Island Air Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ShizeyMcPilot

Hi. I have an interview with Island Air in HNL in two weeks and am wondering if someone could tell me a little bit about the airline such as QOL, contract hightlights, or upgrade times. Also, is there a training contract? thanks.

Last edited:
You would probably do better putting this thread under the regional forum. Also If you use the search function in the upper right side of this page you will find most all of your answers to your questions on Island Air.

That aside...most people who work here will tell you that why you want to be here should be the deciding factor to come. The answer should be something like...I love surfing and will put up with anything to do so. Also a good reason would be loving the weather and the water. Another would be I am looking for an island girl and can't find them in Ohio. If you are just coming out to have a regional job than Island Air is probably not for you. The lifestyle can be very good if the above things are important.

P.S. Generally if you meet the mins of 3000tt/1000me than you will be cross trained as a captain upon hire. When you actually sit as one is dependant on a lot of factors. Upgrade after a year with the company is 2500tt/500me. Also there is no training contract. Good luck on your interview.

Last edited:
KnowledgeSeeker said:
I love surfing and will put up with anything to do so. Also a good reason would be loving the weather and the water.
You even need to put up with 807 and 808. (world's highest cycle DHC-8s)

KnowledgeSeeker said:
Another would be I am looking for an island girl and can't find them in Ohio.
Good luck on this one. You're probably better off in Columbus, Ohio.

KnowledgeSeeker said:
If you are just coming out to have a regional job than Island Air is probably not for you. The lifestyle can be very good if the above things are important.
The pay's not real good, the summer schedule's a mess, there aren't enough reserves, etc. Oh, by the way, a studio apartment will run you over $1000.

Good luck.

HaHa. Thanks for the info guys. My #1 reason for Island Air is to upgrade to captain (I need the PIC time...) I have the minimums for captain by far but I have heard conflicting stories on upgrade time. Some say it will take forever and some say will be immediate...

The real problem here is I don't really want to move to HNL and would rather stay here in Chicago so I am thinking about canceling the interview. But if the upgrade opportunities are true I may stick with it.

Thanks

S McP

Why not go to Colgan instead if you want the instant upgrade? Then you wouldn't have to move to HNL.

What she said.

Guaranteed that you're not going to get an insta-upgrade at WP in the near future. They may type you in sim but you'll sit right seat for a LONG time as there are plenty of people to upgrade and the seniority list has stagnated.

On the bright side, if you wanna fly a Boeing, and earn 6 digits as an FO, Island air is the fastest way to get to Aloha. Aloha IS the best kept secret around. Excellent upgrade oppertunity, brandnew 737-700s, and possibly 787s. That said, Aloha is also the fastest way to get you furloughed, which is why this thread belongs here.

ShizeyMcPilot said:
The real problem here is I don't really want to move to HNL and would rather stay here in Chicago so I am thinking about canceling the interview. But if the upgrade opportunities are true I may stick with it.

S McP

If you don't want to move to HNL then forget it. Otherwise, go and make it a good experience. Never turn down a job you haven't been offered!

Latest resources

Back