• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I've discovered who the General is!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Simple question...are you ignorant? Or just plain simple? How is a hub and spoke network carrier going to operate without their feed from the small outstations that a 100 plus seat jet could not possibly serve? I can say though, that RJ frequency needs to be drastically reduced and replaced with larger jets in many markets. BOS-LGA...LGA-DCA. There is no reason AA, US, DL all need 8 + flights a day back and forth between these cities.

RJs should be used on routes like DTW-FWA, not DTW-LGA. RJs are clogging up airports that they have no business being in. Any route that is served from LGA can sustain a bigger aircraft. The legacies simply choose to use RJs instead so they can have 12 frequencies a day instead of 8. It's clogging the system, and there should be some regulation to stop it. I'm tired of sitting number 20 in line behind 15 RJs, two turboprops, and just three other mainline airplanes.

I'll agree to cut out those of us at the LCCs as soon as the RJs are cut from the legacy carriers. Until then, Crandall can blow me. The thousands upon thousands of godforsaken replacement jets are what cause the problems in places like LGA.

Those jets are what got you to Citrus. But I guess it's cool to talk down about us regional guys now that you've "moved up.":cool:

I don't know...those baby DC9's they fly over at Air Tran aren't that much more economical than an RJ. If we got rid of all those RJ's and 717's, then maybe ATL could be a nice airport...

Those jets are what got you to Citrus. But I guess it's cool to talk down about us regional guys now that you've "moved up.":cool:

I didn't "talk down" to any regional pilots. I want all of you on the mainline seniority lists. The regional pilots aren't the problem, the system of outsourcing is.

You logged a lot of time in those godforsaken replacement jets, didn't you?

Yep, and advocated for stronger scope at the mainline carriers the whole time. I think you remember that.

I didn't "talk down" to any regional pilots. I want all of you on the mainline seniority lists. The regional pilots aren't the problem, the system of outsourcing is.

Well, I agree with you there. It would be nice to have all the flying for one airline done by one list.

I just don't see how that's ever going to happen with pilots throwing each other under the bus in SLI's.

Well, I agree with you there. It would be nice to have all the flying for one airline done by one list.

I just don't see how that's ever going to happen with pilots throwing each other under the bus in SLI's.

Well they do in Canada, so why can't they do it here?? I'll tell you part of the reason. Because all the military cronies at mainline will not tolerate their military buddies separating, having to fly an rj for a while....oh the humanity!!!

Ah, I never flew a shiny jet before I came to CAL. Lots of Airtran guys have no jet time.

I don't know...those baby DC9's they fly over at Air Tran aren't that much more economical than an RJ. If we got rid of all those RJ's and 717's, then maybe ATL could be a nice airport...

Put down the crap pipe and step away from the keyboard. Saturation of the airspace is caused by the frequency of the scheduled flights. The legacies, in their effort to hold on to market share, increase the frequency of the flights but do it with RJ's. They do this at a loss in the hopes that they will outlast others and then once they have regained their controlling interest they will increase the cost and cut the RJ flying. Who is the first ones to be cancelled when there are delays? It is not a majority of the legacy flights but the "partners" flying the RJ's that are cancelled. Look at the DOT on time reports. Big plane or little plane, the same separation is required. I am not saying that flying the RJ is less challenging (probably more so with the ab-initio programs.) I am not saying that the aircraft are not technologically advanced. I am saying that they are doing what they were never designed to do in the first place. SCOPE has affected everyone's carreer up and down the chain.
The RJ traffic jumped through the roof after DAL closed DFW base in ATL. The 717's do not park four to a gate. The 717's have business class seating. The 717's have overhead bins that can accomodate standard bags. The 717's have a much better economy of scale. So what if you can cram in 50-70-90 people into a stretched business jet and fly it 3 hours. You then have to wait for 25 minutes for all of the carry-ons to be brought to the jet bridge to reclaim.
Heavy landing fees (with rebates provided to aircraft with more seats) is the best way to force the COMPANIES to stop flooding the airports with RJ traffic with excessive stage length. Makes sure they are maximizing thier investment and time when scheduling into the HDTA's.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back