Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is SWA trying to purchase ATAs operating certificate without the ATA pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It sounds like the FAA wants someone to purchase ATA as a whole to get the LGA slots. I would assume this means assets and liabilities. I guess it is a lot more than the operating certificate.

Is this the ALPA agreement that reportedly "gave away" your successorship language? Funny how it was titled "ALPA secures cash, jobs for former ATA crewmembers". Seems like a misnomer to me.

"We believe this agreement is the best choice for many ATA families who are still struggling to pay bills and rebuild lives shattered by overwhelming corporate greed,” said former ATA First Officer Don Wurster, who serves as ALPA’s custodian for the ATA cockpit crewmember group."

http://www.skycontrol.net/organisations/alpa-secures-cash-jobs-for-former-ata-crewmembers/

Sadly, yes. ALPO sucks, it is that simple. Look what ALPO did for (to) the TWA pilots when aa/apa came knocking at the door.

Sorry that the screw job continues.

I think most SWA guys agree the ATA guys got - and continue to get - a raw deal.

I wish we could do more to help.

I was wondering how long this would take, I mean, how long till some of the out of work/fired ATA guys sue SWA and SWAPA... Seems like you might have a cause with the new legislation. Of course, SWA will say they don't need bodies, and in fact has plenty, to the point of overmanning, and, hey wait a minute, it was the plan all along!

No really, this sucks guys, sorry.

Well if the plan was to give our jobs and growth away and piss off the pilot group - it's working like a charm.

Gup

Do not forget Midwest Express. Another ALPA carrier getting royally screwed.

M

I know the gates in Charlotte were sold to Air Tran, What happened the the DCA (Washington National) Slots and the gates elsewhere? Theres got to be more assets than the Slots in LGA. And if another Airline Bought the "Assets" what would prevent them from taking the "Meat" (Slots and Gates) and selling the "Bones" (Certificate). You wouldn't think there was any idiot right now who would want a certificate to start an Airline BUT their probably is.

Had many friends at ATA who lost jobs, Many still out of work or out of flying, they got a raw deal.

KBB

What happened the the DCA (Washington National) Slots and the gates elsewhere?
KBB

I read in one article that SWA actually paid a bit more for the DCA slots to be dropped out of the "package." We apparently wanted nothing to do with them, and it cost us some money to let the DC slots go alone.

They should start up a military charter business....

I know the gates in Charlotte were sold to Air Tran, What happened the the DCA (Washington National) Slots and the gates elsewhere? Theres got to be more assets than the Slots in LGA. And if another Airline Bought the "Assets" what would prevent them from taking the "Meat" (Slots and Gates) and selling the "Bones" (Certificate). You wouldn't think there was any idiot right now who would want a certificate to start an Airline BUT their probably is.

Had many friends at ATA who lost jobs, Many still out of work or out of flying, they got a raw deal.

KBB

It seems to me that ATA operated quite a while doing military charters, it was only when they decided to get into 121 ops that their fortunes turned radically different. Maybe they should start up a military charter outfit with their certificate.....

It seems to me that ATA operated quite a while doing military charters, it was only when they decided to get into 121 ops that their fortunes turned radically different. Maybe they should start up a military charter outfit with their certificate.....

Not quite accurate. They were bigger than SWA at Midway for sometime. Terrible decisions over the last 5 years is what did them in.

Latest resources

Back