Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is the Southwest pay/contract sustainable at current market?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ahhh. The stink of the Delta bankruptcy. It just never really goes away. It's still in the air.

Let's hope you are not next. I think we will see you charge for bags before that happens, though. (like AT does) Good luck!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Oh I believe this one in THIS thread is full of substance and facts:

NEXT!!!!!!!!

Read your top line again? You sound drunk.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Let's hope you are not next. I think we will see you charge for bags before that happens, though. (like AT does) Good luck!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Next? Your Mom must have put something in your midnight brownies General.

41 years of profits. We own around 75% of our airframes. Billions in the bank. You think we are close?

41 years of profits. We own around 75% of our airframes. Billions in the bank. You think we are close?

I hope you never have to go there, but you never know. GK sure hasn't been upbeat lately. And, your Mom actually gave me brownies. I told her it was inappropriate, and to leave, now.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I believe you are going to see a campaign from management, claiming serious concerns about making a yearly profit for 2013. And I think it is a legitimate claim/concern. What I believe is the root cause of what will be a tough 2013 and 2014 will be the integration of the route structure between AT and SWA. Currently there is a disclaimer on the AT website that tickets are only being sold as far out as May 2013. They aren't telegraphing what the transition routes will look like this summer, and I'll bet a cold beer that they are still trying to figure out how to shrink AT, without losing a ton of money. I can only imagine the trepidation management feels towards implementing a new reservation system. I hope the first AIP from the SWAPA section 6 negotiations isn't complete until 2015 and we are on the backside of the transition. I think they are going to lose some synergy revenue before they fully achieve what they want from merging operations.

Last edited:
41 years of profits. We own around 75% of our airframes.

Just food for thought, but owning your airframes can go from being great for the bottom line to terrible once they become inefficient or old. A few hundred old 737 that no one wants and have to be replaced to compete with Neo's and next Gen aircraft can be a huge liability.

I believe you are going to see a campaign from management, claiming serious concerns about making a yearly profit for 2013. And I think it is a legitimate claim/concern. What I believe is the root cause of what will be a tough 2013 and 2014 will be the integration of the route structure between AT and SWA. Currently there is a disclaimer on the AT website that tickets are only being sold as far out as May 2013. They aren't telegraphing what the transition routes will look like this summer, and I'll bet a cold beer that they are still trying to figure out how to shrink AT, without losing a ton of money. I can only imagine the trepidation management feels to wards implementing a new reservation system. I hope the first AIP from the SWAPA section 6 negotiations isn't complete until 2015 and we are on the backside of the transition. I think they are going to lose some synergy revenue before they fully achieve what they want from merging operations.
Good points but preaching to the choir. We banged the drum, yelled from the tallest buildings. Shame CEO's don't listen to the folks who actually make the money for them and shareholders.

Good points but preaching to the choir.

I'm sure I am. Just be sure to tell Gary and company that when he bought an airline, leased a majority of their aircraft to their biggest competitor and then asked for concessions to pay for their self created mess; that Humvee and the rest of the AT brothers told him to suck it (with a big fat no vote).

Dude, get in line, we told em the day the announcment was made. This CEO will not be allowed to writeoff this pruchase on the backs of the very employees he claims to value. ******************** him.

Yeah...too bad SWA has had to compete with the bankruptcy laws instead o0f allowing business Darwinism to take place. I love these guys at DL, etc who are so proud of being so profitable, which would be something to be legitably proud of had DL and others not screwed debt holders, shred contracts, shred retirements, laid off thousands, quit making paymnets on airplanes.

Run a place into the ground and then get a free do over. Nice way to run a business. And other well run businesses have to compete with that. Yeah, that's fair.

Latest resources

Back