Island Air Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ShizeyMcPilot said:
HaHa. Thanks for the info guys. My #1 reason for Island Air is to upgrade to captain (I need the PIC time...) I have the minimums for captain by far but I have heard conflicting stories on upgrade time. Some say it will take forever and some say will be immediate...

The real problem here is I don't really want to move to HNL and would rather stay here in Chicago so I am thinking about canceling the interview. But if the upgrade opportunities are true I may stick with it.

Thanks

S McP

Hey you know what, If your only reason is to build PIC time at Island Air, then stay in the mainland and accomplsh that! Dont come out here to our home and steal a possible position form one of the locals.

All you people from the mainland come out here then leave to go to another airline. The locals want to stay here and raise their and families and so forth, so go fly somewhere else.

Also you wont fit in because if your only goal is to build PIC time then split, the locals and people above you in senority will not be pleased and ice you out.

But every one deserves a chance, but like RJP said, "you wont fit in" because its very localized here in Hawaii, trust me I was born and raised here. Just my opinion though.

Last edited:
slatsnfive said:
Hey you know what, If your only reason is to build PIC time at Island Air, then stay in the mainland and accomplsh that! Dont come out here to our home and steal a possible position form one of the locals.

All you people from the mainland come out here then leave to go to another airline. The locals want to stay here and raise their and families and so forth, so go fly somewhere else.

Also you wont fit in because if your only goal is to build PIC time then split, the locals and people above you in senority will not be pleased and ice you out.

But every one deserves a chance, but like RJP said, "you wont fit in" because its very localized here in Hawaii, trust me I was born and raised here. Just my opinion though.

And that, folks, is the epitome of the warm welcome haoles can expect if we go to the islands. So much for the Aloha spirit. Bigotry is alive and well.

English said:
And that, folks, is the epitome of the warm welcome haoles can expect if we go to the islands. So much for the Aloha spirit. Bigotry is alive and well.

Ah yes, as people always say, "the truth always hurts" . Which is what Im trying to tell this Mcpilot person.

slatsnfive said:

Thankfully, this moron is the exception and not the rule. You'll run into a few dumb$hits who talk and act like this(freight dog would probably remember "Bucky" at Threes), but in general, you'll not find a nicer bunch of folks.
If your reason is to build PIC and you think WP is a good place to do it (I do), then by all means take the job if it's offered and ignore the $hitbirds out there.

Freight Dog said:
Ironically, the airplane in my avatar is N749AL which was returned a couple months ago left VCV yesterday as it was being delivered to Singapore.
I'll keep my eyes open for it!

Hugh Jorgan said:
Thankfully, this moron is the exception and not the rule. You'll run into a few dumb$hits who talk and act like this(freight dog would probably remember "Bucky" at Threes), but in general, you'll not find a nicer bunch of folks.
If your reason is to build PIC and you think WP is a good place to do it (I do), then by all means take the job if it's offered and ignore the $hitbirds out there.

Again like I say, would you rather have this Mcpilot person aware of what its like where their going or be totally shocked and unprepred, sorry for trying to help!

Hugh Jorgan said:

Also in short, maybe you ought to read whats listed under your ratings, "crude jerk", who's the moron now, I believe the word is contradicting, touche' brah!

And also to add, the people who have experienced these episodes are the ones who are bitter and wish not to accept it, as you can tell by their respones to my earlier thread, let it go man, let it go! just accept it and maybe you'll be a more happier person.

Last edited:
slatsnfive said:
Also in short, maybe you ought to read whats listed under your ratings, "crude jerk", who's the moron now, I believe the word is contradicting, touche' brah!
Apparently you. Who the hell do you think filled out the profile? By the way, is that a question or a statement? What is contradicting? Ladies and gentlemen, one sad thing that is true is that the public schools in Hawaii are the worst in the nation. A look at slatsnfive's statement essentially illustrates that fact. Anyway, come on out. Most of the people in Hawaii are awesome. Don't let a couple of inbreds ruin your time. There are folks like that everywhere you go. I'm reminded of an interesting welcome to Tennessee at a property management office once upon a time, but that's a story for another time....

I agree with Hugh. People in Hawaii, for the most part, are some of the best in the world. There are prikks everywhere, including Hawaii, so it should not surprise you. I am sure that if you look at the pilot's at WP, a fair number of them are haole's. So what. As long as you're not an a$$whole you'll be fine (just stay away from Waianae). If you think WP sounds like the place for you, then go to the interview, and take the job if it's offered to you. What some of the guy's above said is also true. Look into apartments, etc. before deciding to move, and make sure you'll be able to afford it on your salary. The rent prices have spiked, and are currently kind of ridiculous, so be prepared. Having said that, the flying is filled with 30-40 minute legs, beautiful weather, and controllers, who pretty much bend over backwards for you. I'm pretty sure that if you do decide to move to Hawaii, you'll never want to leave. Just my two cents.

Latest resources

Back