It keeps getting better, ASA nonrev fees increase

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Turbo,
It says on your cedentials that your the one living the dream.

That is what they call "Facetious"

I re-read your post, and I see that you wrote "living on" not "making", so I assume that you fly at SWA and make considerably more than 30k.

And I didn't say anything about me making 70k, I made close to 90k this year, which is why I know 70k isn't so hot (because 90k isn't that great, either).

As far as moving on to a better paying job, I intend to when the oportunity comes. But there is a lot of luck involved. And, although I don't generally agree with Joe, I do agree that I shouldn't have to take that much risk to move on. Another reason why I need to make more than I do (or would as an FO at a major)- to make the risk palatable.

Turbo

I'm not quite sure I understand how you have been making more money as a web development than flying and still make less than $30k/yr.

I've been ramping up the web dev work slowly over the last few months. At the level I billed in December, it's surpassing my airline earnings.

I'll be able to take on more work and increase billable hours in light of recent news.

As far as the "fun of flying", I can understand that if you do a trip or two a month. Fly 800-1000hrs/yr for a few years and see if you still feel that way about it.

Turbo

Thanks, but I don't think I want to do it like that.

My plan (after recall) is to stay on reserve as long as it's slow and the reserves aren't used much...then once it gets busy, drop as many trips as I can as a lineholder.

This is a way better part time job than it is a sole means of making a living.

Like I said earlier, I'm sort of an independent thinker...don't expect to agree with me or see things my way very often.

You say that as if you think $70k is a lot of money.

It is not.

Turbo

Its a matter of perspective. To me, its a decent amount of money. Especially for a job that has decent raises every year. At 70k you are making more money than most people in the USA. It allows you to live a comfortable middle class lifestyle or better. What more can you ask for? Filet Mignon?

As far as topping out under 100k, I don't know any well paying regional that does that. Hell you can make more than that as a senior capt at Mesa.

Last edited:
My plan (after recall) is to stay on reserve as long as it's slow and the reserves aren't used much...then once it gets busy, drop as many trips as I can as a lineholder.

Hmmm... you used the word "plan" while refering to your airline career. At a regional airline, at that.

Good luck with that.

Turbo

Its a matter of perspective. To me, its a decent amount of money. Especially for a job that has decent raises every year. At 70k you are making more money than most people in the USA.

And my perspective is that after spending years and many $$$ getting qualified for this job, and then spending years on "the street" underemployed due to 9/11, and then facing a huge paycut to move forward in this career, and then being at the bottom of a list highly subject to losing my job again, I say $70k is not adaquate.

Risk > Reward

Turbo

And my perspective is that after spending years and many $$$ getting qualified for this job, and then spending years on "the street" underemployed due to 9/11, and then facing a huge paycut to move forward in this career, and then being at the bottom of a list highly subject to losing my job again, I say $70k is not adaquate.

Risk > Reward

Turbo

That is why some of us "choose" not to go to the bottom of another list and start over again....It isn't worth it to many now.....

Which I understand. However, I feel a senior position at a "regional" is false security. To much chance for closing domiciles (I won't commute), or your flying being completely replaced. And yes, I will stipulate, ALPA as a whole has made many mistakes leading to this situation. And yes, I also realize that "the majors" aren't exactly stable. I just feel the instability is compounded working at a subcontractor.

And it doesn't change the fact that I don't think 70-90k is a "lot" of money. And I want a pony.

Turbo

Good for you (really, I mean that). I still say $70k is not a lot of money. And if I thought I would top out at less than $100k, I would not have spent the time, money, and effort to get into this unstable industry.

Turbo

75% of all millionaires make less than 6 figures. It's not how much you earn, it's what you do with it. Not to say a guy shouldn't have the majors as a goal, I do, but happiness isn't what you achieve, it's who you are.

A$$hole= Someone who states a large sum of money is not that large in order to make himself look successful to his peers.

70K IS a lot of money to most people in the WORLD. If you can only scrape by on 70K-90K and you don't live in Manhattan, you need to read some money management books...Seriously

Last edited:
Republic is getting the same raise in fees. However if you have all ready set yourself up then you don't have to pay until your next renewal.

Latest resources

Back