Jet Blue Productivity Advantage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA/FO said:
"Industry leading pay" is only good if the checks are coming in.

FACT - When your furloughed from DAL, AMR, NWA, USA & UAL your not making "Industry Leading pay". Unless Home Depot has stepped it up?

Not too cool to take pot shots at the furloughed guys. I sincerely hope your words come back to bite you in the ass. You should not **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** with bad karma.

I guess what pisses me off is hearing pilots, and I work with some, who keep talking about how OVERPAID pilots are. I have FO's that tell me that the $48K they make is "more than they need" and who needs $200K and $300K.

Well, if we need to cut costs at AMR and UAL etc.... What about the $55,000/year gate agent and $75,000 flight attendants that through their unions have gotten the idea that they are as important as pilots. These were never intended to be career jobs at the airlines, and they ARE unskilled labor jobs that pay better than many white collor jobs. At UAL, they pay an A&P to marshall in airplanes... I did that for $6.50/hr when I was a student, and for much less when I was in the military. It's not rocket science!

V70T5: Ouch! My wife is a UAL flight attendent and would be happy to argue your point that she is "UNSKILLED LABOR". Maybe not brain surgery but surely not unskilled. Also, a senior FA at UAL flying all international would make somewhere between 40 and 45K with max hrs. Now she wants to know where she can make the 75K! Guess I should not let her read over my shoulder.

Don't know about UAL but senior F/A's at AMR make upwards of 75K.... Senior being 30 years Plus. This is what Im told, anyway.

As for unskilled.... by the definition of the department of labor, skilled labor is labor where there is an "unusually lengthy" amount of training required or advanced schooling. Most F/A classes people with no experience and turn them into fully qualified "crew" with in a months time. Hair stylists spend 6 or more months and bearly qualify as "skilled"

pilots have degrees, then years of experience before they touch the yoke at a mainline carrier.

So with all due respect to your wife (and my wife is an ex-teacher who made $29,000 with a masters degree), even $45K is excessive for an F/A, especially when there are as many as 30,000 of them and they don't just work until they get married anymore!

Do ground service personnel, customer service, FA's, Pilots get?

A). Health Insurance and if so what percentage is paid by the company how rich or poor are the benefits, is it an HMO or PPO, what is the deductible, are the co-payments high or low, what type of drugs are covered is there a list or is it an open formulary.

B). 401K matching contributions and if so what percentage,

C). Retirement accounts or pensions and if so what percentage,

D). Stock options,

E). Other employee benefits that do not show up on the paycheck but are otherwise paid for by the company?

Help me understand, how much does it cost for the employer to pay the employee $1.00 in hourly wages?

$2.00, $3.00 or $4.00 per hour?

Darn!

A4Forever said:
V70T5: Ouch! My wife is a UAL flight attendent and would be happy to argue your point that she is "UNSKILLED LABOR". Maybe not brain surgery but surely not unskilled. Also, a senior FA at UAL flying all international would make somewhere between 40 and 45K with max hrs. Now she wants to know where she can make the 75K! Guess I should not let her read over my shoulder.

Reminds me of this story..........(not sure if true or not)

F/A says to ground school instructor......
"We have three weeks of ground school, the pilots have five. If I stay for two more weeks can I be pilot?"

Regardless if true or not, I love that story.

Many Delta F/A's make 60K plus

that is a true story...... happened at AWA...

V70T5 said:
What about the $55,000/year gate agent and $75,000 flight attendants that through their unions have gotten the idea that they are as important as pilots. These were never intended to be career jobs at the airlines, and they ARE unskilled labor jobs that pay better than many white collor jobs

Dude,
Thats chump change to an autoworker who drives a forklift at GM. Try close to $100,000. My wife knows a woman who's brother-in-law does just that, and quit high school in the tenth grade. Most UNSKILLED laborers in the auto industry make more than any gate agent or F/A, and have a layoff benifit that pays them 90% of their pay while off for a few months. Its the UAW and why you pay $30,000 for a new car. The UNSKILLED control most companies as the wild cards. What group has United by the tomatos now. If you don't pay people enough you really can't expect them to care if you threaten to shut down their company. Read the Eastern story.

overpaid unskilled autoworkers are one issue, but we're talking about why it is that the airlines aren't able to afford to pay pilots like they used to.... back in the day, Pan paid their Caps twice what UAL paid theirs (adjusted for inflation).. today, but with $75/yr FA's and CSR's, the pot is being shared with 60000 other unskilled workers, don't forget $30/hr rampers and baggage handlers.....their people were mostly short term non union employees in the 50's-70's... they worked for a few years and then moved on to go to school, get married, or other unskilled work..

Don't you people get it? There is only so much you can bleed from this turnip(the airline). The old days were not like this, and don't give me this deregulation crap, that has nothing to do with cash flow.

Latest resources

Back