Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is this forum the reason pilots are getting paid less?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FishandFly said:
Is this forum the reason pilots are getting paid less?
I doubt it, but it could be the reason pilots are getting laid less.

You have to take this site with a grain of salt. People say things they may not say or think otherwise because no one knows who they are. I think if we had to include our name and airline it would be a different board. I've egged people on just to see them get pissed before.

If you want a serious discussion on aviation go to a job fair.

I know mgt at my regional actually has an attorney that briefs the CEO every few days about what is being said on our company chat board. I am sure they also look at this one and others like USAviation. What better way for mgt to get an insight of what employees are thinking out there. I also know ALPA has someone in our company that copies all the posts also.
Our mgt also fired a pilot they managed to catch that posted the crewtrackers home phonenumbers and another pilot who posted a video he made from the cockpit of a landing.

FishandFly said:
Sig,
Yes, I realized that it was a jab. I didn't think it was worth responding to as you simply suggested that I was more of a jerk because I couldn't fill previous pilot's shoes.

I would have thought that fact would have gone without saying. A lot of previous and current pilots have had big shoes. I'm not attempting to match up.

Secondly,
While morality is religion based, I don't think it is so much to ask.

Third,
I appreciate your opinion. It supports the kind of lack of professionalism that I talk about.

You, just like a number of other forum members consistantly follow the same crap road on this forum. You read about 30 seconds worth of words spoken by myself to open up conversation on the lack of professionalism of many pilots and you immediately suggest that I'm a jerk because I can't fill your grandpa's shoes? Great job.

As to my being arrogant. I don't feel that I have a feeling of self-worth above and beyond what is normal. I just disagree with the tact that many have.

I apologize for the vitriol, but not the message. I could (but wouldn't) have delivered more tactfully.

Let's also grant out a few other facts: Yes, you couldn't possibly fill my grandfather's shoes. A hard-core Irish Catholic drinking flyboy: You would dam(n) him on many fronts immediately.

You remain a poseur, or a hypocrite, or a snob. The moral tradition of ethics is religion based- there are better standards of merit without invoking the deity of your choice. You do hold yourself high above the rest of us- and you make a smug flame-bait post to somehow illustrate that you (being as good a person you are) should make more than these peanut-gallery pilots with their low-brow humor and slacker principles.

Good job.

I suggest you are a jerk because the shoe fits. Jerk? Smug arse hole.

FishandFly said:
. My confusion is why this dilema exists in the first place and what I can do to lead us to the path of those true professionals who take pride in what they do.

The fact that you think you CAN do something to "lead us to the path" is frightening in itself.

Zealots in ANY form are the most dangerous creatures walking the face of the Earth. It matters not their crusade.

You sir, are dangerous. Please refrain from trying to "change" me.

The reason pilots are being paid less is that management has figured out that they can play us off against one another as never before.

They're doing a good job of it, too.

Alex, I assume you feel that the customer has nothing to do with anything going on in the market place?

Not at all. I'ts too big and complex an issue to boil down to a few sentences and of course the market forces play a primary role. However, in the narrow context of my statement, it cannot be denied that the pilot groups are being played off against each other with increasing regularity. It is a tactic as old as labor, but it is accelerating because due to other influences (such as pricing pressure) it has become a more effective tactic.

Problem is: ABC airlines, for example, is told to take a pay cuts or the jets go to XYZ. ABC buckles, then despises XYZ for undercutting when it was the management who pitted the groups against each other in the first place.

As long as the separate pilot groups are fighting amongst themselves, they will be holding their own way of life down. I am not dreaming of $250/hr to fly an Embraer, but I see QOL declining in response to management's actions. It will not be until the pilot groups are working together that the teeth of the whipsaw will be blunted. I realize I am living in a perfect world here, but when I witness the angst between the groups I cannot help but grind my teeth in frustration that management so effectively plays us off against one another and we direct our anger inward instead of taking concerted action to hold against the real adversary.

It's not Mesa's fault; it's all of ours for being blind to the real threat.

Sig said:
I apologize for the vitriol, but not the message. I could (but wouldn't) have delivered more tactfully.

Let's also grant out a few other facts: Yes, you couldn't possibly fill my grandfather's shoes. A hard-core Irish Catholic drinking flyboy: You would dam(n) him on many fronts immediately.

You remain a poseur, or a hypocrite, or a snob. The moral tradition of ethics is religion based- there are better standards of merit without invoking the deity of your choice. You do hold yourself high above the rest of us- and you make a smug flame-bait post to somehow illustrate that you (being as good a person you are) should make more than these peanut-gallery pilots with their low-brow humor and slacker principles.

Good job.

I suggest you are a jerk because the shoe fits. Jerk? Smug arse hole.

Vitriol aside, I was referring to you, not your petty insults.

This thread was not planted as flamebait. You made it that, or attempted to bait me by immediately bringing grandpa into mix. You suggest that I am a poseur, hypocrite snobby smug arse hole? You are certainly not good at fitting shoes.

You have turned this into a worthless conversation at high school level.

Yank McCobb said:
The fact that you think you CAN do something to "lead us to the path" is frightening in itself.
Yank McCobb said:

Zealots in ANY form are the most dangerous creatures walking the face of the Earth. It matters not their crusade.

You sir, are dangerous. Please refrain from trying to "change" me.

Youths follow examples of their elders. They come here to learn about aviation and wind up following conversations of people who act exceptionally unprofessional. If you don't see this or don't agree, then I assume you are not reading the same threads I have come upon.

My original point stands. Pilot's acting like idiots in this forum is not good for aviation. I understand it is where everyone rants, but there is a point where a person becomes directly unprofessional. (See previous post)

A number of people think I'm the one in the wrong for suggesting that the bar should be raised. I would expect nothing less.

The ones I wish to change or impress upon are the ones who have just clicked on to flightinfo and wonder why a good number of the threads mimic the attitude, professionalism, and tact that they see while on a smoking break working at the local burger king.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back