• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Its October and NO recalls at AA.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AA's plan is to shrink down to about 500 jets. We currently have over 600. What better way to accomplish that than to park jets as pilots retire. And that is what they've been sticking to.

They also will not recall pilots, thereby letting the pilots "win", until we sign the new contract. APA has every intention on dragging its feet, since we are in early openers (contract not amendable until 2008.) Therefore, I don't think we'll be seeing recalls and the stopping of shrinkage until at least then. And that's fine - shrink away, folks, and keep losing market share. See if we care. (Hey that rhymes.)

Well, this is quite a change from you've been saying for most of the past year.

IHF

Do you guys really believe that AA is going to park another 150+ airplanes on top of what they have already parked? I personally think it is a "fear grenade" from management as part of the ongoing contract negotiations. If they really are planning on parking that many planes, they had better start now as they sure can't park that many overnight. I would also expect to see furloughs as the loss of 150 jets translates to more than 1500 jobs lost.

Do you guys really believe that AA is going to park another 150+ airplanes on top of what they have already parked? I personally think it is a "fear grenade" from management as part of the ongoing contract negotiations. If they really are planning on parking that many planes, they had better start now as they sure can't park that many overnight. I would also expect to see furloughs as the loss of 150 jets translates to more than 1500 jobs lost.
Maybe someone worth flying for will buy them, and they will hire the 1500 furloughees after they hire the already furlough guys that are already typed. Funny how things work, Gear up please!

It's all speculation.... but knowing how AMR does things from the past, it always seems that they don't recall/announce new aircraft orders until a new pilot contract is signed. Also, this would not translate to furloughs - rather, it is to keep the airline "right-sized" to correspond to the number of retirements we have coming up (+/- 500/year.) Otherwise, they'd have to cancel flights due to pilot shortages.

I Hate Freight - I know it's a switch from what I've been saying. What can I say, I've goofed it up quite a bit over the last two years. At least if I'm pessimistic now, any good news will be real welcome!

Heard the letters have been delayed 'til November....

I actually think AA will recall fairly soon. Get a few hundred needed folks back on property and then they can eventually use 'em as hostages (since the flowback agreement will expire in the next year or two) if they need a little extra negotiating leverage.

Latest resources

Back