Isn't flamebait

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Me too...

...I have nothing better to do, as well.

So here's my boilerplate response to this conversation every time it comes around...

Go to college for an education.

Don't go to college to get a better job.

(P.S. But college is a good way to network and *THAT'S* really what this is all about...)

Good luck.

I regret Mine

Big U

I wish I had never gone to college. It is a waste of time and money for most of us. It takes an average of 5 years for people to make it through these days. In that time you could be a 121 Captain. The cycles of the market favor those who are exposed to opportunity the longest.
Next time I will buy one from California Pacific University instead. I know a few pilots who have done just that and are sitting at a nice major airline.

Skyline

Go to college to have something to talk about while watching the DME count down. Where else will you get the chance to just immerse yourself in something you like and even see a bit of the world too? (Yeah yeah, flying does this for me, too, but we're not talking about that...)

Fly for a living and do college at the same time, take it easy on credits, though. One needs something to do while sitting reserve in OMA. ERAU's extended campus has opened some interesting doors for me, too, more second career options than anything for right now.

There are folks that have gone from zero to hero in 90 days, to regional captain in under a year, busted themselves to get the degree in 2 years, and in 3 years are burned out wondering what happened to their love of flying. (Sitting reserve in EWR with a large dose of commuting to ORD quashed it -- That's what.)

Stop trying to fill in boxes and start doing things for yourself. Take a photography course, or underwater basket-weaving. Give yourself a life outside flying.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Latest resources

Back