Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

islandhopper

Clone War veteran
Heard today that Mesa is indeed coming to Hawaii and they are buying Island Air Dash 8 operator. Anybody care to comment on this?

Last edited:
Yeah...

Dang, can't think of anything that isn't gonna get me suspended, but you get the picture!

OK, I'll bite. How reliable is your source, guys? I havent heard a thing. (That doesnt mean much). It could make sense when you consider some of the inner happenings as of late at IA. Add to that the feeling of impending doom I have had lately. (I hope I'm wrong).

By the way, what happened to CC Air when they were bought? More specifically, what happened to their pilots?

jenga said:
OK, I'll bite. How reliable is your source, guys? I havent heard a thing. (That doesnt mean much). It could make sense when you consider some of the inner happenings as of late at IA. Add to that the feeling of impending doom I have had lately. (I hope I'm wrong).

By the way, what happened to CC Air when they were bought? More specifically, what happened to their pilots?

please expand on these "inner happenings".

dash8driver said:
please expand on these "inner happenings".

I'm not privy to any insider info. I'm reffering to what's been happenning the last couple of months with regard to our fleet. I dunno, it could be tied to this Mesa deal,....or not.

I've not heard this rumour around the hangar, it's probably as likely as an HA-AQ merger. WP expansion plans are going ahead -- ground equipment for the Q400s has been delivered, maintenance facilities are being upgraded, new pilots hired, etc. Just waiting for PWC to fix the engine problems before we take delivery of "new" aircraft.

Operation of a small turboprop fleet is exactly the opposite of JO's stated Hawaii plan, and the only logical reason for a buyout would be to shut WP down. However, I fear JO will try to accomplish this goal in a John D. Rockefeller-esq way. Willis can afford a fare war, but will he?

Buyouts suck, particularly when working for a company you love. HOWEVER.

Frankly, I think you'd be LUCKY if Island Air was bought out by Mesa, aka CCAir (as opposed to just going out of business or competing with Mesa). CCAir guys were merged into our senority lists in a very fair way, and I suspect very few guys would want to uproot to work in Hawaii, so you'd be back in Hawaii flying a jet in less than a year (probably).

But I think it's more likely this whole scenario is bub-kus. Mesa flying in Hawaii will probably be done on the Mesa certificate . . . or so everyone is saying.

Kevski said:
I've not heard this rumour around the hangar, it's probably as likely as an HA-AQ merger. WP expansion plans are going ahead -- ground equipment for the Q400s has been delivered, maintenance facilities are being upgraded, new pilots hired, etc. Just waiting for PWC to fix the engine problems before we take delivery of "new" aircraft.

Operation of a small turboprop fleet is exactly the opposite of JO's stated Hawaii plan, and the only logical reason for a buyout would be to shut WP down. However, I fear JO will try to accomplish this goal in a John D. Rockefeller-esq way. Willis can afford a fare war, but will he?
its called making them an offer they cant refuse. Something like a hostile takeover but a little more subtle. There is a term for it I cant remember...
FlyHi is OUT of the game... Mesa although LOSING round one has just won round two in Hawaii... Read this... http://starbulletin.com/2005/10/26/news/story03.html

With WP he may just be after the gates, ramp and counter space... JO's problem about where he is going to park? -- suddenly solved.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back