• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JB pilots file with NMB

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm all for it. Then furlough 300 as soon as we can so I can get a better bid divisor... The first DB letter was comical maybe, but he also wrote a second one the very same day that included this language:

A union’s promises of job security, protection and growth are very seductive. I recognize the desire to secure your future, and to support someone when they make these promises. But no one can guarantee anything. I can only guarantee that we will continue to make the sometimes tough and always necessary decisions to protect JetBlue and position our company for success. DB

I would say once a union is on the property, our JBPA will negotiate great benefit and pay raises but in return (a negotiation) will give up our "no furlough clause". Goodbye 300 pilots (this is how much we're overstaffed) and oh by the way, how many captains will be displaced? Think of those numbers boys and girls when you vote. This vote will do nothing but split up the pilot core, many of whom do not support this move at this time in our economy...

There are three main reasons for us to organize. First and foremost is legally the company cannot provide certain specific needs that are unique to pilots unless they provide them to every other employee. An industry standard pilot retirement plan; pilot specific LOL/LTD/STD rather than generic workmans comp; scope; merger/acquisition language; ERISA concerns about our 401K, etc, etc. These are just some of the issues that are pilot specific. Without a CBA the company is legally bound to lump us in with everybody else.

Second, I'm tired of having no say in workrules and scheduling issues. As of now the company can change anything at any time and we can't do anything about it. A CBA will codify the rules and hold the company and us to that standard and in the event there is a disagreement there will also be a resolution and/or grievance process. Right now they interpret and we either comply or not at our own peril.

Third, as an organized entity we have the ability to negotiate for our services. Right now we have no choice. Take it or leave it. The PCRB provided a comprehensive and detailed analysis of how we stack up against the rest of the industry. Despite repeated promises of making us whole we are still behind the curve. Barger's response was to spin it and try to convince us we are on par with our peers. If he really believes that he's an idiot and if he's just trying to blow smoke up our asses it's insulting. Either way, as an organized pilot group we get to leverage a say in the matter. To what effect? Who knows, but that would still be better than being neutered.

In general, I like our management team and I like working here, but we are one CEO change away from a Lorenzo and we would have no say in the new world order from the new guy. A CBA will give us some protection.

If, and that's a big if, your scenario plays out like you suggest I still think that short term pain for long term gain is necessary. No, I'm not in the bottom 300, but I'm still in the wrong seat and still a long way from getting to the good seat. This airline isn't bad if you get to look out the left window. It's pretty substandard if all you see is the right winglet.

Good post Caveman.

The goodwill that DB offers us will never end though, I mean Neeleman never ... um ... what I meant to say was ... never mind.

;)

Way to go Jetblue.

I left B6 for an ALPA carrier because Jetblue had failed to show any intention to be competitive with pay and benefits. It was a lot of fluff and spin and studies and talk. In short, it was a sales job.

I also thought the pilot group was hopelessly drunk on blue juice. I guess I was wrong.

ALPA/IBT/APA/IPA/SWAPA/JBPA - I don't care what your flavor is as long as we're all pulling the cart in the same direction because our managements have decided that they would like to "redefine" what this career is. They expect us to lower our expectations while their's remain sky-high.

I wish you all the best of luck and I'm looking forward to counting you all as brothers.

It's purely a business decision for me.

Nothing more, nothing less.

This is a JOB, not my life. I don't care what other employee groups think. I'm also not buying into nor do I care about the company propaganda.

You can't be emotional. I have yet to fly with a guy/gal who is anti-union and has defended their stance with rational, cogent arguments. Especially given all of the evidence of late (PCRB, etc., etc.). Without exception they harbor deep emotional scarring from former lives. Many of their 'expectations' were very unrealistic (no furlough - come on). Ironically, they usually end up admitting that they made the most money and had the best work rules and bene's when under a union contract.

Once the emotional layer of the 'onion' is peeled back they really have no argument.

The 'innovation', 'great relationship with management', and the various other sound bites that management is predictably transmitting have been historically ONE SIDED in the nearly 7 years I've been here.

It's time for a 'change'.

I think Caveman makes excellent points.

FedEx pilots formed FPA for the reasons Caveman points out...their work rules were in a loose leaf binder that the company could change whenever they wanted to.

At least JBPA can codify some of these and keep the company from changing things up on a whim.

Best of luck in the drive.

Which one is in? The one on the left or the one on the right?

Or does your avatar hide the gruesome truth -- that you two are connected to each other somewhere down in the vicinity of your Mambo region?

I only ask, because we need all the help we can get.

Which one is in? The one on the left or the one on the right?

Or does your avatar hide the gruesome truth -- that you two are connected to each other somewhere down in the vicinity of your Mambo region?

I only ask, because we need all the help we can get.

Just me (on the right). My brother doesn't work here, he's running for public office and is a part time model.
(I've thought about changing my avatar but I grown kind of used to the boys. )

In general, I like our management team and I like working here, but we are one CEO change away from a Lorenzo and we would have no say in the new world order from the new guy. A CBA will give us some protection.

BINGO....this is exactly what keeps me awake at night.

It's the NEXT guy...or the guy after him....or the guy after him that I worry about. We are completely unprotected by what's coming down the road.

And you don't have to look too far down the road to see what's coming next. Just ask ATC what it's like working for JetBlue's current President...

Latest resources

Back