• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Israeli consul denied seat on U.S. flt.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
After reading all these posts I can't help but believe there is a great misunderstanding about the authority of a PIC.

Contrary to what many think, a PIC working for an employer DOES NOT, I repeat, DOES NOT, have the authority to arbitrarily make any final decision concerning the aircraft he/she is flying. The PIC's authority only goes as far as the SAFETY of the aircraft and passengers, and his decision MUST be able to "hold water." And, counter to what "Flyinbrian" believes, the PIC certainly is accountable to a higher authority. If you don't believe this then you are definitely new to aviation.

An employer hires a PIC to make safe and sound decisions which will benifit the success of the company. If a PIC gets a "brain cramp" and decides to kick off all passengers because they are wearing blue shoes, he will surely be pulled onto the carpet for such an irrational decision.

Besides being accountable to your boss, you are also accountable to your FO and all the passengers on board. If I'm riding in the back as a pax, you can be darn sure I'm holding that PIC accountable for getting me safely to my destination. And if he delays the flight because of some "bull#@%" personal issue I'll will make sure he gets a "reality check."

If you go through your aviation career thinking you are GOD on your aircraft, you will certainly have a bumpy ride.

Timp

God never made captain, but He's always the co-pilot.

TIMP, thanx for adding some logic and knowledge to this topic,I was lucky years ago to change a strange decision a major airline made to kick off certain passengers...yeh the dirty MEDIA...

This captain made a poor decision and a spectacle of himself. He greatly exceeded his authority and made his decision based on Pinkas's nationality and religion. This is wrong and discraceful anyway you slice it. I agree that the PIC has the right to refuse service if there is a legitamate safety concern. Like any other mistake a Captain makes, he must be accountable. The muslim secret service agent who was denied boarding on the AA flight had improper paper work and a fire arm. These are two completely different set of circumstances. If the decision was based on his Arab decent, I would say that was wrong also, but I don't believe this was the case.
Being an airline pilot is a tremendous responsability. I love my job and feel honored to have this priviledge. I hate to second guess a fellow Captain but I can see absolutely no grounds or circumstance that would justify his decision. I don't think he should lose his job over this but there should be some form of discipline.
About that comment I read earlier regarding foreigners and their rights, unless you are native american, you are a decendent of foreigners.

Hey Dep676 & Acestick,
If the Captain refused to fly Hispanics, African Americans, or Catholics, would you still support him? The captain had no logical reasoning when he made this decision. It is much more than just hurting the feelings of a few foreigners. This is predjudice and bigitry. I don't beieve the FAR's include this in the PIC authority.

OOOOH, What the h*ll...

The pilot obviously felt that carrying a high ranking Israeli official on his airplane posed an unnecessary risk to the airplane. Think about it, how hard is it to blow up an airplane????? Not very! As far as if Arafat was on an airplane, you wouldn't have to worry about it because the Israeli government doesn't blow up airplanes filled with innocent people. I agree that the risk was negligible and I probably wouldn't have made the same decision.

P.S. I have no idea about anyone's nationality, but when I saw frenchy's name, I thought "frogs". I could care less about your country of origin.

P.P.S. I happen to have several French Army rifles, they are in excellent shape, never been fired and only dropped once. ;)

'you wouldn't have to worry about it because the Israeli government doesn't blow up airplanes filled with innocent people. '

originaly posted by chawbein

Not true Isreali fighter jets shot down a libyan arab airlines 727 that strayed into isreali airspace in the 70's, the aircraft was identified as a civilian craft but was shot down in retalition for libyan support of terrorist events in the period. targeting and killing civillians is a terrorist act, wether your a lone suicide bomber or in the name of a state military.

Also does anyone remember the isreali attack on the U.S. military ship the USS Liberty during the 1967 war killing several american sailors? Isreal is not an innocent little victim!

Some of ya'll are quite quick to condem the Captain. I need more information before I'm willing to commit.

First, was the Captain scared of the Israeli, or of the possibility that some terrorist might blow up his 757 in order to assassinate the Israeli?

Did the Captain have some knowledge of a terrorist threat against either the Israeli or the airline?

Had the Captain witnessed some suspicious activity in the terminal previous to the flight?

Had there been any odd occurences at the screening checkpoint prior to the flight?

Obviously, we can use our 20/20 hindsite to observe just how "stupid" this Captain was, I hope that some of you are never in the position to be second guessed. I don't think you would take it very well.

8N

Latest resources

Back