• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

It's official, no deal now

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There was no "best and final offer" opener, but there was an opener that didn't start with a wish list.

The reality is that there was never time for all the monkey motions and posturing of a traditional integration "negotiation".

Regardless, I believe the window of opportunity has come and gone.

That's o.k., we didn't come to an agreement, we each go our separate ways.

Probably true. Hey, maybe the AMR pilots are looking to hook up with the NWA guys? That would be fun, for one of the groups....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Probably true. Hey, maybe the AMR pilots are looking to hook up with the NWA guys? That would be fun, for one of the groups....
Bye Bye--General Lee

Almost as much fun as watching DALPA try and dictate SLI to UAL.

Almost as much fun as watching DALPA try and dictate SLI to UAL.

UAL and their pilots (or whatever piece of it DAL would buy) would likely be better off than you will at your soon-to-be shrinking airline.

at least they'll get a fair shake, which is better than anyone associated with NWA will get.

Last edited:
Delta has a massive regional jet problem on its hand. Its liability is ten times that of NWA at least. NWA's regionals are profitable right now even at $110bbl.

They are profitable at $110/bbl because they get fuel at subisdized prices that are based on ~$75/bbl while DS claims "we" are bleeding fuel dollars.

If PNCL, CPZ, and XJ had to pay street prices for fuel they'd be the biggest red line on the books.

Sanity or Lack Thereof

Gents,

It might be a good time to relax and take a breath. The proposals aren't as far apart as you think...and the differences could be overcome.

The DAL team moved, and the NWA team moved. Both developed a new method for solving the "stagnation" issue. Within the methodology, there was/is room for BOTH sides to move without selling their souls. One side is ready to move. The other isn't...right now.

Nothing in airline negotiations happens without a deadline, and there is no deadline. (If there is, and it hasn't been made clear to both sides, then management will have gooned this)

The chipping here is stoo-pid. These are two strong airlines that have solid pilot groups.
I agree. I'm sure if the NWA MEC sent a letter to the pilots, it would say the same thing as Moak's only reverse each MEC's position. Each side on this board thinks they have all the answers and really know what is going on....I doubt it. Each side also thinks they are right and the other is "unreasonable." Each side thinks what they see as "fair" should should be readily accepted by the other as "fair." Both sides think they are right (surprise, they're pilots)! Funny how in the beginning, everyone here was shouting, "No Merger, lets go it alone," and now it's "Why can't these idiots come to an agreement and get this deal done." I tend to think the fat lady is warming up her voice, but she hasn't started singing....yet. Bring on the deadline...time will tell.

For those that read Richard and Ed's memo on the new business plan, did you catch one of the last sentences in that long memo?

"While we must act to keep Delta strong in the face of record high fuel prices and a worsening domestic economy, the Board of Directors and senior management will continue to explore our strategic options. As we have previously stated, we support industry consolidation as a vehicle to ensure Delta remains an industry leader. The Special Committee of our Board continues to work with our senior leadership team on strategic alternatives. The Board, at its discretion, will act in the best interest of all Delta stakeholders. While the rise in fuel and the weakening economy present near-term challenges, our long-term view remains that consolidation may be the right course of action."

As many have said, I wouldn't count on this deal being dead yet.

No parking of mainline planes supposedly...

Reuters
Delta looks to cut 2,000 jobs
Tuesday March 18
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines Inc (NYSE:DAL - News) is looking to cut 2,000 jobs, or more than 3 percent of its work force, as the No. 3 U.S. airline struggles with high fuel costs...

These reductions will be achieved partly by taking 15 to 20 mainline aircraft and 20 to 25 regional jets temporarily out of service.

High oil is an industry problem, not an RJ problem and mainline is going to feel it too. When you park RJs that are bringing people to the hub that subsequently get on a mainline aircraft, you proportionally reduce the need for all those mainline aircraft.

When oil starts pushing $150 a barrel and only the rich are flying, the airline industry isn't going to need all this capacity and being a captain for a company that operates 50 to 76 seat jet aircraft may be an OK place to be.

How do you suppose ALPA will wage it's war on the small jet and its pilot members who fly them when that happens?

Last edited:
I agree. I'm sure if the NWA MEC sent a letter to the pilots, it would say the same thing as Moak's only reverse each MEC's position. Each side on this board thinks they have all the answers and really know what is going on....I doubt it. Each side also thinks they are right and the other is "unreasonable." Each side thinks what they see as "fair" should should be readily accepted by the other as "fair." Both sides think they are right (surprise, they're pilots)! Funny how in the beginning, everyone here was shouting, "No Merger, lets go it alone," and now it's "Why can't these idiots come to an agreement and get this deal done." I tend to think the fat lady is warming up her voice, but she hasn't started singing....yet. Bring on the deadline...time will tell.

Our ZIPLINES will come out today.

Both sides understand the concerns that the other side has with each proposal. That's why there's a chance a deal can be made.

As many have said, I wouldn't count on this deal being dead yet.

They're not necessarily talking about NWA. There are other assets/strategic options available besides NWA.

No one can predict with certainty the future, but this deal is about as dead in the water as it's going to get.

Will there be a forced merger with NWA? Probably not. According to RA, mergers are very risky.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back