JBLU works to fend off IAM

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mad691 said:
Barger expects additional unions to try to represent JetBlue employees, but the best way to fend off those groups is to take a cooperative approach with employees. "Why should crewmembers pay a third party to talk to me," he said. "Let's just sit down and talk about any concerns and solve it together."

This comment is right out of union (busting) 101.

It sounds great but it is really not workable. That is one of the primary points of representation.

First, most employees don't feel comformatable, by themselves, addressing thier concerns, pay, work rules and grievences. Would you like to sit down with Barger? He probably doesn't have time for each employee so he'll send some one to represent him. (so now he has representation but you don't) Or maybe he'll just send out a memo. It's hard to negotiate with a memo or even a mid level manager that says "Let me call my boss...... he said no". It's like buying a car and the clown, I mean salesman, always gets up and goes behind close doors to talk to his manager about your offer.

In addition, how do you just sit down and work together? All together in a hangar? at a hotel? Now a panel of Jb management is going to address the concerns a large employee group.

What am I missing?

There is nothing wrong with representation. In fact it is one of the corner stone rights of America.

I am intrested to see how JB management handles this union drive. I think they will operate above board. However, whenever any management team, (not necessarily JB) goes negative (Read Confessions of a Union Buster) it shows true colors.

If Jb can keep the IAM at bay, and the employees are happy... that is a good thing...

[quote='LUVIN LIFE]Trying to understand. So there is no vacation bid? What if everybody wants Christmas off and uses their PTO to drop a trip which conflicts. Then what? I just find it hard to believe that one can use PTO to drop any trip whenever they want.[/quote]

There has to be sufficient reserves to UTO or PTO a trip. If there are not sufficient reserves available the request is denied in Flica. There is a vacation bid, I think it was in Oct or Nov last year for '06

Rez O. Lewshun said:

It sounds great but it is really not workable. That is one of the primary points of representation.

First, most employees don't feel comformatable, by themselves, addressing thier concerns, pay, work rules and grievences. Would you like to sit down with Barger? He probably doesn't have time for each employee so he'll send some one to represent him. (so now he has representation but you don't) Or maybe he'll just send out a memo. It's hard to negotiate with a memo or even a mid level manager that says "Let me call my boss...... he said no". It's like buying a car and the clown, I mean salesman, always gets up and goes behind close doors to talk to his manager about your offer.

In addition, how do you just sit down and work together? All together in a hangar? at a hotel? Now a panel of Jb management is going to address the concerns a large employee group.

What am I missing?

There is nothing wrong with representation. In fact it is one of the corner stone rights of America.

I am intrested to see how JB management handles this union drive. I think they will operate above board. However, whenever any management team, (not necessarily JB) goes negative (Read Confessions of a Union Buster) it shows true colors.

If Jb can keep the IAM at bay, and the employees are happy... that is a good thing...

Actually, it is as easy as he says it is. In my less than two years here, I have seen Dave Barger at least once a month. He, as our entire management, are extremely approachable and open door and do an excellent job at keeping us informed about what is happening within the co. All go by theyre first names to that end. I approached him at a meal recently and told him about a problem that many of us were encountering at a certain airport. He said the co would follow up on it.

Until this approach drastically changes, most here on the pilot side would rather do without a union.

Rez O. Lewshun said:

What am I missing?

Do you work for Jetblue?

From your post, I would have to say that you have no idea how it works at our airline. I saw Dave 3 times within 4 weeks and he asked me about our first conversation during the 3rd converstation. I also sent an email about a benefits issue and had responses from everyone involved within 2 hours. DB was the first responding very empathically within 20 minutes.

zkmayo said:
Actually, it is as easy as he says it is. In my less than two years here, I have seen Dave Barger at least once a month. He, as our entire management, are extremely approachable and open door and do an excellent job at keeping us informed about what is happening within the co. All go by theyre first names to that end. I approached him at a meal recently and told him about a problem that many of us were encountering at a certain airport. He said the co would follow up on it.

Until this approach drastically changes, most here on the pilot side would rather do without a union.

I wasn't discussing current policy and resovling those issues...............

Sailpilot said:
Do you work for Jetblue?

From your post, I would have to say that you have no idea how it works at our airline. I saw Dave 3 times within 4 weeks and he asked me about our first conversation during the 3rd converstation. I also sent an email about a benefits issue and had responses from everyone involved within 2 hours. DB was the first responding very empathically within 20 minutes.

I was refering to future policy.......

For you non-JetBlue folks who have unions and are glad of it, good for you. It is obvious that we JetBlue folks - pilots, FA's, ground, etc. - don't want a union here. Good for us.

There is no need to try to push the merits of a union here. As long as the employees are happy, there is no need for a union. Of course there is no guarantee that there will never be a union at JB, but I personally hope there is never a need for one.

Call it blue koolaid or whatever, but we have a good thing going here. A union would just screw things up.

Fins Up said:
For you non-JetBlue folks who have unions and are glad of it, good for you. It is obvious that we JetBlue folks - pilots, FA's, ground, etc. - don't want a union here. Good for us.

There is no need to try to push the merits of a union here. As long as the employees are happy, there is no need for a union. Of course there is no guarantee that there will never be a union at JB, but I personally hope there is never a need for one.

Call it blue koolaid or whatever, but we have a good thing going here. A union would just screw things up.

Amen to that!

Fins Up said:

:beer: 100% agreed!!

Someone called IAM and showed interest. Then an addtional 35% signed cards stating they would like their representation. Obviously some folk at JB would like to have IAM represent them.

Yea, its the JFK and IAD people...Mostly JFK. The majority of the folk there are making 11-14 an hour and living in one of the most expensive cities in the country. When I ask those outside of NY and DC they say HELL NO!!...They dont want them. The thing is that JFK more than likely has 35% or close to it just there. Anyways, will be interesting to see what happens. Hopefully their issues will be resolved without outside interest.

Latest resources

Back