Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is turboprop PIC 121 time still so valuable?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

saviboy

With most regionals equipped with Jets, is turboprop time (even if 121 PIC) still competitive?

These are the requirements for a FO position in a company flying A320 ( the airplanes are blue for those who did not guess):
  • 1500 hours total time in airplanes
• 1000 hours turbine in airplanes
• 1000 hours Pilot in Command Time*
• 1000 hours in airplanes at or above 20,000 pounds (maximum takeoff weight) or 1000 hours in large turbojet airplanes (12,500 lbs or above)

This company does not require turbine PIC, just 1000 turbine and 1000 PIC time.
I am getting SIC turboprop under 20000 lbs in a 121 company. The upgrade is "usually" pretty fast (within a year). A couple of years ago, when most regionals were equipped with turboprops, I would not have asked the question, but nowadays, I would like to know what kind of profiles recruiters are more interested in.

All my PIC time that was worth counting was in a turboprop over 20,000 lbs. Didn't hurt me any.

saviboy said:
With most regionals equipped with Jets, is turboprop time (even if 121 PIC) still competitive?

These are the requirements for a FO position in a company flying A320 ( the airplanes are blue for those who did not guess):
  • 1500 hours total time in airplanes
• 1000 hours turbine in airplanes
• 1000 hours Pilot in Command Time*
• 1000 hours in airplanes at or above 20,000 pounds (maximum takeoff weight) or 1000 hours in large turbojet airplanes (12,500 lbs or above)

This company does not require turbine PIC, just 1000 turbine and 1000 PIC time.
I am getting SIC turboprop under 20000 lbs in a 121 company. The upgrade is "usually" pretty fast (within a year). A couple of years ago, when most regionals were equipped with turboprops, I would not have asked the question, but nowadays, I would like to know what kind of profiles recruiters are more interested in.

competitive minimums have always been more of a base line then published hiring minimums... now days with all the furloughed 121 guys aswell as the lack of hiring for the past few years they probably aren't to worry about not finding anyone without atleast a few thousand hours of PIC time.

Saabslime said:
All my PIC time that was worth counting was in a turboprop over 20,000 lbs. Didn't hurt me any.

Thanks for the reply. I am getting time in a turboprop under 20000lbs. Would that make a big difference?

competitive minimums have always been more of a base line then published hiring minimums... now days with all the furloughed 121 guys aswell as the lack of hiring for the past few years they probably aren't to worry about not finding anyone without atleast a few thousand hours of PIC time.

That is true. I know I am not competitive now. I would need to get info on what kind of carreer move I should make, what kind of flight time I should get in order to be competitive in the near future. in other words, get 121 turboprop PIC under 20000 lbs or go on asap with a regional flying jets and hope for quick upgrade?

That is blatant discrimination against small turboprop pilots. I would think about filing a lawsuit against jetblue. Maybe then they would be forced by the courts to accept your flight time.

While PIC time in a turboprop isn't quite as versatile as PIC in a jet or large turboprop, there is still value to it.

I posted this in another thread about my current regional which flies only BE-1900s (under 20,000lbs). In the past year we have lost 3 to AirTran, 3 to Continental, 1 to Southwest, 1 to UPS, and 1 to Atlas. Granted 5 of the 9 were minorites or female, but there are 4 white males in that group as well.

So if your choice is PIC turboprop or SIC jet, I'd get at least 1500-2000 hours of PIC in the turboprop before I'd look towards an SIC job in a jet. Also don't pass up opportunities like being a check airman in a turboprop either, even if it means staying beyond 2000 hrs. I know at least Southwest loves that.

That all being said, it is frustrating when you talk to different carriers and they say they want jet time. I have run into that a few times myself.

What is even more frustrating is when you know of several turboprop guys getting hired at a certain company, and one day the CP jumpseats on your flight and you get to talking and he says that his company only hired guys with "significant jet time". Makes you want to drop your professional courtesy and call him a @&%#ing liar.

Done ranting.

Last edited:
Saabslime said:

Depends on where you are trying to go...

...by the way if Saabslime went to America West, there are plenty of people that got on in the last year they were hiring with NO Turbine PIC at all, whether it be a turboprop or jet.

Look at the handful of airlines in your dream porfolio and the minimums they require. If you or the time you are building meets them, then you have a shot...you just better be ready to back it up with a couple of nice internal reccomendations.

Also how long are you willing to ride it out at the company you're at now. Are you happy, can you tolorate it for the next 3-4 years? Hitting the magic 1,000PIC in anything isn't gonna get the phone ringing. Some are able to ride the 1900 right into thier dream company (probably happened more so in the past than it does now)...but for others they find themselves applying to other regionals/fractionals after 4 years.

If upgrade is superfast, if I were you I'd stay put,get the 1,000pic... take a look at what all the majors/regionals are doing. And then make a decision from there.

Right now pickins are slim...Majors & regionals.

Late.

NEDude said:
While PIC time in a turboprop isn't quite as versatile as PIC in a jet or large turboprop, there is still value to it.

I posted this in another thread about my current regional which flies only BE-1900s (under 20,000lbs). In the past year we have lost 3 to AirTran, 3 to Continental, 1 to Southwest, 1 to UPS, and 1 to Atlas. Granted 5 of the 9 were minorites or female, but there are 4 white males in that group as well.

So if your choice is PIC turboprop or SIC jet, I'd get at least 1500-2000 hours of PIC in the turboprop before I'd look towards an SIC job in a jet. Also don't pass up opportunities like being a check airman in a turboprop either, even if it means staying beyond 2000 hrs. I know at least Southwest loves that.

That all being said, it is frustrating when you talk to different carriers and they say they want jet time. I have run into that a few times myself.

What is even more frustrating is when you know of several turboprop guys getting hired at a certain company, and one day the CP jumpseats on your flight and you get to talking and he says that his company only hired guys with "significant jet time". Makes you want to drop your professional courtesy and call him a @&%#ing liar.

Done ranting.

Let me guess that one of those companies that hired the minority was UPS. They are amongst the most blatant pro minority companies out there ( I know, they won't hire my white a$$). The EEOC needs to file suit against them for reverse discrimination.

I am 1/32nd Cherokee Indian... I mean oppressed native American. Think I have a shot at UPS?

Man,

Of course PIC turbo-prop is worth somin. Most of the guys doing the interview are probably ex-t-prop if they are not cool military fighter dudes:D . It is in fact turbine PIC right not shiny jet Pic that they are looking for. Good luck my man, be proud of your propellers, don't hide them in a bushel. Be confident yet humble and be positive and good luck at the interview.

Latest resources

Back