Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is this forum the reason pilots are getting paid less?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is funny as I read the posts on this board and I compare them to stories pilots have written about their careers in the 30's, 40's and 50's. I see the same things, rotten starting pay, QOL issues, how hard it is to get a flying job, slave to senority system, companies going out of business, etc. As much as people might think this is all new, some things do not change.

FishandFly said:
While I agree that the internet is a venue for people to voice their opinions I do not agree that it has always been like this. I may be the eternal optimist, but I believe that there was a time prior to my arriving that was filled with people who loved to fly and acted on a different level than is commonplace today.

F & F,

I still say people are the same creatures they've always been ( allowing for minor differences generated by transient personal/social influences ). We just didn't get a look at them until there was a way for them to show who they really are.

As for what this forum was like before I got here, some of the more senior members will have to comment...I wasn't here before I got here ( and feel free to quote me on that !! ). It's still a pretty interesting phenomenon, though.

Sig,

The wages are what they are because people will accept them at that level ? Sorry to say, you're right. What to do about it ? Dunno...way above my pay grade.

The reason pilots are getting paid less is that pilots will accept less pay.

I'll bet you if the Regionals lowered their F/O requirements to 250/5 they would be able to fill the seats with people who would do the job for free.

It is the same reason that so many businesses/restaurants etc. have such poor quality. The consumers still run like lemmings to them and foster the sales of their half-ass products.

The quality of all of it will continue to go down......down......down.......down......until people have had enough. Then and ONLY then will change be instituted.

Pilots are the reason the wages/benefits are where they are. Management and the companies themselves have nothing to do with it.

I do not agree I will bet most pilots are close to the $100K/yr mark 10 yrs after their first 135/121 job. That is not a bad number compared to the rest of the US population doing a job that does not require a college degree.

Sig said:
Fish:

The thing about your post that irritates me more than the word "morality" is the fact that you are speaking of pilots in the third person. It means one of two things:

A) You are not a pilot; or
2) You think you're above the rabble on this board.

Re-read my first post. It was a jab at you.

The very title of this thread is a joke! "What one thing is the cause of low pilot wages?? Hmm... I know! That durned forum! Praise Jesus, and thank Him for making me the insightful question-asker that I am."

Go out there and fight for higher wages, oh champeen! Show us all how to take the high road in all things, including a faceless forum where people vent, share information and stories (Duke Elegant!!), and just jibjab about the usual BS that goes along with this insane profession.

I can't stand arrogant pilots who thump their chest about whom they are and what they do, but I REALLLLLLLYYYYYY can't stand an arrogant wannabe. You're one of the two, but I suspect both.

Want to know why wages are what they are? Because we work for them. Plane (HAH) and simple. Everything else is window dressing, so I'll say it again: Wages are at their current levels because we're willing to work for them... not because of a forum and the antics therein. It is not a symptom, there is no causality between this forum and wages, and it certainly isn't a question of "morality."

I have an early show to make now, so I'll end this rant here.

Sig,
Yes, I realized that it was a jab. I didn't think it was worth responding to as you simply suggested that I was more of a jerk because I couldn't fill previous pilot's shoes.

I would have thought that fact would have gone without saying. A lot of previous and current pilots have had big shoes. I'm not attempting to match up.

Secondly,
While morality is religion based, I don't think it is so much to ask.

Third,
I appreciate your opinion. It supports the kind of lack of professionalism that I talk about.

You, just like a number of other forum members consistantly follow the same crap road on this forum. You read about 30 seconds worth of words spoken by myself to open up conversation on the lack of professionalism of many pilots and you immediately suggest that I'm a jerk because I can't fill your grandpa's shoes? Great job.

As to my being arrogant. I don't feel that I have a feeling of self-worth above and beyond what is normal. I just disagree with the tact that many have.

Isn't nice not be responsible for anything you say because you hide behind false names.

Interesting thread.

I think relating it to pilot pay is a bit of a stretch, but not too much. There is a lot of evidence on this forum to show that pilots are, over time, becoming less able to hold themselves in high enough esteem to defend the profession.

The old AVSIG forum was a completely different animal, and much better.

This place often.....not always......but often degrades to nothing more than a sewer for the immature mind to take a dump in. Obviously, anonymity has its pros and cons.

BeCareful! said:
This place often.....not always......but often degrades to nothing more than a sewer for the immature mind to take a dump in.

lol....I'm sure Mark will want to use that as his signature from now on.

See what I'm referring to in my other post. You "accept" this fact (if it is indeed fact) but continue to come here. If you don't like it as it is, then 'refuse' to participate until it is up to your standards or better yet....take the initiative and do something about it. Thanks for making my point.

Personally I have no desire to remain anonymous. I'd love to see a thread with pictures of everyone, but even if one were created and inline images allowed I doubt a lot of you would participate.

Last edited:
So True, Obi Wan.

If the majority of the 'posters' on this site would spend just half.....Oh Never Mind..Didn't want to sound like some of the holierthanthou A**holes that have nothing better to do than sit in front of their computer. Yes, I know that is not how you spell holie.....but that seems to be the big concern - more than substance.

Armageddon it!

So, are we gonna start bashing a regional airline or not?

In all seriousness, though, I would also like to add at least 3 cents to this thread:

DONT TAKE EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING SAID, DISCUSSED OR BASHED ON FLIGHTINFO TOO SERIOUSLY

Too many lameheads found this board to make fun of other people so that they can feel superior, poop on them.

<I am hidding behind my annunu...annony...anunomi...a fark, I am hiding behind a false identity>

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back