JeppView FliteDeck Update ?@%$*

FlyWithSean

Total Time
Has anyone else enjoyed the new update to JeppView as much as me? I mean who at Jeppesen thought this new update was a good idea? My favorite is looking at the approaches and having the profile view not being one of the items shown.

C425Driver

Total Time
FlyWithSean said:
Has anyone else enjoyed the new update to JeppView as much as me? I mean who at Jeppesen thought this new update was a good idea? My favorite is looking at the approaches and having the profile view not being one of the items shown.

Sean,

After playing with the new and improved JeppView, I found that you can get the profile view by tapping on the plan view. This will display the full approach plate, however it will still be a in the split view with the header section displayed at the bottom of the screen. Becuase of this, the plate is too small to read. To enlarge the plate you must go to the icon on the right side of the page to remove the split screen. Only after doing that will you have a useable display. How user-friendly is that?

I can only assume that this update was designed by some computer geek who has never flown anything bigger than FS2004.

C425Driver

eljefe

Total Time
The advantage of the new approach plate display is in split mode the thing is actually big enough to read. The old full plate view usually required zooming in, at least a little, and then scrolling around the plate to the area you needed to see.

We've discovered that in split mode you can also zoom to either the top or bottom part of the screen independently.

You tap once in the part you where you want to zoom which places a blue border around that part. Having done that, the +/- zoom buttons in the upper right hand corner will zoom just that piece of the plate.

The 3 of us on my airplane didn't like the new FliteDeck format at first either, but we've grown to like it after figuring out how to make it work.

FlyWithSean

Total Time
Don't get me wrong there are some things I do like about the new update such as the ability to easily switch between arrivals, approaches, and airport diagrams. I also like that you can fill the screen with the chart.
Its just a little crazy though that you can't change preferences to allow the entire approach plate to come up on the screen when you select the approach. The fact that the profile view doesnt come up is my biggest complaint.
I also found it funny that Jeppesen said the update was going to be a minor change.

Diesel

TEB Hilton resident
Total Time
I got an email from a buddy of mine about the new jeppview update. I mean what can be wrong with an update.

Ugh talk about an big download and quite a change. Actually though I've gotten used to the split view and you can really zoom in on certain sections.

One thing i've noticed is if you don't look at the whole chart you might miss important information because the chart is cut.

Anybody using the black backgorund with the blue buttons. I'm trying that view.

flyjetspeed

Total Time
17000+
Been out twice with the update. First couple of days I was not happy. Getting used to it now. Try organizing all of the plates you want on the Clipboard by tapping the plus. Down in the lower right corner is a Full Chart View button to quickly change the view to the familiar one you like. Anyone using the Enroute Charts? There is a lot of info missing, such as the requirement to radio ahead to Tel Aviv with your tail number by a certain distance (forgot how far). I am not relying on anything but the plates.

pilot error

Total Time
>7000
flyjetspeed said:
Been out twice with the update. First couple of days I was not happy. Getting used to it now. Try organizing all of the plates you want on the Clipboard by tapping the plus. Down in the lower right corner is a Full Chart View button to quickly change the view to the familiar one you like. Anyone using the Enroute Charts? There is a lot of info missing, such as the requirement to radio ahead to Tel Aviv with your tail number by a certain distance (forgot how far). I am not relying on anything but the plates.
none of the f.i.r. boundry requirements are on the enroute section. anywhere in the world, not just tel aviv. and off the top of my head isn't it 175 miles for tel aviv or you get the hold?

eljefe

Total Time
6 months or so ago I noticed lots of details missing from the Jeppview enroute charts. I contacted Jeppesen tech support and was told that the Jeppview enroute data base was incomplete and they were working on it. No ETC.

You'd think they'd have some big disclaimer that you'd have to acknowledge that those charts cannot be used for navigation, wouldn't you?

Anyway, for the time being, it's still old fashioned paper for enroute charts.

Diesel

TEB Hilton resident
Total Time
I'm using the enroute chart portion because i have a bluetooth GPS hooked up to the system. Before i believe i was running about 10 percent of the software capabilities.

Now with the gps overlaying the enroute maps, the aproach plates and giving me a ton of info i believe i'm using close to 100 percent of the info. I haven't pulled a paper plate in quite a while.

It did take me a long time to find the keyboard to put the airport info in. They moved it up to the right side top corner.

Honestly though are they trying to make this software as complicated as they can? The enroute portion is on the left side then you move to the right side then click execute then back to the left side. Jesus.

But the BT GPS is amazing.

pilot error

Total Time
>7000
Diesel said:
I'm using the enroute chart portion because i have a bluetooth GPS hooked up to the system. Before i believe i was running about 10 percent of the software capabilities.

Now with the gps overlaying the enroute maps, the aproach plates and giving me a ton of info i believe i'm using close to 100 percent of the info. I haven't pulled a paper plate in quite a while.

It did take me a long time to find the keyboard to put the airport info in. They moved it up to the right side top corner.

Honestly though are they trying to make this software as complicated as they can? The enroute portion is on the left side then you move to the right side then click execute then back to the left side. Jesus.

But the BT GPS is amazing.
so with the bt gps you get info on freq's, firs, etc on the enroute section? we still use paper enroutes due to the lack of info on jeppview.

Diesel

TEB Hilton resident
Total Time
Yes i couldn't believe the information that I get now with the BT GPS. It was simple to install and you can really do a lot of info. Time, distance to each waypoint, freq's for the atc, wx you name it. It's really cool watching the plane on the aproach fly around.

Also it gives you altitude information so you know if you're going to hit a mountain, airspace or anything like that on the profile view.

http://www.anywheremap.com/detail.aspx?ID=141

This is the gps unit i used. Charge it and it's good for 10 hours. I just throw it up on the dash and it works fine, through a heated or non heated windshield.

G4G5

Total Time
8500+
Diesel,
Do you use it with it with the Fujitsu EFB?

What type of aircraft are you using it in?

banned username 2

Banned
Banned User
I'm not overly impressed with the latest update... Seems to be more cumbersome than the old version...

I have to say, the electronic enroute charts are nearly worthless, so much information is missing on them. I think Jepp should abandon the electronic enroute charts, and focus 100% of their effort on making the Terminal charts as good as possible, leave the enroute charts as paper...

Diesel

TEB Hilton resident
Total Time
I'm using a fujitsu 2500 from flight deck research. I liked the way they didn't rely on a specific pen to make the tablet work. You can use your finger, pen or anything.

I've used the tablets in a coule of different planes but my primary usage is in a King Air 90 with a bluetooth pcmia card working with a BT GPS and a BT WXWorx hub for weather.

Honestly though i never used the enroute charts before i hooked it up with GPS. I've also been experimenting about making you're route run over your jetway which is more point and drag.

I do think the whole program needs to be revamped. It's too confusing, unuser friendly. It was designed by engineers for pilots to ADAPT to. Not designed by pilots for engineers to make work.

G4G5

Total Time
8500+
Thanks, I have the Fijitsu on a G5 and feel that without the GPS the system is really lacking. I have tried to incorporate an external GPS but it has never worked. If someone has one that is working please let me know.

Gulfstream is he11 bent on not making any of the position information available to the current G5/G4 owners. I can see their point, their is really no increased revenue for them and if you want that type of information buy a 350/450/550.

What they (or someone else who wants to incorporate an STC) is missing, is the fact that their is a 600+ aircraft market available (475+ G4's and 150+ G5's). That would be interested in a retro fit. Right now all I do is get approach plates replicated, it's nice and it saves me doing European revisions but the system really has so much more to offer.

Last edited:

Diesel

TEB Hilton resident
Total Time
G4G5 try the unit i use. It works through heated glass and is a BT unit that runs for 10 hours. They have a return policy so i would give it a shot. It really opened up the whole program.

I read an article about fedex going paperless. It showed pictures of how their version of software works. Way better than ours. Basically it gives you airport and you enter that. Then you choose all the aprch plates you'll be needing for your flight. Then you can cycle through them. Much like a clipboard on our units but it seemed much more user friendly.

AA717driver

A simpler time...
Total Time
+/-13k
G4G5--A friend of mine was working on a system to link a handheld GPS to a tablet for "technology-defecient" TWA planes in 2000. I'll check with him to see how far he got.

The charts on our 550's work just fine... Except for the times when there's a big red "X" across the whole friggin' display! ;) TC