• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Isn't flamebait

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
he was the one brgging about his 1.7 gpa. i could care less.

and for you people that think all regional fos make 19k a year need to get better info. 19k is low even for a first year fo. i am first year and will make about 27k this year and just under 40k next year. it should be more i will admit but 19k is just not true.

It is true, most aviation programs out there that are associated with a 4 year degree really try and push the whole airline gig. The program I'm involved with even has internships set up with regional airlines that are worth college credit, the funny part is they dont have anything set up like that with anything considered "major" or non airline related. Every CFI waits for 1000 hours and goes to their interview for $20 an hour, recently some left with hardly 600 hours....keep in mind though that most these kids have dreamed of flying for an airline as long as they can remember so in their case it is working out pretty good for them. As far as I go my set up couldnt be better. I'm earning a 4 year degree at a major DI school with a notoriously good basketball team, not rushing to grow up and have a job I would have never of gotten if I wasnt here. So here I am sunday afternoon with a hangover, a sunburn from the football game and tomorrow I'll get paid for a few hours of PIC multi turbine time....oh yea I'm only 20.

I have a degree in economics from a top 30 school, making 18K a year as a second year CFI.
I went to college because it was a prerequisite for any sort of a stable, albeit not very exciting corporate job. That was five years ago...
Now that I am aiming for the airlines, I find it rather useful to have as most of the places prefer one.
My college experience was very memorable, and I still think fondly of the four years it lasted.

I went to Hamburger University. An education for pilots to fall back on.

T-Gates said:
I and others have W-2's that could squash your statements....

First of all you work at ExpressJet, a plce with decidedly better pay than most other regionals.

You and others are lucky to be starting in an industry right now that is experiencing explosive growth still in the regional sector. Most new-hires at regionals today don't experience the long periods of reserve lines and straight-guarantee months. When I started my first regional job, I sat ready reserve for 9 months, and grossed just over 13,000 dollars, not including perdiem. That was only a few years ago.

Also, not everyone is flying RJ's, go ask FO's at Colgan, Commutair, Great Lakes, etc... Last I checked the pay there was still sub-20k for first year FO's.

I am not saying that there arent jobs out there that pay 19k at the regionals. but there are people on here that automatically assume that if you work at a regional and you are an FO you only make 19k. I am just telling them that there are decent jobs out there in the regional sector its just a matter of getting on with a good one. Most companies start out with a shiaty first year puy just look at CAL first year at 30K. but it goes up quickly. My point is the regionals can be a decent job.

Oversensitive? Who i could care less what people say because what it boils down to is what each persons situation is. I have said it before and will say it again,
to each his own.

carry on

i responded because i have nothing better to do at this time of the night.

Latest resources

Back