• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is United Furloughing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Friend on the 737 fleet just got his furlough notice for Jan/Feb. He left a solid regional job for UAL and he is pi$$ed. He is currently looking at opps in China, India and Dubai (FlyDubai).

Friend on the 737 fleet just got his furlough notice for Jan/Feb. He left a solid regional job for UAL and he is pi$$ed. He is currently looking at opps in China, India and Dubai (FlyDubai).

Alot of folks did this to achieve a goal they had. Hope it does turn around in the end for him. This all may be to set up for a merger in the end....and if that does happen, I am sure he will get recalled to a better situation. At least he has the ID badge to come back to.

First of all....the announcement for the additional furloughs in Jan. came out yesterday afternoon. It is impossible that your friend already got a furlough notice already...less than 24 hours. Voluntary furloughs have their opportunity now to take a leave....they have until October 29 to put their request in. For every person that takes the voluntary furlough...a involuntary furlough is saved.

If they did the hedges the old fashion way, and not the SWA way yes they will loose money. I think that many airlines are going to loose a bunch this quarter.

It's much more complicated than a simple contract to purchase at a certain price. According to United's press release from this summer, we hedge fuel using three-way collars.

What these contracts basically do is lock in the fuel price if it rises and protect the buyer if the price falls through the floor. For an example just using numbers I made up, let's say United sets up a 3-way with a cap at $110/bbl, and a "floor" of $100 (actually called put levels, but never mind the jargon).

Clear as mud???

Once again, just using a super simple model, if fuel rises above the cap of $110/bbl, the fuel vendor reimburses the buyer (United) for the difference, so we only pay $110 regardless how high it goes. If fuel prices remain (float) within a certain range between $110 and $100, there is no adjustment. If however, fuel prices plummet to say $85/bbl, the buyer must pay a small amount back to the fuel vendor, but we still pay well under the $100 contract price.

Today I feel lucky that I didn't go back to UA. Tomorrow might be a different story.

3/2000 hire.

GP

They are trimming down...in the slowest time of the year...most cuts in Jan.... before a merger. Smarter to do it that way...from a cost viewpoint. Just trying to have a realistic view instead of a short sided negative viewpoint. Will see what happens...just my opinion.

Latest resources

Back