• This site moved from forums.flightinfo.com to flightinfo.com. Please update your bookmarks.

ISLAND AIR the next CC AIR?

islandhopper

Clone War veteran
Joined
May 9, 2003
Posts
718
Total Time
5000+
Heard today that Mesa is indeed coming to Hawaii and they are buying Island Air Dash 8 operator. Anybody care to comment on this?
 
Last edited:

STREAKS

Skin and Steel
Joined
Sep 2, 2005
Posts
141
Total Time
4500
Yeah...

Dang, can't think of anything that isn't gonna get me suspended, but you get the picture!
___________________
If your glass is half full, try working for Mesa.
 

jenga

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 20, 2001
Posts
83
Total Time
2000+
OK, I'll bite. How reliable is your source, guys? I havent heard a thing. (That doesnt mean much). It could make sense when you consider some of the inner happenings as of late at IA. Add to that the feeling of impending doom I have had lately. (I hope I'm wrong).

By the way, what happened to CC Air when they were bought? More specifically, what happened to their pilots?
 

dash8driver

Foamy Specialist
Joined
Mar 25, 2002
Posts
1,218
Total Time
~.2842
jenga said:
OK, I'll bite. How reliable is your source, guys? I havent heard a thing. (That doesnt mean much). It could make sense when you consider some of the inner happenings as of late at IA. Add to that the feeling of impending doom I have had lately. (I hope I'm wrong).

By the way, what happened to CC Air when they were bought? More specifically, what happened to their pilots?
please expand on these "inner happenings".



.
 

jenga

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 20, 2001
Posts
83
Total Time
2000+
dash8driver said:
please expand on these "inner happenings".

.
I'm not privy to any insider info. I'm reffering to what's been happenning the last couple of months with regard to our fleet. I dunno, it could be tied to this Mesa deal,....or not.
 

Kevski

Now and Forever
Joined
Jun 22, 2005
Posts
28
Total Time
i^3
I've not heard this rumour around the hangar, it's probably as likely as an HA-AQ merger. WP expansion plans are going ahead -- ground equipment for the Q400s has been delivered, maintenance facilities are being upgraded, new pilots hired, etc. Just waiting for PWC to fix the engine problems before we take delivery of "new" aircraft.

Operation of a small turboprop fleet is exactly the opposite of JO's stated Hawaii plan, and the only logical reason for a buyout would be to shut WP down. However, I fear JO will try to accomplish this goal in a John D. Rockefeller-esq way. Willis can afford a fare war, but will he?
 

synchoff

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 29, 2002
Posts
84
Total Time
2700
Buyouts suck, particularly when working for a company you love. HOWEVER.

Frankly, I think you'd be LUCKY if Island Air was bought out by Mesa, aka CCAir (as opposed to just going out of business or competing with Mesa). CCAir guys were merged into our senority lists in a very fair way, and I suspect very few guys would want to uproot to work in Hawaii, so you'd be back in Hawaii flying a jet in less than a year (probably).

But I think it's more likely this whole scenario is bub-kus. Mesa flying in Hawaii will probably be done on the Mesa certificate . . . or so everyone is saying.
 

islandhopper

Clone War veteran
Joined
May 9, 2003
Posts
718
Total Time
5000+
Kevski said:
I've not heard this rumour around the hangar, it's probably as likely as an HA-AQ merger. WP expansion plans are going ahead -- ground equipment for the Q400s has been delivered, maintenance facilities are being upgraded, new pilots hired, etc. Just waiting for PWC to fix the engine problems before we take delivery of "new" aircraft.

Operation of a small turboprop fleet is exactly the opposite of JO's stated Hawaii plan, and the only logical reason for a buyout would be to shut WP down. However, I fear JO will try to accomplish this goal in a John D. Rockefeller-esq way. Willis can afford a fare war, but will he?
its called making them an offer they cant refuse. Something like a hostile takeover but a little more subtle. There is a term for it I cant remember...
FlyHi is OUT of the game... Mesa although LOSING round one has just won round two in Hawaii... Read this... http://starbulletin.com/2005/10/26/news/story03.html

With WP he may just be after the gates, ramp and counter space... JO's problem about where he is going to park? -- suddenly solved.
 
Last edited:

islandhopper

Clone War veteran
Joined
May 9, 2003
Posts
718
Total Time
5000+
jenga said:
I'm not privy to any insider info. I'm reffering to what's been happenning the last couple of months with regard to our fleet. I dunno, it could be tied to this Mesa deal,....or not.
PM me what you got Jenga. I will get it into the proper peoples hands.
 

islandhopper

Clone War veteran
Joined
May 9, 2003
Posts
718
Total Time
5000+
jenga said:
Please expand on "Screwed..."
SCREWED EXPANSION FOLLOWING...

It goes a little something like this... First mesa buys you and puts out a few press releases about "great expansion" etc etc... Easily brainwashed guys like synchoff post about how "this is the best thing for _______ airline"
http://www.purchasing.com/article/CA148648.html

Next thing to happen is Mesa begins to immediately force you to trash your contract to be more "competitive" and your pilot group resists...
http://cf.alpa.org/internet/news/2002news/nr02027.html

Finally you and your pilot group caves to Mesa's demands... You are now finally ready to be used against other airlines to "greatly expand" JGO's & Mike Lot'z pockets. You are defeated... The Mesa Monster keeps growing. These days, you either quit aviation and go do something else or you join the monster.
http://cf.alpa.org/internet/news/2002news/nr02032.html

Mickey Bowman, the just revealed vice president of scheduling and planning at mesa's "yet to be announced" Hawaii airline is one of the zombies left over from CCAir. CCair used to be a dash8 operator in Charlotte.

CCAir is not the only airline this has happened to, on the contrary, go to www.mesa-air.com/historydateline.html and youy can count for yourself how many airlines Mesa has made these "offers you cant refuse" to...
 

islandhopper

Clone War veteran
Joined
May 9, 2003
Posts
718
Total Time
5000+
synchoff said:
I think you'd be LUCKY if Island Air was bought out by Mesa
SEE! just like I said!

I am sure the WP pilots are just thrilled you will be saving them from themselves.

And Jenga... My source is right from the middle of the entire drama. It is confidential but if the rest of you all dont believe me I DONT CARE!
 
Joined
Sep 1, 2004
Posts
17
Total Time
ENOUGH
Kevski said:
Willis can afford a fare war
Not according to DOT financials they filed earlier this year before abandoning plans to upgrade to larger aircraft. JO is coming with a $142M war chest. Garavane has squat in reserves and no idea of wat to do. It's going to be a slaughter.
 

Lopaka

4 string member
Joined
Jun 24, 2003
Posts
77
Total Time
:-5
Don't like your source... Get a new one.
 

synchoff

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 29, 2002
Posts
84
Total Time
2700
islandhopper said:
SCREWED EXPANSION FOLLOWING...

... Easily brainwashed guys like synchoff post about how "this is the best thing for _______ airline"
...
ROLF :)

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Turn on the brainwash rays, baby! I need to be told again why my flying in the islands for Mesa is a bad thing (for me . . . cuz frankly, I DON'T care about you . . . NOR YOU for any Mesa pilot, that's for darned sure).


RTFQ next time. I said it would be better than the alternative of them going out of business in the face of Mesa competition. But we're won't be competing on 100% same routes anyway, so even that's not inevitable.

Again, this ain't gonna happen. It's Mesa Airlines with CRJ 900's. 737's if DW ever gives relief (NEVER GONNA HAPPEN) End of story.
 
Last edited:

islandhopper

Clone War veteran
Joined
May 9, 2003
Posts
718
Total Time
5000+
You know synchoff, it is so tempting to brag, but it gets you nowhere. I spent the afternoon with JD, both Aloha and Mesa' MEC attorney. It's amazing how much JO has told him (bragging) too!

LITTLE Aloha is going to (once again) set the tone for the airline industry. Watch Aloha this week. It won't be perfect for our pilots, (I wish it were) but we will show you how to deal with scum like JO. Dont buy mesa's lies. He is using pilots like you. Join the rebellion.

synchoff said:
ROLF :)

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Turn on the brainwash rays, baby! I need to be told again why my flying in the islands for Mesa is a bad thing (for me . . . cuz frankly, I DON'T care about you . . . NOR YOU for any Mesa pilot, that's for darned sure).


RTFQ next time. I said it would be better than the alternative of them going out of business in the face of Mesa competition. But we're won't be competing on 100% same routes anyway, so even that's not inevitable.

Again, this ain't gonna happen. It's Mesa Airlines with CRJ 900's. 737's if DW ever gives relief (NEVER GONNA HAPPEN) End of story.
 

RJP

Registered Eye-Poker
Joined
Jul 20, 2004
Posts
1,005
Total Time
daKINE
islandhopper said:
I spent the afternoon with JD, both Aloha and Mesa' MEC attorney. It's amazing how much JO has told him (bragging) too!
Care to expand on anything here "off the record"?
 

islandhopper

Clone War veteran
Joined
May 9, 2003
Posts
718
Total Time
5000+
RJP said:
Care to expand on anything here "off the record"?
SURE! Heres a NEWSFLASH! JO IS A TOOL!
 
Top