• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flew with with one of our Regional chief pilots a few weeks ago. He confirmed,

1 class in Aug and Sept
3 classes a month Oct, Nov, Dec. 600+ possible in 06

Also,

electronic flight bag comming online sooner rather than later. (manufacturer of our OPC in discontinuing the product thus expediting the electronic flight bag for us)

Possibility of wingletts on the -300's. (fuel mizer project didn't produce results inline with expectations. wingletts might, but much larger undertaking on the -300 than the -700's. Structural issues with the wing I believe)

probably not going to grow at a rate faster than the traditional 10% per year until fuel stabalizes and we see where we are in the industry mix.

Upper management has a gut feeling the at least one carrier will be gone by years end and possibly two. Lots of opportunities if this occurs. This is the reason we are being extra conservative now so we are in a good position to seize all opportunities down the road.

Headquarters feels like the Wright ammendment will be gone or compromised on (limited longhaul flights in the begining and phased out completely with time) by the end of the year.

"Upper management has a gut feeling the at least one carrier will be gone by years end and possibly two......"

Did Management give any hint as to which carrier(s) might be gone? Personally, I'm hoping that UAL and DAL go under. The quicker the better.

Brandt,

I didn't call you a looser. Maybe they just don't like bagels.

Keep the faith.

Jon

Gents, I really appreciate all the help and info. I'm really glad to hear that the digital signature was a recent addition.

I have no speeding tickets, no 4 year degree (doh), and no "yes" answers to any of the "have you ever..." questions. But.. and this is a big butt...I did leave the flying game for about five years. I've been back flying the line full time for five years, but I have a feeling that's the main reason they're not calling. I'll try updating every week and see how that goes.

Jon, yours was the most polite of all the emails I got from guys getting interviews. Also the fewest words. I think there were ten...;) Best of luck, Jon, I'm sure pulling for ya!

Thanks again everyone. :)

I know someone who was a RJ FO, knew no one @ SWA, had no type, got called for Sept 2001 interview, interview cancelled due to 9/11, then when they started calling again they reinstated the type requirement to interview. After some time went by, they dropped that requirement, he got the type, is a captain now with plenty of time, and still cannot get called!

WTF?

My new philosophy is not to wait on SWA. You get so tied up in the LUV chanting at the type schools that you think it has to happen soon, and for many, it does not.

Who knows how the winds blow over there. I'm coming up on a year since type as well, with no call. But I don't have a four year (working on it), so that is probably why I'm not being called.

Make other plans. If SWA calls, drop 'em...

BD (aka BB) --

No 4-year degree? Last I spoke to you last summer, you were taking like 24 credit hours at a whack! What in the heck happened?

RG (ORD)

It's such a slow process. I've been taking three 3-credit hour classes at a time, but that's only 9 credit hours a quarter, 36 credit hours a year if I do it year round (that's the plan). 120 or so to graduate. Had like 30 that transferred, 34 credited for ATP license.

Gulp. Can't think about it that way or I'll just give up...

Last edited:
Just to set the record straight, new fiscal year begins Jan 1st. Great to hear there are more classes to come. congrats to all who interview and welcome to the newhires.
Bake

How time flies, RG :) I was taking a huge load of classes, right up til my son was born just over 3 years ago. I haven't taken a class since then, and I only need 3 more classes to get the revered four year degree.

SKYWRJGUY said:
BD (aka BB) --

No 4-year degree? Last I spoke to you last summer, you were taking like 24 credit hours at a whack! What in the heck happened?

RG (ORD)

Would be great to hear from people that have gotten SWA interview invitations that did NOT have four year degrees. Kinda wonder if that's the big key right now.

Latest resources

Back