Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is the Southwest pay/contract sustainable at current market?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I didn't say they did.

But I bet you over 50% of us have a B.S. degree of some kind (I have one in INFS as well as Aviation), and if you're going to do a salary comparison, do it with other degreed professionals. Don't use the McDonald's worker.

Apples to Apples, my friend. Not Apples to rotted lemon. ;)

The average FO at SWA makes $140k/year. Where does that put you in the list of BS degrees? Certainly not at 60%. My Uncles a 60 year old engineer at Cisco and makes $130K year. I wonder how that compares to the average 60 year old major airline pilot?

Last edited:
The average FO at SWA makes $140k/year. Where does that put you in the list of BS degrees? Certainly not at 60%.
I'm not at SWA (yet). ;)

I'm also talking about the overall industry at the Major/Legacy level, most of which are in bankruptcy-era contracts. SWA is at the TOP of the spectrum for their equipment, but you know that.

Until the INDUSTRY AVERAGE comes up to where ALL the Majors/Legacies are at that $120k-140k for F/O's, AND until the Regional F/O's starting salary is above the POVERTY LINE, AND until the industry overall KEEPS UP WITH INFLATION...

then No, I'd say we are NOT compensated appropriately, given the level of training and commitment just to OBTAIN the career and the responsibilities that accompany it. is it difficult? When everything is going smoothly? More than the average McDonald's or Walmart worker, yes. When everything goes to hell in a handbasket?

Ask Sully.

Or ask any number of guys who have had real in-flight emergencies where the crew and passengers mostly survived due to flying skills and decision making but the aircraft didn't due to the severity of the emergency.

Or the crews who didn't survive but most (or all) of the passengers did.

This isn't a minimum wage or office clerical job and should never be compared to such. Cardio or Ortho surgeon? No. But I never suggested we should be making $600k a year plus...

Last edited:
How about you compare our income to people who graduated college. Here's your sign::beer:
You quoted the high end of college grads, people who take demanding courses that produce skills that are in demand in the marketplace. How many college grads with degrees in Art, French Histroy, or Photography are making anying close to those wages. The 10% was all people in the US average individual income. BTW Remember pilots do not need a college degree to make 6 figures, I know too many who are at that level without the perfection of the four year degree

SWA pilots are well paid but we work hard and are efficient...the pay is sustainable as long as we stay efficient...

efficiency stopped being a swa model a few years ago. Pt to Pt: less than 60% of flights today exists as point to point. Highest plane per pilot ratio, sliding block hr to pilot ratio, etc...

You quoted the high end of college grads,
No, I didn't.

YOU compared the piloting profession to the ENTIRE U.S. population in terms of income, stating that we were in the "Top 10% of income earners", which also includes people on Welfare and those who never graduated High School flipping burgers and doing oil changes at Jiffy Lube.

I simply compared us to OTHER PROFESSIONALS, which includes people with College Degrees. I also took an average of $100k a year (which includes all the Regional folk as well as Major/Legacy folk) and compared it to those B.S. degrees. The low was $40k. The top was closer to $160k. Take each degree, the "Low" on each one, add them together, then divide by the number of categories, and you come up with an "Average Low". Then take each degree, the "High" on each one, add them together, then divide by the number of categories, and you come up with an "Average High".

Then put our average $100k on that scale and see where you come in at. Top 45-40%, not top 10% (or, to put it more succinctly, almost dead smack "average" in comparison to B.S. degree professionals who get to be home every night and don't have the risk we do in terms of jeopardy training events every 6 months or possible in-flight emergencies).

By the way, that's called "Statistics 101" for those of you keeping Collegiate score. ;)

people who take demanding courses that produce skills that are in demand in the marketplace.
Ah, now we get to the crux of the matter.

People are talking about the coming hiring boom, when our skills WILL be in demand in the market place once again, rather than an over-supply of pilots. I expect that pay scale to get back to the top 10% of B.S. degree wage earners and then I'll stop kvetching about it.

Come on, you can admit it... comparing us to burger flippers and stating we were in the top 10% of wage earners and, therefore, shouldn't be complaining about wanting more is just a bad, bad argument. :D

Last edited:
Then put our average $100k on that scale and see where you come in at. Top 45-40%, not top 10% (or, to put it more succinctly, almost dead smack "average" in comparison to B.S. degree professionals who get to be home every night and don't have the risk we do in terms of jeopardy training events every 6 months or possible in-flight emergencies).
Jeopardy training event? Lol. I wonder what the stats show as to major airline pilots "failing" these events and subsequently losing their job. I have never heard of a single person ever failing and losing a job.
Many more of my engineering, non pilot buds have more unstable jobs than those who are pilots.

Jeopardy training event? Lol. I wonder what the stats show as to major airline pilots "failing" these events and subsequently losing their job. I have never heard of a single person ever failing and losing a job.
Many more of my engineering, non pilot buds have more unstable jobs than those who are pilots.

Buds? Riiiiiiight.... LOL.......What does your cell mate say? Does he call you BEN? You bet he does. Enjoy!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back