Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is the 'worm turning'? Could SWA finally be going international (Canada)?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am not riled up. I couldn't care less if you or anyone else don't want to work at WN.

It's just that for YEARS now, you bring it up on any thread that even mentions WN (and many that don't), and often completely out of context.

Really, you need some new material! How about bashing code share? Age 65? Cabotage?

One can only conclude that you want desperately to be at WN and are lashing out at those you consider to have what you can't.

Face it....... you really want those nice long LBB or AMA overnights! ;)

I am not interested in international flying and the inherent issues that come with it, and you aren't interested in flying domestic. Sounds like we are both happy to be where we are, so what's the issue? I wouldn't trade places with you, even if the pay scales were identical. My dad flew international for the first 21 years of his career, and went domestic when he finally upgraded. After seeing the marked difference in his demeanor, health and attitude when he stopped the international stuff, I concluded that it might be fun for a while, but not as a long term thing.

I turned down a UAL and DAL interview in my first few years at WN. I have never regretted either, even before 9/11. I can guarantee that the few guys that DID leave WN at that time are now sorry that they did (I have heard of a few FOs ;eaving, but not any Capts FWIW).

You don't see me or any other WN guy jumping on EVERY thread that even mentions DL and berating you for what and where you fly.

So why the constant obsession with WN?

Thanks for that Dr. Phil......???? Only one can conclude WHAT again???? Where did you come up with that? Really.

First of all, I do fly domestic, sometimes. The ATL 767ER category has both. I am senior enough to fly just INTL, but I usually do about 75% INTL, and the remaining 25% domestic. Any open trip is fair game to swap for or pick up, and I usually start out with all INTL trips but give one away to trade for a domestic trip. That gives me the best of both worlds, and plenty of landings. The key here is variety, and that is something that DL has, and SWA does not. While your pay is great, you also know that you will have to WORK for it, and that means plenty of legs per day, which to me is tiring. Even the domestic trips I fly have one or maybe two legs a day max (I try to get 4 leg 4 day trips), which allows me to relax a bit. So do longer layovers, allowing me to sleep and enjoy the layover. Your compact 3 or 4 day trips are stuffed with legs, because that is how your business model works. That is pretty much what you have to look forward to FOREVER. If I wanted to do that, I would bid the MD88, which is another example of variety. Different fleet types do different missions, and your mission is to fly, a lot. That just isn't something most pilots really want to do. I thought the goal was to get paid a lot (which you do) to fly a little. As you get older, you will understand that. I wince if I see more than one leg per day. But, if you like that stuff, good for you. Enjoy it.

How long have you been on this board? I usually bring up LBB or something like that to get a rise out of guys like Gup or Redflyer69, but I usually state that I think SWA's pay is great, the stews are nice, and management is great (so far). There are a lot of things I like about SWA, but I just don't like the flying (legs) or the lack of variety. The people are great (mostly), but some people just don't want to do it. That really irks some people, and it is interesting to watch them become very defensive. I point out some perceived flaws, and I get jumped all over.

So, you enjoy your job, and I will enjoy mine. I am not insanely jealous of SWA pilots. I just like to see them get all bent when someone doesn't want what they have.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Delta Muscles Way to Canada Code-Share
By Ted Reed 03/31/10

ATLANTA (TheStreet) -- Delta may push ahead of Southwest to become the first U.S. carrier to code share with WestJet.

Calgary-based WestJet, a low-fare carrier built on the Southwest model, flies Boeing 737 jets to 69 cities in North American and the Caribbean. On its Web site, it says its goal is "to be one of the five most successful international airlines in the world."

In this regard, a code-share agreement with a U.S. carrier would be beneficial. In July 2008, Southwest and WestJet said they had reached an initial agreement on a code-share deal that would create a cross-border low-fare partnership.

But now CEO Gregg Saretsky said WestJet may code share first with Delta. Delta "has an interest," Saretsky said recently, in an interview with the Financial Post. "They have a capability. We like the Southwest partnership, but they've signaled to us that they're not going to be ready."

Before joining WestJet in June 2009, Saretsky worked at Alaska Airlines, where he led the development of an alliance strategy that included forming an alliance with Delta in 2008.

More recently, Delta and US Airways offered WestJet slots at New York's LaGuardia airport, as the devised slot exchange deal that would offer slots to four of North America's leading low-cost carriers. They excluded Southwest, the largest low-fare carrier.

Since acquiring Northwest to become the world's biggest airline, Delta has not rested on its laurels -- if anything, it has become more competitive. In Asia, it sought to replace American as partner to Japan Air Lines. Now, it is apparently seeking to elbow ahead of Southwest in Canada.
-- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Insanely jealous? Come on now. I just love it when I say that "I wouldn't want what you have except the better pay", and that sends you guys into a tailspin. It's like you all think you can walk on water and have the best situation around. Why again would I want multiple leg days in the same plane forever? I understand that FOR NOW you are the best paid pilots flying 737s. That is FANTASTIC for you, but not going to last forever. When the legacies get their acts together and the government allows labor to prevail (which is happening now with Becker being appointed to the NLRB) more often, legacy pay will go UP. Combine the better pay and more variety in routes, planes, trips, etc----the legacies will attract more pilots again like they did pre-9-11. SWA Captains were leaving for United pre-9-11----regardless of what you guys say---it happened.

You say a hotel is a hotel. That is what most SWA pilots say, since your trips don't allow for 24 hour layovers or as many downtown layovers. All you see is the hotel after your drunk stuper the night before thanks to the 1 2 3 rule. Since you have never experienced a longer, relaxing layover, then I can see why you don't understand. But wait, you may say "I would rather spend my time at home then on the road...." We have duty rigs that give us extra credit time for time away. Most of our 5 day trips to Hawaii are worth close to 30 hours---but only 20 of that is spent flying---a further 8 hours are credit, or free money. A 6 day trip to Europe is worth up to 40 hours with the credit. Do 2 of those a month, have up to 80 hours pay, 18 days off, and see Europe 4 times with nice layovers that have interesting things you CAN'T do in CLE or ISP. In the middle of that trip you fly to JFK, and have a Manhattan layover, which is great because everyone knows a special restaurant that makes their "favorite" meal. Can you see what I am talking about yet? You think a hotel is a hotel, and don't seem to care. (unless you are near your family in ISP) We have favorite places to go to see cool things, eat good food, etc, and not just for 12 hours. But to top it off, even our INTL category has domestic trips. If you do get tired of INTL flying, you can switch it up, fly a 3 or 4 day and see nice places like SAN, MIA, or BOS. It is all about variety, and the pay will come again, it is just a matter or time.

And, I am happy that you are happy with your job at WN. Great. It again amazes me that you guys get so riled up when someone states that he/she would not want what you have. But if you like ISP for your family, then by all means bid it and be happy. In the back of your mind though, you always know that ELP and LBB are somewhere out there, waiting for you. Regardless, you seem like a good guy, and I hope you do enjoy it there. Good luck to you.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Average SWA 4day: 29-30 tfp
Important: Days at home with family
No as much: Days with crew at "special" eateries.

Just had a delta fo on jumpseat who's 5day to South America paid less credits than my 3day, do you think that's good?

Just had a delta fo on jumpseat who's 5day to South America paid less credits than my 3day, do you think that's good?

A 5 day to South America may pay less than 29 or 30 "trips", but about 1000 hot chicks swarm all over you, and you get to sleep all day and lounge around the pool at a very nice hotel (for security reasons). Yeah, I think I would take a 27 hour 5 day trip than your 4 day with more than 20 legs. If I wanted 20 legs on me, I would go to South America. (women BTW) Bad example Whataburger. I bet you and DL pilot are equally exhausted, but for different reasons.

Bye Bye---General Lee

24 hours in xxx...

I'll be back home before you lobby.

Let me guess-----the 1 2 3 rule just kicked in for you in LBB? Are you wasted? A 24 hour layover somewhere downline is like a vacation, whereas you need to drink heavily (apparently) just to try to relax on your 15 leg 3 day. No thanks cowboy. Please sober up before your legs to ABQ, LAS, SJC, SEA, and GEG tomorrow.....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whataburger

A 5 day to South America may pay less than 29 or 30 "trips", but about 1000 hot chicks swarm all over you, and you get to sleep all day and lounge around the pool at a very nice hotel (for security reasons). Yeah, I think I would take a 27 hour 5 day trip than your 4 day with more than 20 legs. If I wanted 20 legs on me, I would go to South America. (women BTW) Bad example Whataburger. I bet you and DL pilot are equally exhausted, but for different reasons.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Now that was a funny one. I have had enough of intra Texas stuff, and I think I want some of that South American flying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whataburger

Bye Bye---General Lee

Now that was a funny one. I have had enough of intra Texas stuff, and I think I want some of that South American flying.

Not every trip is like that, but for single guys or frustrated guys, S America can be a lot of fun. It's even fun just to watch. Sure beats ELP and AMA 4 times in a 4 day trip.

Bye Bye--General LEe

Bye Bye---General Lee

I know your instigating, oops I mean debating, right now but I'll bite.

It paid less than 25 "trips." I said "my 3 day paid more than his 5 day." Not 4 day. My trip had 6 legs.
I don't need 1000 hot women, or I'll end up divorced like 75% of the other pilots.
I prefer to play "sidewalk chalk" and "Go Fish" all day vs. lounging in a pool in SA.
I am happy you love your job and it's bennies. That is what's great about airlines; you found your match and I found mine.
I wonder if there has ever been an airline pilot that has said at the end of his career that he spent too much time at home?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back