• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Its on!!! (swa @ den)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow...they added 4 flights. Yes...it is definitely on!

While I expect them to add a few more destinations/flights I don't think this is going to be the all out bloodbath inflicted by WN some were predicting a month ago.

Depending on how Republic handles everything they are currently juggling they could easily sink their own ship.

Wow...its ON! You are a dork.....its ON! Oh yeah......Frontier just announced nonstop flights to Fort Myers.....get your gloves on....its ON!!!! Jeeeez....How pathetic.
As good ole Hank Williams Jr. says "Id like to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye!"

What SWA and their pilot group offered was that best that could be expected with the way the airline pilot union system is setup.

Until such time there is a national union and a single list, stronger groups will always have the upper hand.

HOWEVER, at the end of the day, to some extent, Frontier was given a choice. And they feel it was the best deal.

Personally, I'd have taken my chances as a SWA plug, vs. getting thrown into the RAH mess.

In the airline business, SWA is a known-quantity! And while that can and likely will change, it's as stable as a people carrier is right now. You can't say that about the RAH abortions that are taking place right now.

Good luck!

This perspective is exactly why the piloting profession is (and has been) on a downhill slide. "kick 'em while they are down... We got ours!"

When our profession (as a collective) starts thinking more like a Trade Union, will be when our profession starts becoming a career instead of a job.

Skipper

As long as the industry rewards you by seniority then this is the way it has to be. F9 was not in a position to demand anything, especially what they demanded. This is life, get use to it. Some have good luck and some have bad luck. You never know how life will turn out. F9 will have to live with their decision. Unfortunately, it probably will be a bad choice they made.

When our profession (as a collective) starts thinking more like a Trade Union, will be when our profession starts becoming a career instead of a job.

Skipper

This profession is more like a professional athlete's career. You're only on top until the next guy comes in and takes away you're job.

This profession is more like a professional athlete's career. You're only on top until the next guy comes in and takes away you're job.

I've used that comparison for years. It also resembles Roman Gladiator, Professional Wrestler, Rock Star,....and Catholic Priest.

Skipper

Close .. . . . We need a Airline Pilots' Guild, like the American Medical Association, or the Bar Association. Set rules that companies have to follow if they want to have their aircraft flown.

Let's get out from under the RLA completely; use the Guild to discipline airlines for abusing our Guild members . . . no more "grievances" . . just document the incident, and then fine the Company, and warn them future violations will result in a 1 day, 3 day, 10 day or 30 day shut down for abusing any Guild rules, depending on the severity.

If the Airlines don't like it, they can buy buses.

FUPM

Last edited:
This perspective is exactly why the piloting profession is (and has been) on a downhill slide. "kick 'em while they are down... We got ours!"

Skipper

You forget that our profession is part of a larger business. And the willingness of the customer to pay in this business is at an all-time low. It has nothing to do with "kicking them" when they are down. Since when, in any industry, does the company in bankruptcy negotiate from a position of power? SWA pursued this only a business opportunity, and no matter how much you, I or the next person likes or dislikes it, this is a business. And furthermore, I'd have to say that SWA treats its people better than ANY other airline, so I think that joining that pilot group would be a tremendous improvement for the overall profession.

Latest resources

Back