Isn't flamebait

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UnAnswerd said:
Does anyone here NOT have a 4-year degree, and flying or not, do you consider yourself doing alright???
why are you asking? are you trying to justify why you don't need to get one. if at all possible, i would make an effort to go through a degree program. of course, you don't need to have one to succeed, but you will be gad you did down the road. :)

semperfido said:
why are you asking? are you trying to justify why you don't need to get one. if at all possible, i would make an effort to go through a degree program. of course, you don't need to have one to succeed, but you will be gad you did down the road. :)

Not trying to justify it by any means. Was just wondering. One day I'd like to get a degree myself, whenever time and money will allow...

Honest!, Unanswered is not my alter ego. But this goes to confirm that you can make it in aviation without having a degree. Nothing wrong with getting one on the side, never can tell it migfht open doors after you have logged your 1000 hours TJ PIC. But the best way to make it in aviation is to fly airplanes, you will be logging TJ PIC by the time you are 23.

pilotyip said:
.... you will be logging TJ PIC by the time you are 23.

Not part 121 or 135 you won't.

Who is going to hire a 21 year old pilot to be a PIC in jet equipment in a part 91 operation?

UnAnswerd said:
Not trying to justify it by any means. Was just wondering. One day I'd like to get a degree myself, whenever time and money will allow...

make it a priority.:)

I got an Associate Degree before I went into the Army, tried to finish while on active duty but kept getting deployed. I'd say I'm doing pretty good now. Got a nice home, 2 new vehicles, a bass boat, and just got a Harley yesterday!! Things are finally coming together after YEARS of sacrificing and doing without. You guys know what I mean.

English to log 135 TJ PIC you need only a Comm ticket only, plus 135 mins and type rating of course. Plus I know of a Pinnacle PIC who starting flying Captain at age 23 when they got their ATP. They are floating around the 135 business, and they started right out of high school, some are doing their degree on the side.

I know I've said a lot on this subject already, but since the topic has been breeched yet again...

I'd say that it is definitely possible to be a successful pilot, or anything else for that matter without a college degree, the obvious exceptions being professions such as doctor, lawyer, accountant, etc. I firmly believe that a person can do anything that they put their mind to. This is not always what I have said in the past; I've revised my thinking a bit.

However, I will say that I am very glad that I completed my undergrad degree--my current job required it, and the job that I'd like to end up doing also makes it a "show stopper" (Not the airlines, yip, in case you are wondering.) I'm also glad that I have the opportunity to further my knowledge and skill through the master's program that I'm in now. I have already seen a lot more opportunities open up that wouldn't have had I skipped college. Education will never hurt you.

There you go. Everybody should decide for themselves whether they should go to college or not. My hope is that they choose wisely.

-Goose

Some presidents didn't finish high school. Some millionaires didn't finish elementry school. You're still better off getting a degree. Having a degree will open some doors for you that wouldn't be available without one.

English said:
Not part 121 or 135 you won't.

Who is going to hire a 21 year old pilot to be a PIC in jet equipment in a part 91 operation?

It is rare, but it happens. I know three pilots who got left seat of a TJ when they were 23. Two 121 (one was a DC-9), one 91.

Latest resources

Back