Is United Furloughing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

alaskaplt

Did United ever decide if they are going to furlough or not? If so how many and any idea what hire date it will go back to?

Thanks

Around 200 so far and another 400ish (including those on LOA) in January. Looks like the 8-ball at that time will be a mid 2000 hire.

Is it true that UAL recently purchased a bunch of fuel hedges based on $120 a barrel oil and are going to lose a bunch on it.....or do they have some sort of 'short' protection on them? Someone told me they may lose a million $ a day on them at the new low oil prices.

If they hedged oil at $120 they will lose money.

But, the point of the hedge was to keep costs stable, so they should balance the loss by having lower fuel costs. The problem is how quickly its fallen off. Its happened so fast that gas prices haven't come down, nor will they by the way, because the oil market is too volatile to allow it.

GLTA

They are going to furlough roughly 900 before next summer's schedule. Jan is going to start with 200+ on Jan. 14 and another 150+ Jan 24.

If they did the hedges the old fashion way, and not the SWA way yes they will loose money. I think that many airlines are going to loose a bunch this quarter.

I think anyone hired in 01 that returned. At the end of Jan 09 most jr is going to be 7212, that may translate to 9/00(rough guess)

Latest resources

Back