• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

It keeps getting better, ASA nonrev fees increase

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yeah that's true..management does so I guess I should just be happy with whatever crap sandwich they will be serving up next week. yay

You say that as if you think $70k is a lot of money.

It is not.

Turbo

I've lived on an average of $30K the last 3 years.

With 3 kids.

$70K/year with raises every year sounds like a LOT of money to me.

It's all a matter of perspective.

Good for you (really, I mean that). I still say $70k is not a lot of money. And if I thought I would top out at less than $100k, I would not have spent the time, money, and effort to get into this unstable industry.

Turbo

Good for you (really, I mean that). I still say $70k is not a lot of money. And if I thought I would top out at less than $100k, I would not have spent the time, money, and effort to get into this unstable industry.

Turbo

It's a dream come true for me...but I am coming from a background of self-employment.

I've been a web programmer for years. Got into flying several years ago and am about to be furloughed from ASA.

I've been on reserve since May.

I almost never work. I do maybe one or two trips a month.

The rest of the time, I build web applications for clients and bill 10-30 hrs a week from my home office or laptop.

I've been making more from web development than the airline has been paying me.

So, it's like I am still a self-employed web programmer...but with 2 paychecks a month deposited into my account, great benefits and travel privileges for myself and my family.

That, and just about the time I'm getting fed up with being in the house with everyone, crew scheduling sends me on a little jet-powered tour of the eastern US...where I get to fly the jet!

It couldn't be better!

I think the secret to being happy with an airline pilot career is to treat it for what it's worth: a great part-time second job.

Always have something else to do!

Just a matter of perspective I guess.

The furlough will sort of suck for me, it's going to be a big financial hit...but I really want to take the opportunity to learn with my family about how to live with less and get out of the credit/consumerism trap that has ensnared so many Americans.

When I get recalled, it'll be like a bonus: I'll get to go to training again, have more money in surplus to what my family needs and be able to take trips!

Life is good! Be happy!

I'm not quite sure I understand how you have been making more money as a web development than flying and still make less than $30k/yr.

As far as the "fun of flying", I can understand that if you do a trip or two a month. Fly 800-1000hrs/yr for a few years and see if you still feel that way about it.

Turbo

Your the one living the dream.....

I'm not quite sure I understand how you have been making more money as a web development than flying and still make less than $30k/yr.

As far as the "fun of flying", I can understand that if you do a trip or two a month. Fly 800-1000hrs/yr for a few years and see if you still feel that way about it.

Turbo

Turbo,
It says on your cedentials that your the one living the dream. You haven't topped out at $70K, you just have to change airlines if you want more. Many things in life involve risk for greater reward. Not saying that it is easy, but next time the majors are hiring, you have to be willing to put that seniority online.
Luv

Turbo,
It says on your cedentials that your the one living the dream. You haven't topped out at $70K, you just have to change airlines if you want more. Many things in life involve risk for greater reward. Not saying that it is easy, but next time the majors are hiring, you have to be willing to put that seniority online.
Luv

....like Eastern, Braniff, TWA, Pan Am, United, USAir....roll the dice.....

Turbo,
Luv

Somewhat myopic, don't ya think?

Latest resources

Back