Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
Does anyone here NOT have a 4-year degree, and flying or not, do you consider yourself doing alright???

Only High School diploma here. Haven't missed a flying paycheck in 30 years.

Own nice home, nice car, several toys to play with. Do spend a lot of time on the road though.

AK

I've mentioned it before, but I have no degree. I won't say it hasn't hindered me, but only in areas I didn't want to go.

Most of the jobs I do aren't interested in what's on paper, only in what you can do.

I've started the ERAU distance learning program, and have an associate underway in aircraft maintenance, but neither is complete, and each gets dropped frequently due to work load and duties. My only purpose for either is an example to my kids. At some stage when they want to bypass their education, at least I'll have something to show them when then say "but dad, you didn't do it."

They'll be partially correct, but something to show to encourage them is better than nothing.

I should add that I would never encourage someone NOT to seek a formal education...though I'm of firm belief that true learning takes place in the field.

UnAnswerd, rule #1 around flightinfo -

Don't give pilotyip any more bait!

No degree and doing fine for now. With that said, I am currently looking into some sort of distance learning program. I've found that people do always seem to ask where you went to school when when you meet them for a trip, and they usually look surprised when you tell them you don't have a degree.

Good luck degree or not......................

23rd year senior in college. I'd have to say that the lack of a degree has only kept me from getting hired at TWA in their last couple of years (thank God) and United. Neither of which I regret. If ATA sh!ts the bed, it might become an impediment. I've been taking correspondence courses from Thomas Edison and ERAU sporadically for the past six years and now that I'm not negotiating anymore, I'll probably push to get the degree completed in the next 18 months or so.

Still working towards it

Went High School to Flight School (US Army WOFT). Working towards my Degree ever since. Still at it. Getting closer every year.

FreightNazi said:
High school only here. In fact only a 1.7 HS GPA! I would say that I'm doing quite well, thank you!
Ummm... anyone looking at your last dozen or so posts might disagree. :D

Latest resources

Back