Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

IB6 UB9

I don't Remember
Newsday: What would you do to un-crowd the skies over New York?
General Lee (Bob Crandall): We don't have an adequate air-traffic control system, and we don't have enough runways at Kennedy and LaGuardia. If I were in charge, I'd say we're not going to let the low-cost airlines fly into the major airports. I wouldn't let JetBlue into Kennedy or LaGuardia.

Newsday: That sounds drastic?
General Lee (Bob Crandall): It's not. If you want to be a low-cost carrier, by all means go and be a low-cost carrier. But you can't fly into the major airports. The Europeans have been doing this for years. The low-cost carriers could go to outlying areas.

Bob Crandall

That name reminds me of the kid whos head I stuck in the toilet for a swirly during my senior year. Or maybe it was a Royal Swirly, I can't remember.

I have not seen the General rear his ugly head around here for a while. Quoting his name in that article must have served him a piece of humble pie.

Last edited:
General Lee (Bob Crandall): We don't have an adequate air-traffic control system, and we don't have enough runways at Kennedy and LaGuardia. If I were in charge, I'd say we're not going to let the low-cost airlines fly into the major airports. I wouldn't let JetBlue into Kennedy or LaGuardia.

General Lee (Bob Crandall): It's not. If you want to be a low-cost carrier, by all means go and be a low-cost carrier. But you can't fly into the major airports. The Europeans have been doing this for years. The low-cost carriers could go to outlying areas.

Why shouldn't they let LCCs in? They pay the same amount for gates, and landing slots. They should stop letting the Legacies fly those annoying RJs into Laguardia and only let them fly into major airports if they are flying for their codeshare into one of their hubs. They should also restrict the amount of flights per seats so that a legacy cannot allow an RJ to fly to a big airport a hundred times a day. Also, the FAA should give preference to ALL airlines over bizjets if it is an airport with a certain amount of 121 flights per day. If a bizjet is delayed it only affects a few people where a 121 carrier gets massive downline problems.
121 flights should be allowed to be kept to their arrival and departure times first. The bizjets do not come close to paying the amount of support fees that airlines do so airlines should get preference.
They should also tell Delta to stop taxiing like old women.

I'll agree to cut out those of us at the LCCs as soon as the RJs are cut from the legacy carriers. Until then, Crandall can blow me. The thousands upon thousands of godforsaken replacement jets are what cause the problems in places like LGA.

Finally, a member (former member) of airline management making a world of sense. I couldn't agree more with Crandall. But of course our government would never allow that. They do quite the opposite. They request AA and UAL to voluntarily cut back on their flights at ORD or they will be forced to, and then when AA and UAL do, they let jetwho in and accomplish nothing in terms of reducing congestion but only lower fares even more than they already were. What a wonderful system.

I'll agree to cut out those of us at the LCCs as soon as the RJs are cut from the legacy carriers. Until then, Crandall can blow me. The thousands upon thousands of godforsaken replacement jets are what cause the problems in places like LGA.

Simple question...are you ignorant? Or just plain simple? How is a hub and spoke network carrier going to operate without their feed from the small outstations that a 100 plus seat jet could not possibly serve? I can say though, that RJ frequency needs to be drastically reduced and replaced with larger jets in many markets. BOS-LGA...LGA-DCA. There is no reason AA, US, DL all need 8 + flights a day back and forth between these cities.

The industry blew it when they replaced turbo-props with RJs on short haul routes. Horizon has the right idea going back to an all Dash fleet. Utilizing shorter, less congested runways and then staying below the Jet arrival/departure corridors is where it's at.

That actually sounds plausible. I could see Bob Crandall sitting at his computer 5-10 hours per day bashing SWA and responding to Delta-specific posts as he smokes 3-4 packs of cigarrettes. Great catch!

Latest resources

Back