Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is there hope for private aviation while Obama remains in office?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

gret

I’m certain this will bore most to tears and don’t really want to debate politics…although I’m sure it will happen.

We’re still down 15% to 20% in flight hours from the highs of 2007 and find it difficult to believe that hours will increase until we have a major economic recovery. Hours mean demand and it is hard to see where this demand will come from…which in turn means a stagnant industry that produces very few new jobs and hinders increases in compensation levels.

Being sour on the state of the economy and placing the blame squarely on the lack of leadership by business executives and our elected officials in Washington, I don't see any reason to be optimistic. We need some heroes that will drive confidence and get us on the right track…but it looks like they all have ridden off into the sunset and I don’t see any new ones coming up the ranks.

Obama is a big part of the problem, in my opinion, but that doesn’t excuse others from stepping forward and doing something. Whatever your politics are, the dysfunction in Washington today is real and has to be resolved…to me that means the President has to find a way to build a coalition that will benefit the country, not a political party. Sadly, I don’t see this happening and calling out Republicans every chance you have will not help get the problems fixed. This is the biggest roadblock we face in addressing our economic issues....but then again, what do I know.

Economic bubbles (dot.com and real estate) were great for private aviation…does anyone have a crystal ball to forecast the next one ;)…or hopefully provide a scenario that will generate growth in a sustained manner?

I don’t think these things will work-
  1. more unions
  2. higher compensation for pilots
  3. getting rid of older pilots
  4. increasing bonus deprecation.
  5. switching to Fiji water from Polish Springs

I do believe that improving fuel efficiencies and therefore reducing a big cost component will help. It is silly that we are blowing close to $4K an hours out the tail pipe in fuel and that a reliable and comfortable mid size jet can’t be had for less than $10 million. Technology in every other industry had reduced costs, yet in aviation it only increases…why?

It is part of BO's class warfare, private jets are play things of the rich, therefore the rich have to be punished. But I bet the hours flown by the "Polictical Class" on Gov't airplanes is actually increasing, and it is paid for by everyone.

BO would like to see us move toward the Venezuelian model of equality, where no one has anything except the politician class

Plus Avgas going to $6/gal is killing GA.

I'll get my comment in while I can before our political experts-pundits (of which we have many) chime in.

Yes Obama is not helping, he goes after the "private-jet passenger" every chance he gets. He needs to understand that the GA industry (specially pirvate jets) employ 1.2 million Americans. When he attacks the traveler sitting in the back, he is attacking all of us. I wish he'd tone it down a bit

On Friday Mr. Buffett chided large-corporation CEOs for their whining and lack of confidence in the American economy. He is once again pressing these primaddonas to invest the large hoards of cash they have stashed away. These guys are making record profits and still refuse to invest, grow and hire... WTF over?

Obama didn't advice those 3 dickwads from Detroit to take their G-Vs to D.C... How does it look when you step out of a G-V with a begging bowl in hand? There was a time not too long ago when it was politically incorrect to use a private jet. Obama didn't start that, but he is defiently stiring the pot

Go ahead FOX news enthusiasts, take it away

Last edited:
Mayor Bloomberg will save us ...

Blog: Bloomberg: US has 'infinite amount of money'
19 hours ago ... Bloomberg: US has 'infinite amount of money'. Rick Moran. Sometimes, a comment by a politician is very revealing of their true feelings. Such is ...
www.americanthinker.com/.../bloomberg_us_has_infinite_amount_of_ money.

Remember too much sugar is bad for you ...

Last edited:
Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but... I can't find any evidence of entrepreneurial behavior for either Buffett or Bloomberg. They are making lots of money, however, by trading on the fruits of others who have started companies that provide jobs.

Who are they to chide the true potential job creators for sitting on their cash and waiting for the government to get out of their way?

It is part of BO's class warfare, private jets are play things of the rich, therefore the rich have to be punished. But I bet the hours flown by the "Polictical Class" on Gov't airplanes is actually increasing, and it is paid for by everyone.

BO would like to see us move toward the Venezuelian model of equality, where no one has anything except the politician class

Plus Avgas going to $6/gal is killing GA.

100% agree and it is proven everyday by both the President and Congress.

Case in point...flying to Florida on Air Force One to play golf with Tiger while the wife and kids go to Colorado to ski. What was the cost of this and what image was presented? I know the security issues and believe they are warranted. but this is over the top to me. The trips back and forth to Hawaii always raised red flags...we have a crisis with the fiscal cliff looming and you go surfing? This isn't leadership.

How you can harp about private jets is beyond me.

$85 billion in cuts out of a $3.6 trillion budget is around 2%. Most people I know had to cut back much more than this to survive...yet they use the assets of the Federal Government like it is their own and we're all doing great. Bad for business, good for the Obama family.

Obama didn't advice those 3 dickwads from Detroit to take their G-Vs to D.C... How does it look when you step out of a G-V with a begging bowl in hand? There was a time not too long ago when it was politically incorrect to use a private jet. Obama didn't start that, but he is defiently stiring the pot

I did find it ironic that Obama jumped on a waiting 747 after the first sequestration can-kicking for a ride to Hawaii. The debt crushing this country and our future obligations make the Detroit mess look like a picnic. Seemingly none of that has curtailed Obama's recreation. I guess his prohibition on governmental non-essentail travel doesn't apply to him and his family.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but... I can't find any evidence of entrepreneurial behavior for either Buffett or Bloomberg. They are making lots of money, however, by trading on the fruits of others who have started companies that provide jobs.

Who are they to chide the true potential job creators for sitting on their cash and waiting for the government to get out of their way?

Good point...Buffett, to the best of my knowledge, has never run an operating company...he is an investor and stock picker. Bloomberg does have operating experience, but has been demonstrating traits of a dictator. The soda ban and other directives bear this out. The marathon fiasco is an example of someone completely out of touch.

Bloomberg obviously likes his jet...as does Warren...yet they come out in support of a government that is hell bent on moving to a society where financial achievements must be taken and redistributed. Most support helping those in need, but not those who won't help themselves.

Latest resources

Back