• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Italian court bans Emirates from flying Milan-JFK

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Demand on this sector increased by 97% from last summer and avg ticket prices went from $1900 to $1500.

The airline has until until Spring 2015 to appeal.

Fifth freedom widely enjoyed by US majors in Asia.

Just sayin.

fv

Demand on this sector increased by 97% from last summer and avg ticket prices went from $1900 to $1500.

Just sayin.

fv

I already bought my tickets on Emirates on this route it was $655 roundtrip pp.

Just sayin.

fv

Last time I checked only a few US airlines had 5th freedom rights (UA and DAL) and those original rights were negotiated decades ago after WWII (Pan Am, Northwest, etc.). No other US airlines have those rights.

Given that Emirates would have to negotiate with the EU for more rights and EU airlines would be directly impacted by the increased competition and capacity, who knows what the result could be. I just read on another board that Emirates may have some pre-negotiated rights out of Manchester, UK to the US - not sure how strong that market would be for O&D passengers.

It will be interesting to see how countries in the future respond to their own airlines getting beat up by Emirates and the other 2 ME carriers (better service and increased capacity) and how that impacts traffic rights.

EK getting 5th freedom in the US was a long shot. The huge danger was them getting it in Europe, and utilizing their competitive advantages to push competitors out of the trans atlantic market.

Hopefully this ruling stands up to appeal, and we are able to keep our jobs and our corporate profits here in our country.

I'm going to go a different direction here.

If Emirates wants to pay me the amount of money they do first year to have a base in America along with the housing I'm all for it. Beats $40/hr at AA.

If Emirates wants to take over the world why are we as pilots fighting it? They have a superior product. That's a fact. If they had a JFK, LAX, ORD and DFW domicile why wouldn't we all apply there instead of AA, UA, Delta, Spirit, etc?

I understand if you are senior at a Legacy and don't want to see your flying go away to them, but I don't understand why anyone trying to get on at a Legacy shouldn't want them to expand with US bases. What am I missing?

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/international/emirates

First year Emirates FO pay is $6890/mo plus $12.22/hr

Guaranteed minimum 3% raise per year

Free villa for a family with kids. Free 3 bedroom condo if married with no kids. Opt out of housing and get $3000/mo instead.

So first year pay if you have your own housing already would be $10,000/mo plus $12.22/hr.

Last edited:
Labbats,

Just an FYI your housing allowance numbers are incorrect.

We will see if the ruling sticks. Seems like the Italian courts are rife with corruption. I seem to remember Berlusconi being found guilty of soliciting a 17 year old for prostitution, tax evasion, and bribing a judge in Rome. I don't think he's spent any time in jail yet. Dolce and Gabbana were also sentenced to over a year in jail for tax evasion. I think the Italian courts are a joke. As long as you grease the right palm you will be fine. I'm sure EK will figure out who needs to be taken care of.

Also Etihad is about to buy a major share in Alitalia. Not sure how that will effect the outcome but I imagine it's going to help the UAE carriers. For every honest politician there are scores of crooked ones.

Latest resources

Back