Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is SWA trying to purchase ATAs operating certificate without the ATA pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Beetle007

"FAA said Oct. 31 that it would allocate ATA Airlines’ 14 New York LaGuardia slots to any air carrier that acquires the airline’s business as a whole , which might boost ATA’s efforts to find a buyer"

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story.jsp?id=news/ATA110308.xml&headline=Certain%20ATA%20Bidders%20Could%20Keep%20LGA%20Slots&channel=comm

Unfortunately, the same thing will probably happen to the ATA pilots (ALPA) that happened to the Independence pilots (ALPA). Remember that when NWA wanted to start Compass they purchased the Independence operating certificate, headquarters, and continued to operate an Independence CRJ with Independence management pilots to keep the certificate alive. They even kept the Independence FAA required management positions. Why did ALPA not fight to bring the pilots with the airline (from Independence to Compass)?

I think this is a wake up call to all pilot groups that they need to revise their union contracts to reflect better successorship language. All union contracts should make it clear that purchasing the operating certificate is automatically considered a purchase of the airline for purposes of acquiring the pilot group. Obviously this should be just one of many situations that trigger acquisition of a pilot group.

We are in a world where most airplanes, gates, and other assets are leased. So the fact that SWA does not want the ATA airplanes is irrelevant. If SWA wants the ATA operating certificate, they should be required to take the ATA pilots!

The geniuses that comprised our MEC structure, one of which was appointed ALPA Custodian in bankruptcy, were not intelligent enough to see this coming. ( Even though most of the ATA Pilot Group did. )

We had full rights to any succesorship. SWA and other financial entities were waiting in the wings while they smooth talked these fools into signing away everything.

The Custodian signed away ALL contractual rights ( The entire ALPA Contract was thrown out the window) and signed an agreement to secure pennies on the dollar against unpaid Vacation, Warn Act Federal Monies , etc., etc.

We had some real intellect at ATA.

YKMKR

Last edited:
The Custodian signed away ALL contractual rights ( The entire ALPA Contract was thrown out the window) and signed an agreement to secure pennies on the dollar against unpaid Vacation, Warn Act Federal Monies , etc., etc.

I am speechless. ALPA national should have stopped that BS.

I don't think one member should ever be allowed to throw out the pilot contract. I would try to find a lawyer that could argue the custodian wasn't legally allowed to throw out the contract. Just like in divorces where pre-nups are thrown out because they give away rights that can't be given away.

Where is this genius ALPA bankruptcy custodian working now?

Is this the ALPA agreement that reportedly "gave away" your successorship language? Funny how it was titled "ALPA secures cash, jobs for former ATA crewmembers". Seems like a misnomer to me.

"We believe this agreement is the best choice for many ATA families who are still struggling to pay bills and rebuild lives shattered by overwhelming corporate greed,” said former ATA First Officer Don Wurster, who serves as ALPA’s custodian for the ATA cockpit crewmember group."

http://www.skycontrol.net/organisations/alpa-secures-cash-jobs-for-former-ata-crewmembers/

He was a two faced, sneaky brown nosing little bastard when he was on the MEC and he finished with this. He always seemed to side with the person who "had the power" at the time and then stab them in the back when that power changed hands. Now, the ultimate screw job to the ATA pilots. Nice job Don! Karma dude! Funny thing, he doesn't have 1000 Turbine PIC so he's not even eligible to work for Southwest.

Enjoy your holidays.

I am really surprised that the ticket is still active. Has ATA been running a flight every few days to keep it active?

I am not sure that even one flight in 90 days is required. An operating certificate is usually worth $1-2 million to someone wishing to start an airline.

Latest resources

Back