Jeppesen revisions policy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

densoo

What is the general guidance out there on this?

Pilot Bulletin xx-07

Last year a question surfaced to Flight Operations via pilots and check airmen as to “when is the Jeppesen Airway Manual considered current?” Specifically, does having the most current Jeppesen revision simply in a pilot’s possession constitute a current Jeppesen manual, or does it actually have to be posted by integrating the pages within the manual?

The FAA’s response, now this airline’s policy, is that the Jeppesen Airway Manual is considered current when 1) the Jeppesen “Airway Manual Services Record of Revisions” page is signed off by writing the date in the “Revision Date” column adjacent to the current “Revision Number” column, and 2) this same Jeppesen revision is actually posted in the Airways Manual. “Posted” is further defined as all of the Jeppesen revision pages are integrated in their appropriate places in the Airways Manual and out of date pages are discarded.

An Airways Manual that has any current pages that are not posted in their appropriate places, or any non-current pages that are still posted after the revision date, is considered to be in non-compliance with the FAA’s guidance. Simply having the change packet in the pilot’s possession is not sufficient. Further, signing off the Record of Revisions page while not having the pages posted, even if they are the pilot’s possession, may be considered an attempt to deceive a check airman or FAA Examiner/Safety Observer.

Recently another question was raised as to Jeppesen pages that are extracted from the Airways Manual for mulitple stations prior to pairing assignment or, as is more commonly observed, the Jeppesen pages for all hubs being kept in a separate binder due their frequent usage. While convenient for many pilots, this has also been determined to be in non-compliance with having a current Jeppesen Airways Manual since the Jeppesen pages that are not in use are not integrated in the Jeppesen Airway Manual. To maintain consistency with the FAA’s guidance, all Jeppesen pages must be kept in the Jeppesen binder until such time as they are needed for the specific city pairing being flown.

We hope these clears up any confusion on this matter.

Sincerely,

Seems a little ridiculous you can't pull out the plates you use the most. My company allows this, but we are required to put a page in its place stated what and where that plate is. Guess we're going against the FAA's stance on it.

That has to be the most over-analyzed fix to a non-issue I have ever seen.

Chief Pilot: "Why did the flight depart late?"

Joe Line Pilot: "The new revision was a little longer than normal?"

CP: "So!?!"

JLP: "Well, I had to finish the revision in order to be in compliance with the FAA guidance."

I'll certainly make sure my revisions are posted before every flight after reading this.

Should give me a lot more time to read the Wall Street Journal enroute.

We had a s--t storm over this at my company a while back. It was determined that any given revision must be posted before the subsequent revision is issued. Further, as above, "posted" was defined as being in the manual, not just in the pilot's possession. I heard from my union rep that if one was found to be in non-compliance with this policy, one would receive a two-week unpaid vacation.

As for not being allowed to have a "tailored" binder, as mentioned in the above bulletin: YGBSM. That's a little ridiculous, IMO.

Sounds like some POI needs to get laid. What a bunch of ridiculous BS.

So lets say you have 45 minute turn and check your mailbox to find the newest revision. The company wants you to delay the next outbound flight so you can do your revision, and be " in compliance"?

Latest resources

Back