Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is turboprop PIC 121 time still so valuable?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Machdog1 said:
What about 135 Turbine PIC??
IN aircraft over 20000lbs

This too, is looked at, especially if the company operates Turboprops over 20,000 lbs. :) :) ;)

I think I'd value 2000 PIC in a 1900 MORE that in an RJ if I were the one making the hiring decisions. Think about it. It is harder to fly a TP or arguably even some piston twins than an RJ. In the 1900 you are often times slugging it out through the worst of the WX sometimes without an AP while truly having the mindset of PIC by thinking what your best "outs" are when picking up ice for example. In an RJ you are cruising at ease on top in bright sunshine with George doing the work while not having to worrying about picking up frozen stuff not to mention all the latest bells and whistles like EGPWS, WS alert system and others usually not found in a small TP. Heck, after all, if Richard Collins from Sporty's were 30 yrs younger I'd hire and trust him having mostly flown a C-210 with his thoughtful approach to all aspects of risk management, his tremendous insight, wisdom and knowledge and real world experience of weather and his deep grasp and understanding of ACTING as PIC. I'll bet my bottom dollar that all the other aspects such as CRM and systems knowledge would fall into place nicely for him as well.

If you are going to take away one sentence from my post THIS IS IT! It is the decision making, judgement, depth of experience and mindset of being PIC that should be the determining factor in entrusting a new hire to be a safe and easily trainable pilot regardless of whether a fan or a prop is in front of the engine(s)! Reference the recent SWA depressurazation thread to see what I mean!

Adios Amigos

Last edited:
I think bottom line is that turbine time is turbine time. After all, a turboprop IS a jet engine. It just has a small inferiority complex. The carriers that get all hung up on the over/under 20,000 are few and far between from my experience.

RJDC said:
Let me guess that one of those companies that hired the minority was UPS. They are amongst the most blatant pro minority companies out there ( I know, they won't hire my white a$$). The EEOC needs to file suit against them for reverse discrimination.

nope..it was a woman

PAPA FOX! said:
I think I'd value 2000 PIC in a 1900 MORE that in an RJ if I were the one making the hiring decisions. Think about it. It is harder to fly a TP or arguably even some piston twins than an RJ. In the 1900 you are often times slugging it out through the worst of the WX sometimes without an AP while truly having the mindset of PIC by thinking what your best "outs" are when picking up ice for example. In an RJ you are cruising at ease on top in bright sunshine with George doing the work while not having to worrying about picking up frozen stuff not to mention all the latest bells and whistles like EGPWS, WS alert system and others usually not found in a small TP. Heck, after all, if Richard Collins from Sporty's were 30 yrs younger I'd hire and trust him having mostly flown a C-210 with his thoughtful approach to all aspects of risk management, his tremendous insight, wisdom and knowledge and real world experience of weather and his deep grasp and understanding of ACTING as PIC. I'll bet my bottom dollar that all the other aspects such as CRM and systems knowledge would fall into place nicely for him as well.

If you are going to take away one sentence from my post THIS IS IT! It is the decision making, judgement, depth of experience and mindset of being PIC that should be the determining factor in entrusting a new hire to be a safe and easily trainable pilot regardless of whether a fan or a prop is in front of the engine(s)! Reference the recent SWA depressurazation thread to see what I mean!

Adios Amigos

What a load of crap!! I'm tired of hearing you TP guys try and justify flying the 1900 by slamming the RJ. The RJ must not be that bad because it seems many of those guys are interviewing at Southwest everyday. As far as harder to fly a TP, it depends. You have more levers to throw, but when I train guys in the Jet who come from at TP they are way behind at first. They can't get it slowed down. You knock how technical the RJ is? That's a plus to a recruiter. They know that you can handle a complex airplane, and I don't mean complex in the FAR sense of the word. Also, RJ guys do a lot more hand flying that you think.

Bottom line is try and make yourself as competitive as possible. They have the 20,000 pound requirement for a reason. Good luck whatever you decide.

It all boils down to recommendations.

I don't think Turboprop time will hold you back at all. Instead of worrying about what you're flying, I would worry about who you're networking with. Good or bad, jobs in this industry (and the world in general) boil down to who you know.

I know several guys who went to fedex with nothing but 1900d time. I have several friends at AWA with zero pic time who all do a good job and are standup people. Obviously, without a few good recomendations jet pic is the time to have. But in this day and age where qualified pilots are a dime a dozen, the best thing you can do to advance your career is to meet the right individuals. Impress them with your character and motivation. I think airlines want to hire people that they would be happy flying a four day with. My .02

Captain Overs said:
What a load of crap!! I'm tired of hearing you TP guys try and justify flying the 1900 by slamming the RJ.

Sounds like a guy that must have been born into the right seatt of an RJ or wait maybe PFTed his way into one.
If you would have ever flown TProps for a while you would understand. The biggest problem for Tprop drivers transitiong to jets is groundspeed when you are close to the airport and not being able to slow down like you are accustomed too. Basicaly Tprop drivers have to relearn their bag of tricks and it takes a little while to do it.
As far as the 1900 goes, I rate it pretty easy to fly.

Captain Overs said:
Bottom line is try and make yourself as competitive as possible. They have the 20,000 pound requirement for a reason. Good luck whatever you decide.

Why is that????:confused: I've flown jets over 20000 lbs and a TP at 15000 lbs, and I really couldn't tell the difference, weight wise. The jet was much easier to fly, so I really do not understand why certain companies want only jet PIC time. Flying is the easy part of aviation, it's all the decision making that makes a good pilot, whether it be in a jet or TP!!! :beer:

say again said:
Why is that????:confused: I've flown jets over 20000 lbs and a TP at 15000 lbs, and I really couldn't tell the difference, weight wise. The jet was much easier to fly, so I really do not understand why certain companies want only jet PIC time. Flying is the easy part of aviation, it's all the decision making that makes a good pilot, whether it be in a jet or TP!!! :beer:

It's 'cause it's an easy way to thin down a stack of resumes.

Latest resources

Back