGO! So, believe it or not, the world will have capacity come on-line in a couple years BASED ON THIS YEARS PRICES.

Frankly, not to be offensive, but I’ve forgotten more about petroleum economics than you’ve ever know. You are like a kid with flight sim trying to tell a 747 Capt. that he knows more about aviation. You are exposing yourself to the opinions of others and don’t have the intellectual tools to evaluate the relative merit of their argument

Sustainable oil. The whole Oil from dinosaurs is bullcrap. It is a product of the earth. It goes too deep to be explained by organic materials. It is all the product of big business trying to keep their profits up. Now if you want to argue what it is going to do to the environment I could understand but peak oil is an urban legend created to steal money from your pockets.

Frankly, not to be offensive, but I’ve forgotten more about petroleum economics than you’ve ever know. You are like a kid with flight sim trying to tell a 747 Capt. that he knows more about aviation. You are exposing yourself to the opinions of others and don’t have the intellectual tools to evaluate the relative merit of their argument.

Wow. I didn't realize you were a Sky God.

Now that I know, I'll never question you again!

No reason to debate anymore what is true, we just need to listen to you.

If you say it's true it has to be, Oh Sky God T-Bagger...

Jet

Why did U.S. oil production peak in the 70's? BECAUSE IT WAS CHEAPER TO DRILL ELSEWHERE. PEAK OIL IS AN ECONOMIC PHENOMENON!!

From BP: http://www.yubanet.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi/8/15426
Is that why even with record drilling and record EOR last year U.S. Onshore oil production in the 48 contiguous states is down from 10 mbd in 1970 to less than 4 mbd today?

Peak Oil is a GEOLOGICAL PHENOMENON!!

Jet

Wow. I didn't realize you were a Sky God.

Now that I know, I'll never question you again!

No reason to debate anymore what is true, we just need to listen to you.

If you say it's true it has to be, Oh Sky God T-Bagger...

Jet

Which sounds an awfull lot like what a teenage flight sim jockey would say.

But you're probably right, a few weeks reading "theoildrum" between visits to the 911 conspiracy websites will leave you smarter than actually talking to the players and having friends at ARAMCO and most of the other major oil companies....:rolleyes:

Just curious, but do you draw up plays during football season and send them to the coach of your favorite pro football team? If only he would listen, they'd won the superbowl...:rolleyes:

"Peak Oil is a GEOLOGICAL PHENOMENON!!"

So if we had drilled in ANWR in 1968, is it possible in your myopic world that U.S. oil production would have peaked in 1973 instead? Were there other places we've since drilled in that we knew likely contained oil in 1972? Why didn't we drill then? BECAUSE OF ECONOMIC REASONS.

Tell you what though, go buy your cabin, stock it with all the statements from your commodities broker on all the inedible metals you think will be valuable when, in your world, we can no longer grow crops or drive any vehicles, and I'll either laugh at you when you've been proved completely wrong, or I'll come by and shoot you and take your paper to heat my house (since gold will be worthless.....you can't eat it or burn it and the bank won't return your calls when the global economy collapses into anarchy...:rolleyes: )

Latest resources

Back