JBLU works to fend off IAM

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bill Nelson said:
Someone called IAM and showed interest. Then an addtional 35% signed cards stating they would like their representation. Obviously some folk at JB would like to have IAM represent them.

The IAM didnt get 35% of the signed cards required returned to them so they didnt qualify for a vote. The NMB announced this two days ago. The union effort at JB via IAM has ended (for now). The real irony is that the IAM said when JB started they were against the company's start up and now they wanted to represent our ramp workers. The company has done nothing but supportive of our crewmembers all along.

The company has stated that if they have a union voted in they look at it as the company has failed its employees. Because management at JB believes that and backs it up with its actions, that is why so many of us dont see a need for/want a union.

Last edited:
Bill Nelson said:
Someone called IAM and showed interest. Then an addtional 35% signed cards stating they would like their representation. Obviously some folk at JB would like to have IAM represent them.

Actually, as zkmayo said, the IAM did NOT get 35% approval.

"The NMB dismissed the IAM’s petition because the IAM failed to show that at least 35% of the eligible Crewmembers supported holding an election, which is the minimum showing required by the NMB."

Last edited:
zkmayo said:
The company has stated that if they have a union voted in they look at it as the company has failed its employees. Because management at JB believes that and backs it up with its actions, that is why so many of us dont see a need for/want a union.

Looking at the proven model of success... SWA. They view unions as partners. [from the book] -THE SWA WAY. So why wouldn't jB? The above statement really doesn't help. What IF a union comes on the property? I'd be very impressed with a company statement of: Unions at jB is not a big concern. If we have one, great, another partner to work together with, if we don't that is great too, we will be successful either way.

If a union came on at jB and management didn't create a working/partner relationship..then that would fail the emplyees.

What's the big deal? There are no career carriers that aren't organized. jB is doing a lot of paradigm shifiting, both good and bad....

Fins Up said:
Actually, as zkmayo said, the IAM did NOT get 35% approval.

"The NMB dismissed the IAM’s petition because the IAM failed to show that at least 35% of the eligible Crewmembers supported holding an election, which is the minimum showing required by the NMB."

I was browsing the www.nmb.gov website and couldn't find any info. Can you source this?

Best of Luck at B6

Rez O. Lewshun said:
I was browsing the www.nmb.gov website and couldn't find any info. Can you source this?

Best of Luck at B6

Internal company email, but then who in their right mind would believe management?

:D

Bavarian Chef is right. It was in a co. email. If they did not get the 35% then its not JB mgnt that does not want the IAM, its the majority of the employees. I am sure our mgnt would work with a union if it was here...but its not. If we can keep our employees happy and all work together then there is no need to bring outside groups into the mix.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
This comment is right out of union (busting) 101.

It sounds great but it is really not workable. That is one of the primary points of representation.

First, most employees don't feel comformatable, by themselves, addressing thier concerns, pay, work rules and grievences. Would you like to sit down with Barger? He probably doesn't have time for each employee so he'll send some one to represent him. (so now he has representation but you don't) Or maybe he'll just send out a memo. It's hard to negotiate with a memo or even a mid level manager that says "Let me call my boss...... he said no". It's like buying a car and the clown, I mean salesman, always gets up and goes behind close doors to talk to his manager about your offer.

In addition, how do you just sit down and work together? All together in a hangar? at a hotel? Now a panel of Jb management is going to address the concerns a large employee group.

What am I missing?

There is nothing wrong with representation. In fact it is one of the corner stone rights of America.

I am intrested to see how JB management handles this union drive. I think they will operate above board. However, whenever any management team, (not necessarily JB) goes negative (Read Confessions of a Union Buster) it shows true colors.

If Jb can keep the IAM at bay, and the employees are happy... that is a good thing...

Hey Rez what about how unions tend to exaggerate things a bit. Classic example union saying employees get no sick time or vacation time when in reality they get PTO. That is a big reason unions don't endear themseleves to a lot of people. They tend to exaggerate a lot and try to make it look like we are all in poverty. Management also tends to inflate the numbers but shouldn't unions be taking the high road and not using lies to try to get people to support their cause? They need to use facts and nothing else. If employees don't want a union then its their right. Obviously they didn't get enough cards to have a vote. Just remember unions aren't angels themselves.

Newman55 said:
Hey Rez what about how unions tend to exaggerate things a bit. .

Agreed! It is not really unions though, but people. Don't people exagerate things? So it could be unions, the church, the company, the gov't, NGO's, charities, etc.. Any organization that has people.

Newman55 said:
Classic example union saying employees get no sick time or vacation time when in reality they get PTO. That is a big reason unions don't endear themseleves to a lot of people. They tend to exaggerate a lot and try to make it look like we are all in poverty. .

Same response. People. Alot of people don't like alot of organizations because of the way the people of the organization act, exeragerate, behave etc...

Newman55 said:
Management also tends to inflate the numbers but shouldn't unions be taking the high road and not using lies to try to get people to support their cause? They need to use facts and nothing else. If employees don't want a union then its their right. Obviously they didn't get enough cards to have a vote. Just remember unions aren't angels themselves.

Again. People. Read confession of a union buster. Management lies, destroys reputations and turns friends against each other. But so do unions. So does gov't, church, etc... If you are to call on unions to take the high road then so should management, especially since they run the show.

There is the story of Herb K. negotiating with the pilots union. They hammered out a deal over beers and a union pilot with "traditional" airline union experienced wanted Herbs word in writing and another union pilot snapped back and said "If Herb said it, his word is good"

Just remember people aren't angels themselves.

Union says unbowed by setback at JetBlue Airways
Thu Jul 20, 2006 03:28 PM ET

NEW YORK, July 20 (Reuters) - Union organizers plan to continue to target workers at discount airline JetBlue Airways Corp. (JBLU.O: Quote, Profile, Research) , despite getting rebuffed in an effort to unionize the airline.
"The organizing effort will continue," Joe Tiberi, a spokesman for the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, told Reuters.
The union's petition to organize some 1,300 ground crew and crew members failed when the National Mediation Board on Tuesday said there was insufficient interest from employees.
The ruling prohibits the union, which is separately targeting JetBlue's flight attendants and customer service personnel, from filing a new petition to represent these workers for 12 months.
Tiberi said that the union failed because it estimated the size of the group of workers at about 800 and therefore did not collect enough signatures to surpass the 35-percent hurdle.
But now that the union has a full list of workers, it can better target its efforts, Tiberi said.
JetBlue, which is union free and seeking to return to profitability, doesn't welcome the attention of labor organizers.
"We are one team, and we have to rely on each other," JetBlue Chief Executive David Neeleman and President Dave Barger said in a joint e-mail sent to to JetBlue's 10,800 employees on Tuesday evening that Reuters obtained from the company. The dismissal of the union petition is "very positive news for our company," they said.

At least the IAM is "organized" (organized, get it?) ...

Great :puke:

The majority of the employees DO NOT want a union yet they continue to try to corupt JB no matter what the cost. I only say corupt due to the wonders that the IAM has done for NWA. Lets home JB mgnt does the right things to keep them off property.

Longhorn said:
The majority of the employees DO NOT want a union .

If your opinion is in line with truth, then nothing to worry.

Longhorn said:
yet they continue to try to corupt JB no matter what the cost..

Corrupt? Unions don't run companies. Management does. Alot of negativity of unions comes from bad realtions with management. Remember, in any relationship it itakes two. I wouldn't be too concerned about a union coming onto the property as much has what type of relationship will be forged.

Longhorn said:
I only say corupt due to the wonders that the IAM has done for NWA. .

Elaborate. And please include what NWA managment has done to corrupt. It takes two.

In addition please discuss how the IAM has corrupted SWA.

Longhorn said:
Lets home JB mgnt does the right things to keep them off property.

The only action jB can do is influence and convince its employee not to go union. How it does that will be interesting. They must do so with positive methods. If you are to say that the IAM is corrupt, then one could respond that jB is so anti union that they will use lies and deciet to keep the IAM at bay. (I don't think they will, just making a point)

The employees will decide if there will be a union. That is the good thing about unions: employees have a choice. A Vote. And a say in what is going on. Like the IAM at SWA, they are partners....

SWA- profitable for over 30 years. A LCC like JB. with union-partners such as the IAM. Can't argue with success.

Latest resources

Back