Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is there really a shortage of Mechanics too?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wuberoo

Is there really a shortage of airline mechanics too? Also, what is the typical payscale for a mechanic?

Is there really a shortage of airline mechanics too? Also, what is the typical payscale for a mechanic?

Many airlines are contracting out their maintenance in-order to cut costs, I have no Idea what the current payscales are because I never once considering working for an airline as a AMT because there are too many other industries that pay better. Examples manufacturing, shipbuilding, railroads, high-end automobiles.

He is probably referring to the mythical pilot shortage, which has never existed.

Finding work as a mechanic is generally easier than finding work as a pilot.

Good mechanics are always in demand.

Of course, pilots don't need to maintain their own fifty thousand dollar tool set, and don't have the liability or equivalent training of the mechanic, yet make considerably more than most mechanics, on the whole.

There is no shortage of pilots, nor a shortage of mechanics. There is always a need for good examples, however, of either set. Pilots tend to be a dime a dozen. Mechanics, perhaps two bits a dozen, but still common and certainly there is no shortage.

He is probably referring to the mythical pilot shortage, which has never existed.

Finding work as a mechanic is generally easier than finding work as a pilot.

Good mechanics are always in demand.

Of course, pilots don't need to maintain their own fifty thousand dollar tool set, and don't have the liability or equivalent training of the mechanic, yet make considerably more than most mechanics, on the whole.

There is no shortage of pilots, nor a shortage of mechanics. There is always a need for good examples, however, of either set. Pilots tend to be a dime a dozen. Mechanics, perhaps two bits a dozen, but still common and certainly there is no shortage.

Mechanics are able to transfer their skills successfully into other or any fields of trouble shooting, changing parts/components, and repairing as many industries have proven when its time to recruit applicants from trade schools or colleges. Moral of the story is make yourself versatile!

The only industry I know of that cares anything about piloting skills is the aviation industry, unfortunately non-aviation industries could care less about those skills because they measure candidates for those jobs on a completely different scale whereas they consider pilots over qualified even if those positions pay more than a pilot position.

Agreed with the gist of other posts: There is no real "shortage" but a good mechanic will always find himself employed. My airline hired me as a mechanic the day after I was furloughed as a pilot. When I got recalled to flying, my boss made it clear the door was still open for me. Most of the mechanics we're hiring are fresh out of A&P school; that I came into the job with a working knowledge of the jet and a strong work ethic made me stand out. If you have experience... any experience... you're good to go as a regional airline mechanic. As for majors, I donnno

As far as contracting work out, my airline contracts out for C-Checks and the occasional fleetwide AD that puts a temporary rush on maintenance. There's still plenty of work done by company mechanics.

And 50,000 tool kits? SRSLY? Are you buying a Snap-On aircraft carrier to house your tools in or something?

It seems that the pattern of regional airline mechanics are fairly risky. They are all based on contracts and I have met soo many that have moved every 3 years and risked layoff's. (I was recently laid off) The mainline route is typically the safest route and regionals tend to be a stepping stone to the majors. However, this doesnt mean job securtiy. Major airlines also have huge seniority lists and layoffs could come even after 5 years. Not to mention being at the bottom of the todem pole can mean you work graveyard shifts for years to come.

As far as tools go.. I think the Chinese tools (Harbor Frieght, Northern Tool) are getting better and cheaper. I buy the typical brands of Gear Wrench and Cobalt. Even though they are about 75% cheaper than Snap-On they not 75% less awesome.

There's definatly not a shortage in the Midwest with United and ATA pulling the plug in Indianapolis putting 2,500+ out of work, and then there's Delta reducing the Cincinatti hub to a ghost town in one concourse. USAir pulling out of Pittsburgh took 1,000 mechs out of work.

Next Midwest city to take a hit... Cleveland; with the proposed merger of UAL and Continental theres no longer a need for CLE when they have Chicago nearby.

I've been at RJET for the past 7 yrs. I've had to relocate one time due to base closure because your flights are at the mercy of your contract carrier you are flying for. The pay is not great but not bad. The pay definatly beats the MROs around here. Expect 15% - 25% better pay then regionals if you are lucky enough to be hired by a major.

And 50,000 tool kits? SRSLY? Are you buying a Snap-On aircraft carrier to house your tools in or something?

I use craftsman for roll-a-ways. I have seven. Fifty thousand on tools is easy to spend on tools, especially after several decades of buying them, and working on airplanes.

I've spent seven hundred fifty on a single wrench set, and yes, I do use Mac and Snap-on, along with Craftsman and other good tools.

30 to 50 grand is probably a good average for most mechanics. Add a speciality like say metal work and it could go up real fast. I do a bunch of Dope and Fabric and I bet I have over 3 grand in tools that I only use for that.

Latest resources

Back