• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JB Candidates in phase II

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This CFO is calling the shots. Barger out busy getting new international feed. It is concerning he says 'Jetblue wants to fund all growth through cash flow' . Capital intensive industries do not fund all growth through free cash flow. This is not a low barrier to entry arena. Would any CFO fund an automobile or steel factory with free cash flow? The place would never get off the ground. His comments have been cryptic.

CFOs take over when the BOD says fatten this cattle up for the ranchers auction.
A very influential CFO took over CAL. 6 months later shazam...............

The current CAL CEO was the former General Counsel and then I believe the President before assuming the CEO role.

Absolutely, I figure 20 planes for me to move up at all. Just responding to someone with my same seniority saying no upgrade.......could have, but obviously didn't. There are 190 Capt. with just over 4 years.

CD

I'm at 4 1/2 years and I don't recall passing up an upgrade. The junior 190 CA has slightly under 5 years and when they upgraded it was a very different story at JetBlue. I distinctly remember talking to a guy in 320 upgrade training while I was at the schoolhouse as a new hire. He had been with the company for 23 months. Nowadays a 320 FO at the 2 year mark is still on reserve. It's a possibility (a remote possibility) that some one with my seniority could get 190 CA in the next couple of bids but if they did they would be on reserve for life.

Right now a very junior 320 CA has 6.5-7 years with the company. A very senior 320 CA only has 9+ years. That's only a 3 year spread from top to bottom for a 100+ fleet of 320's. With few exceptions basically everybody than can hold 320 CA is already holding 320 CA and the few that aren't were just about to upgrade when the music stopped.

My SWAG predicts it will be at least 5 more more years before I can hold a line as a 190 CA and maybe 10 more before I can hold a line as a 320 CA. Guys that are at the bottom now may have to wait 10+ years to even sniff an upgrade and 15+ to hold a line. 20 more a/c won't change that much. In order for every guy currently on property to upgrade we'll need to double the fleet. That's another 150+ airplanes. 15+ year over year for at least a decade. I don't see that happening at all.

BTW, I'm not complaining. It is what it is and it's also the normal upgrade time for most major airlines. My only point is that the days of fast upgrades at JetBlue are long gone. That's why it's so important to get the rest of our benefits in line with other established majors. It is no longer acceptable to use the carrot of a fast upgrade to ignore the other shortcomings of our overall compensation. Yeah the money is reasonable (I still want more) but the other stuff (LTD, medical, etc, etc) needs a lot of work.

FYI I'm a 646'er, 3A'er, and ALPA OC'er.

I'm at 4 1/2 years and I don't recall passing up an upgrade. The junior 190 CA has slightly under 5 years and when they upgraded it was a very different story at JetBlue. I distinctly remember talking to a guy in 320 upgrade training while I was at the schoolhouse as a new hire. He had been with the company for 23 months. Nowadays a 320 FO at the 2 year mark is still on reserve. It's a possibility (a remote possibility) that some one with my seniority could get 190 CA in the next couple of bids but if they did they would be on reserve for life.

Right now a very junior 320 CA has 6.5-7 years with the company. A very senior 320 CA only has 9+ years. That's only a 3 year spread from top to bottom for a 100+ fleet of 320's. With few exceptions basically everybody than can hold 320 CA is already holding 320 CA and the few that aren't were just about to upgrade when the music stopped.

My SWAG predicts it will be at least 5 more more years before I can hold a line as a 190 CA and maybe 10 more before I can hold a line as a 320 CA. Guys that are at the bottom now may have to wait 10+ years to even sniff an upgrade and 15+ to hold a line. 20 more a/c won't change that much. In order for every guy currently on property to upgrade we'll need to double the fleet. That's another 150+ airplanes. 15+ year over year for at least a decade. I don't see that happening at all.

BTW, I'm not complaining. It is what it is and it's also the normal upgrade time for most major airlines. My only point is that the days of fast upgrades at JetBlue are long gone. That's why it's so important to get the rest of our benefits in line with other established majors. It is no longer acceptable to use the carrot of a fast upgrade to ignore the other shortcomings of our overall compensation. Yeah the money is reasonable (I still want more) but the other stuff (LTD, medical, etc, etc) needs a lot of work.

FYI I'm a 646'er, 3A'er, and ALPA OC'er.

Good post, just clarifying.....nowhere did i mention a current fast upgrade.

CD

I think we may be surprised as to how junior some of the CAs in this suppl. bid or the one in sept. may go.

Unless you have 5yrs-ish, you won't hold a line on the 320 as capt...and the 190 will be close behind as some junior bus capts and senior bus FOs bid to it.

We'll see.

Does JB give new hires at least 2 weeks notice prior to starting a class or is it possible to get a call to see if you can be in class within a few days? Thanks for the info!!!

Both have happened but a short call is usually a function of others canceling late. Plan for both but never burn a bridge in this industry.

Trying not to burn bridges in this industry is like walking through puddles of gas with a hand full of lit road flares!

Some places won't take you back if you havn't left yet!@

Oh, I got exactly two weeks notice, not that it mattered. I turned in my two weeks notice and was taken off all flight duties. XJT

Last edited:
Trying not to burn bridges in this industry is like walking through puddles of gas with a hand full of lit road flares!

Some places won't take you back if you havn't left yet!@

Oh, I got exactly two weeks notice, not that it mattered. I turned in my two weeks notice and was taken off all flight duties. XJT

Yeah, my airline is like that. They say they don't wanna be your "safety net." Then again, I guess you can leave, get furloughed by United and come back to be a chief pilot. :)

Congrats on the class date. Here's hoping more interviews are around the corner for those of us that still are hoping to get on with Blue.

Has anyone heard anything from JB as far as class dates coming up? I know my background check is in full swing.. any good rumors, preferably facts...

Thanks

Latest resources

Back