• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JBLU works to fend off IAM

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for the info, guys. Makes more sense now.

accinelli said:
Yeah Jet Blue needs $20/hr Rampers with guarantees that no matter what they will hold a job. Then we'll wonder why the airlines cannot make money and complain that the fares are too low.

The IAM should leave Jet Blue alone. The IAM has done enough damage to this industry as it is.

Precisely, the state of the industry is due to the IAM am not poor management. Thanks for the clarification.

A word about PTO. I'm a new B6 pilot, hired 2/15/06. I used the PTO I accrued since date of hire to drop trips in July, the only month where vacation with the family works. Ended up with the first 14 days off in a row, total of 23 days off and 83 hrs credit. The system isn't perfect, but it could be a lot worse. I think the ground folks have a similar program although not sure about that.

Later,
The Pig

It's not about what is reasonable and fair anymore, it's about what people will accept. Corporate America will continue to take away/reduce benefits to the working public as long as they can get away with it. Unions don't always do what they are supposed to, but the purpose is to protect benefits, wages, and safety in a reasonable manner. General fair treatment.
Americans sit back and accept the new status quo in most situations. Look at fuel prices these days. Astronomical profits for the oil companies and we sit around wishing for $2.50 gas as if that's okay. We've been conditioned to accept things like this. Until we get to a point where things like this are not okay (which will not happen soon because Americans are lazy when it comes to things like this), Corporate America will continue to take. If they could get away without giving sick leave or vacation..........they would!

seefive said:
Unions don't always do what they are supposed to, but the purpose is to protect benefits, wages, and safety in a reasonable manner. General fair treatment.
True in theory. Questionable in application. Man can screw up anything involving more than 1 person. I get pi$$ed off just looking at my avitar.

The IAM did nothing for their TWA employees. Just ask the FA's.

I guess they did keep the feather-bedding contracts through all the financial trouble... :rolleyes:

If JB employees MUST have a union, go in house. TC

PCL_128 said:
Any Blue dudes care to comment on this? You guys always claim that management is so employee-friendly, but this doesn't seem very upstanding of management. No vacation or sick leave? Come on.

They have plenty of time to play basketball while I wait for the power to be hooked up. Or when they saunter out to play wing-walker while I wait and wait and clog up the ramp for another jet departing. I sometimes think that jfk is the only station that doesn't know that we are trying to make money in this business.

I think we have a hard time finding quality people in jfk for what are probably low wages compared to the rest of the industry (we're jb after all). Because of that we have some grade A, non-caring yahoos working jfk and a union will do nothing but legitimize the idea that we can't fire them for the crap that they already pull.

Bavarian Chef said:
They have plenty of time to play basketball while I wait for the power to be hooked up. Or when they saunter out to play wing-walker while I wait and wait and clog up the ramp for another jet departing. I sometimes think that jfk is the only station that doesn't know that we are trying to make money in this business.

I think we have a hard time finding quality people in jfk for what are probably low wages compared to the rest of the industry (we're jb after all). Because of that we have some grade A, non-caring yahoos working jfk and a union will do nothing but legitimize the idea that we can't fire them for the crap that they already pull.

So how do you handle it then? Do we continually pay ******************** wages only to fire and go through the entire process again? Cheap wages get what they fish for. I have met a number of the guys that work the ramp (I actually go down and play basketball with them) and most are not bad poeple in the least. That said, they are often from uneducted broken families where no work ethic rules have been established. I would guess that most of us on this board have had the benefit of a mother or father or both that kicked our collective asses if we steped out of line or performed poorly.

Those same guys are like any of us and crave leadership and respect. Perhaps if you or others would get out of your cockpit and talk one on one to them with your concerns for a union while recognizing that they have legitimate concerns we can avoid this fiasco.

Juice

They may be underpaid but they aren't overworked. As Chef mentioned these guys can't even do their own jobs in an efficient manner. And now they want a union to protect their lackluster performance? These guys can't even read a bag count back properly or tell you the walk around is complete without dragging it out of them.

And now for a good ramper story. The other day three planes arrived at MCO about the same time so needless to say they all pushed about the same time as well. Our guys were short a tug to push us back so the Tranny guys loaned us their tug and off we went.

Kudos to those fellas.

Latest resources

Back