• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is United Furloughing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here is another thing to look at. Assuming the DAL / NWA deal goes through soon. Delta had about 7400 pilots and 450 planes. Northwest had 4500 pilots and 350 planes for a combined total of 11,900 pilots and 800 planes. (approximate numbers from AirlinepilotCentral).

United has 7600 pilots and 450 planes (before parking any and furloughs). Continental has around 5000 pilots and 375 planes for a combined total of 12,600 pilots and 825 planes.

My guess is that CAL and UAL are going to trim the head count and number of airplanes down to some level that they are smaller than the combined DAL/NWA. This will make it an easier task to get the merger approved by regulators. Knock a 1000 pilots and 100 airplanes off of United's list and voila...it will be a done deal.

I can't wait to see when Tilton has to go before the Congressional Board begging for this deal and he is going to get completely raked through the coals when they bring up Executive Compensation.

Time will tell.

Exactly.

Andy:

Are going to be one of the lucky ones to keep your job this time through?

Was not sure what your hire date was. I know if I had come back, I would be furloughed again. Crap I being furloughed from my current position anyways. Just now I am currently at the top of the furlough list, last to go, versus being in the middle.

I wish all my friends at UAL good luck

iflyhigh

LOL! I guess you define lucky differently than me. I consider myself lucky to be collecting furlough pay a second time around because with the friction between management and labor, the 'ol lazy U's in full self-destruction mode.
I was hired June 2000; that puts me back on the street next spring. I don't have many active pilots below me.
Between voluntary and involuntary furloughs, I think that we'll surpass 2172 furloughs this time around. Good thing we passed age 65, eh?

Here is another thing to look at. Assuming the DAL / NWA deal goes through soon. Delta had about 7400 pilots and 450 planes. Northwest had 4500 pilots and 350 planes for a combined total of 11,900 pilots and 800 planes. (approximate numbers from AirlinepilotCentral).

United has 7600 pilots and 450 planes (before parking any and furloughs). Continental has around 5000 pilots and 375 planes for a combined total of 12,600 pilots and 825 planes.

My guess is that CAL and UAL are going to trim the head count and number of airplanes down to some level that they are smaller than the combined DAL/NWA. This will make it an easier task to get the merger approved by regulators. Knock a 1000 pilots and 100 airplanes off of United's list and voila...it will be a done deal.

I can't wait to see when Tilton has to go before the Congressional Board begging for this deal and he is going to get completely raked through the coals when they bring up Executive Compensation.

Time will tell.

CAL's page from Airline pilot central. 111 Boeing aircraft on order 2008-12. wonder if this is still accurate. If a merger is in the works...no need for UAL to have any aircraft on order. I still think there is a market for a 100 seater.

Joining the Star Alliance
CAL and United to cooperate on frequent flier programs, lounges, facilities, and IT
Parking 67 737 classics by end of 2009
By the end of 2009, all 737-300s will be retired
Rated top airline on Fortune mag's airline industry list of World's Most Admired Companies 2008
Two daily nonstops each from EWR and IAH to London-Heathrow
Ordered 8 777s and 19 737NGs in February
777 deliveries: 2 in 2009; 4 in 2011; 2 in 2012
111 Boeing aircraft deliveries between 2008-2012
As 737-300 small narrowbody aircraft are retired, being replaced with 737-800 large narrowbody aircraft; once complete approx. 55% of fleet (-800s, -900s and 757s) will pay at LNB rates
First N. American airline to operate the 737-900ER
Averaging 2-3 737NG deliveries from Boeing per month
2007 JD Power and Associates award as No. 1 airline in US
Domestic route map | Int'l route map
Six 737NG aircraft deliveries in 2009 have been deferred to 2010, but an additional 4 737NGs have been ordered for 2010
33 737NG deliveries in 2008
24 737NGs and 2-3 787s for 2009, and 10 737 NGs, 6 787s for 2009-2012
Continental serves more international cities than any other US airline
787 fleet total upon delivery completion: 25
This page last updated: Sept 14, 2008 (furlough update

Good thing for Prater andhis boys we were all asleep at the wheel when he fast-tracked Age-65.

"Oh don't worry guys, you get 5 more years to make up for your second furlough."

Yeah, he's a unionist... sure.:rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back