Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is this forum the reason pilots are getting paid less?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
no college degree required at Burger King

Last edited:
FishandFly said:
While morality is religion based, I don't think it is so much to ask.

So, you're saying that if a guy isn't religious, it's moral to be a child molester or are you saying that if it's for religious reasons, it's ok for a Muslim to behead a Jew or Christian?

I'm not following you here Jeeves.

Axel said:
Not at all. I'ts too big and complex an issue to boil down to a few sentences and of course the market forces play a primary role. However, in the narrow context of my statement, it cannot be denied that the pilot groups are being played off against each other with increasing regularity. It is a tactic as old as labor, but it is accelerating because due to other influences (such as pricing pressure) it has become a more effective tactic.

Problem is: ABC airlines, for example, is told to take a pay cuts or the jets go to XYZ. ABC buckles, then despises XYZ for undercutting when it was the management who pitted the groups against each other in the first place.

As long as the separate pilot groups are fighting amongst themselves, they will be holding their own way of life down. I am not dreaming of $250/hr to fly an Embraer, but I see QOL declining in response to management's actions. It will not be until the pilot groups are working together that the teeth of the whipsaw will be blunted. I realize I am living in a perfect world here, but when I witness the angst between the groups I cannot help but grind my teeth in frustration that management so effectively plays us off against one another and we direct our anger inward instead of taking concerted action to hold against the real adversary.

It's not Mesa's fault; it's all of ours for being blind to the real threat.

Agreed! Except, the problem is not too big and complex to be resolved.

Pilots not the problem. Actually together, they are the solution.

Willingness to accept lower wages is a chronic and inevitable symptom, not the problem.

The follow on statement is how do we remedy this problem. Solution remains what it always has been. The F'n union. Hate it or love it, it is the only solution to our problems. And now more than ever, given this anti-labor, pro-business government and the plethora of whip-sawable airlines.

Lower wages will never be resolved by pointing out that the damn pilots accept lower wages, because individual pilots will always accept lower wages, but unified together into a strong and well-organized and well-run union, then we can and have fought for more.

How do you think pilot wages ever got to be respectable? Unionized pilots.

Stop bickering and learn unity.

"Unity" does not mean uniformity, that I must agree with everything you do/think, only that I will stand together with you for the betterment of our diverse group.

FishandFly said:
While morality is religion based...

Quite the problem as it turns out!

How you liking that morality of those 9/11 religious extremists?

Relying on religion for morality is a terrible mistake, as any review of history proves.

Morality only requires a mastery of reason and logic. Back in the day when there was little education, maybe religion based morality was a good idea since religion was about the only educational show in town. Today however, as a civilized society, we need to reclaim morality from religion.

The idea that I need a god to help me distinquish between right and wrong... is wrong. And worse yet, problematic for a healthy society.

The time to follow/do what the church wants is over, and hopefully and unfortunately 9/11 made that painfully clear.

FN FAL said:
I'm not following you here Jeeves.

And furthermore, it's taking you 8 months not to follow him! ;)

Actually, this is a pretty funny thread; I missed it the first time around.

SkyBoy1981 said:
I doubt it, but it could be the reason pilots are getting laid less.

Excellent, but heretofore unacknowledged, observation.

Props to Sig too, very entertaining.

Before I caught the date, I though Yank was back. I miss Yank.

ReverseSensing said:
And furthermore, it's taking you 8 months not to follow him! ;)

Actually, this is a pretty funny thread; I missed it the first time around.
Same here, the laptop thread was interesting as well.

Where is best pilot when you need him??
Some jive would fit in perfectly with this thread!
Lay it on them best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) :)

FishandFly said:
Any chance that there is a relationship between pay-scales and the maturity/morality of some pilots on this board?

I'm sure the moderators can not sreen members based on their stupidity levels, but if this is representative of where aviation is going we're screwed.

Welcome to the pros and cons of being and posting "anonymously"

Latest resources

Back