Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Otto77

Snacko
Just curious what quality of life is right now? Have a bunch of friends at the company that either love it or can't stop complaining. Seems to be that those stuck on RSV obviously have it the worst so I see there point. With this new hiring are things going to get any better or can new hires pretty much expect to be in for a life of RSV hell with little hopes of holding a line within a year or 2? Is there any ability to pick up flying over the guarantee? Any chance of new hires going to MCO or will it all be JFK/BOS? Sorry for the million questions..just trying to gauge if this would be a good move now from my current company.

there are about 10 threads on this already, do a search.

Sorry, but answered all those questions twice.

Just curious what quality of life is right now? Have a bunch of friends at the company that either love it or can't stop complaining. Seems to be that those stuck on RSV obviously have it the worst so I see there point. With this new hiring are things going to get any better or can new hires pretty much expect to be in for a life of RSV hell with little hopes of holding a line within a year or 2? Is there any ability to pick up flying over the guarantee? Any chance of new hires going to MCO or will it all be JFK/BOS? Sorry for the million questions..just trying to gauge if this would be a good move now from my current company.

1. Not a bad place to work at all but QOL has definetely taken a hit in the last yr.

2. If you get the 190 and you get in early in the hiring cycle you wont be on RSV that long (less then a yr would be my guess). If you some how end up on the 320 (if you get a choice take the 190) you could easly be looking at 3-4 yrs on rsv.

3. It looks to me like all new hires will be going to jfk/bos but were going to grow MCO a lot in the next couple of yrs so i would think that you could get there within a yr or two.

1. Not a bad place to work at all but QOL has definetely taken a hit in the last yr.

2. If you get the 190 and you get in early in the hiring cycle you wont be on RSV that long (less then a yr would be my guess). If you some how end up on the 320 (if you get a choice take the 190) you could easly be looking at 3-4 yrs on rsv.

3. It looks to me like all new hires will be going to jfk/bos but were going to grow MCO a lot in the next couple of yrs so i would think that you could get there within a yr or two.

I cannot imagine a situation where a new hire would have less than 2 years on reserve. I'm guessing much, much longer.

What are the reserve call out times like? I hear that they are 4 and 12 hours. Is that true and how does it work?

Thanks in advance,

What are the reserve call out times like? I hear that they are 4 and 12 hours. Is that true and how does it work?

Thanks in advance,

Short call is 2hrs
Long Call is 14hrs

but LCR is like the Medussa in Greek myth. It exist but no one has seen it, its just old sailor stories.

Depends on where you're based. Long Call is generally available to all pilots on week days from SEP to NOV and JAN to APR except JFK 320 FO's.

FLL and LGB reserves hardly fly at all. If you're JFK 320 FO, be ready to short call all year except OCT, maybe a little long call in SEP.

How difficult would it be to live exactly 2 hours from base and be on short call reserve from there? Is there a way to project that you'll be called for an assignment so that you can get a jump start on driving in? Would it be easy, difficult, or impossible to do it?

How difficult would it be to live exactly 2 hours from base and be on short call reserve from there? Is there a way to project that you'll be called for an assignment so that you can get a jump start on driving in? Would it be easy, difficult, or impossible to do it?

totally possible. you can get an idea of where you stand. 2 hour callouts are pretty rare.

CD

I really want to work for the company you guys are discussing. Unfortunately, I work for JetBlue.

1) I have had one (1) day of LCR in 2010, in January.
2) In the last 2 months, every call-out but one has been for a trip that started LESS than 2 hours from notification. On a few occasions I was notified of trips that were previously in open time, so I knew I was going to get them. Most of the time it's "we need you at the airport now...how fast can you get there?"

Latest resources

Back