Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Times change

Here's the thing:

My grandparents came to this country basically illiterate and they owned a house, a car and raised a family.

My parents had a high school education and owned a house, a car and raised a family.

I have a four-year degree and live out of a suitcase.

Take that as you will.
Good luck.

Last edited:
mar said:

That that as you will.
Good luck.

Yeah, but the Family Court Judge will normally let you keep your suitcase....

;)

mar said:
Here's the thing:

My grandparents came to this country basically illiterate and they owned a house, a car and raised a family.

My parents had a high school education and owned a house, a car and raised a family.

Take that as you will.
Good luck.

Not that I usually agree with PilotYIP, but on this issue I do. I decided not to go to college and instead start flying professionally after high school. I got a job flying checks and on my 23rd birthday took my ATP/Learjet type/Lear 135PIC check at the same time. I continued to fly there for a couple of more years after which I got a job at my current employer, a very successful logistics company synonymous with a dark color!

If I went to college, I probably would have fallen into the trap of getting a job at a regional and trying for one of the pax majors. I'm very happy that I chose my route instead.

I'm pretty confident that I'm the only person from my high school graduating class with a 1.7 GPA that is making in the mid $200,000s!

FreightNazi said:
I continued to fly there for a couple of more years after which I got a job at my current employer, a very successful logistics company synonymous with a dark color... I'm pretty confident that I'm the only person from my high school graduating class with a 1.7 GPA that is making in the mid $200,000s!

Well, if it's the same logistics company that I'm thinking of, you likely had some help from the "inside," and your education, or lack thereof, probably wasn't much of a corollary.

Don't get me wrong here--good on ya for networking! I'm just saying that as a general rule we shouldn't necessarily associate forgone education with six figure incomes (or unforgone education for that matter... Is unforgone a real word?)

But I totally agree with you on the whole "regional and going for a pax airline" thing, although I doubt going to college would have "railroaded" you that way. I have a BS and will have a masters, and I'm not going that route.

-Goose

Last edited:
Goose Egg said:
Well, if it's the same logistics company that I'm thinking of, you likely had some help from the "inside," and your education, or lack thereof, probably wasn't much of a corollary.

Don't get me wrong here--good on ya for networking! I'm just saying that as a general rule we shouldn't necessarily associate foregone education with six figure incomes.

But I totally agree with you on the whole "regional and going for a pax airline" thing, although I doubt going to college would have "railroaded" you that way. I have a BS and will have a masters, and I'm not going that route.

-Goose

I'll be the first person that says get the most education that you can get. But for me, college wasn't my thing and I'm fortunate to be in my current position. What gets me is that SOME on this board (mainly those from the expensive aviation universities) say that you CAN'T get a job at a major without a college degree. Maybe they say that to justify to themselves spending all of daddy's money or being in debt up to their eyeballs, but that sentiment is out there.

FreightNazi said:
What gets me is that SOME on this board (mainly those from the expensive aviation universities) say that you CAN'T get a job at a major without a college degree. Maybe they say that to justify to themselves spending all of daddy's money or being in debt up to their eyeballs, but that sentiment is out there.

Yeah, I've noticed that too, and have felt that same way in the past (although I most certainly did not go to an expensive academy.) I think it was probably wise of you to recognize that in your individual situation, you did not need college to meet your goals. I know for me, I doubt I would even have the same goals had I not been to college, and I definitely wouldn't be working where I am now, which is a job that I enjoy greatly.

So, perhaps the safest thing to say on the matter is that some of us need college to be a success, and some of us don't. It is up to the individual to be the judge of that.

I should be, I worked hard to get it!!!!

That's freakin' hilarious! And I'm pretty lucky my high school GPA wasn't down there too--all I did was eat, sleep, and ski.

Edit: And the only thing that I regret from high school is that I didn't ski more.

-Goose

Last edited:
I have a degree, and I'm flying a BE20 135 PIC. Started in that plane when I was 24. I believe many others here have/are doing the same thing. Still banging on doors for the right corporate job.

Last edited:
i agree. shouldn't associate forgone education with six figure incomes. then again, you can't rule it out. the degree may/may not open doors. it depends on the route you take. personality/flying ability/previous experience goes a long way. everyone takes a different route. who knows where you're going to end up? in the end, it's about being happy. it's about having fun.

if you look back on your life and were miserable, what was the point? i dropped out of college to start flying. i was tired of school. i hated going to class. i wanted to fly. i quit and moved to florida to instruct. did that for 15 months and fell a$$backwards into a 135 multi job in mass. did that for 2 yrs, now i'm flying hawkers. upgrading next month...at 24. i'm happy. if i had finished my degree (would've been miserable) and gotten an airline job (would've been miserable) i would have a miserable life.

more power to you $19K/yr airline f/o's but i just couldn't do it. not b/c i have a family to support. b/c i never really wanted to be poor again. i ate enough ramen and tuna while i was instructing. never again.

basically i'm just saying don't let people make you think you HAVE to have a degree to be successful. i used to think that. not anymore. so i might not get that ups job i wanted. i'll settle for a part 91 G-V.

flame away stewballs. f-ing prick. :-D

Latest resources

Back